error handling jquery ajax callbacks

Johan Brichau
Hi everyone,

Server-side errors that occur during a (JQuery) ajax callback phase
automatically open a debugger window in the smalltalk image.
Is there a way to catch such errors and send back an error response to
the client?

I think that I am basically looking to send an error response upon any
uncaught error in the callback and allow the onError handler of the
ajax request to popup an error window on the page. I cannot find
anything in Seaside that already does that, or where should I look for
that?

thanks

Re: error handling jquery ajax callbacks

Johan Brichau
Hi again,

The send button was a little too sensitive. Here is what I still
wanted to add.

I currently have something like the code below but I wanted to know if
there are more appropriate ways.

(html jQuery ajax
                callback: [ [1 / 0] on: Error do:[self requestContext respond: [:r |
r internalError]]];
                onError:  (... script to handle the error .... ) ))

cheers
Johan

On 02 Dec 2009, at 21:29, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Server-side errors that occur during a (JQuery) ajax callback phase
> automatically open a debugger window in the smalltalk image.
> Is there a way to catch such errors and send back an error response
> to the client?
>
> I think that I am basically looking to send an error response upon
> any uncaught error in the callback and allow the onError handler of
> the ajax request to popup an error window on the page. I cannot find
> anything in Seaside that already does that, or where should I look
> for that?
>
> thanks

Re: error handling jquery ajax callbacks

Lukas Renggli
Hi Johan,

I guess that you have WADebugErrorHandler or WAWalkbackErrorHandler
selected in your application configuration. If you change the error
handler to a generic WAErrorHandler (or a customized subclass thereof)
no debugger should show up and a response with an error code that can
be handled by the AJAX framework should be sent back.

Lukas

2009/12/2 Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:

> Hi again,
>
> The send button was a little too sensitive. Here is what I still wanted to
> add.
>
> I currently have something like the code below but I wanted to know if there
> are more appropriate ways.
>
> (html jQuery ajax
>                callback: [ [1 / 0] on: Error do:[self requestContext
> respond: [:r | r internalError]]];
>                onError:  (... script to handle the error .... ) ))
>
> cheers
> Johan
>
> On 02 Dec 2009, at 21:29, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Server-side errors that occur during a (JQuery) ajax callback phase
>> automatically open a debugger window in the smalltalk image.
>> Is there a way to catch such errors and send back an error response to the
>> client?
>>
>> I think that I am basically looking to send an error response upon any
>> uncaught error in the callback and allow the onError handler of the ajax
>> request to popup an error window on the page. I cannot find anything in
>> Seaside that already does that, or where should I look for that?
>>
>> thanks

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: error handling jquery ajax callbacks

Johan Brichau
of course!

I got confused when trying different error handlers and never seemed
to get an error response back.
However, it does work so I did something wrong before.

thanks Lukas!