error in Aida Demo app text content (the login link)

error in Aida Demo app text content (the login link)

rshiple
WebDemo >>defaultIntroductionText

there is a little error where the second mention of login is a link to admin.html?view=login  instead of  admin?view=login and a fat 404 results.

I.e. should result in
  http://localhost:8888/admin?view=login

But once the demo app has run, this is difficult to repair for the app instance, WebDemo - especially if the user has saved their image after a start stop "smoke-test" on localhost:8888 (in which case all looked well - an even more so if the correct login link up top was tested.)

I added a >>reset method to SwazooServer so as to set Singleton to nil so that I can force a reload of the DemoApp after a server stop.

The use of >>default and singletons makes it very difficult to force the >>introduction slot to refresh as no >>initialize can be sent and it is poor form to put in a >>new for a singleton.

One doit on
  SwazooServer reset.
and then upon >>demoStart the Demo App refreshed the intro page with the corrected method's content (i.e., login link in the text.)

A new user could waste a lot of time supposing the browser was caching the page even after correcting the method >>defaultIntroductionText  since it has no effect upon stop and start (the app is cached in that Singleton.)

Have I missed something?

This glitch must be discouraging to anyone new to Smalltalk and|or Squeak/Pharo.

My test instance was built using the single-click Pharo on win XP (pharo.exe) and doit on the new Gofer configuration for AidaWeb.

Btw - running the same Pharo + Gofer pattern for Iliad caused a fatal walkback - so all considered, Aida fares better.

But why is this "getting started" bug there?  I came on a similar item in Swiki AniAni the other evening ... is it a symptom of too few newbies?

I am just as puzzled to find no class-side >>reset in SwazooServer class as I think of it as mature.

cheers

Re: error in Aida Demo app text content (the login link)

Janko Mivšek
Hello Robert,

Let me first welcome you to the list and express gratitude for your
immediate contribution with patches and suggestions. More below.

On 30. 09. 2010 00:42, Robert Shiplett wrote:
> WebDemo >>defaultIntroductionText
>
> there is a little error where the second mention of login is a link to admin.html?view=login  instead of  admin?view=login and a fat 404 results.
>
> I.e. should result in
>   http://localhost:8888/admin?view=login

Corrected.

> But once the demo app has run, this is difficult to repair for the app instance, WebDemo - especially if the user has saved their image after a start stop "smoke-test" on localhost:8888 (in which case all looked well - an even more so if the correct login link up top was tested.)

The easiest way to correct is to inspect 'AIDASite default demo' and set
introduction instvar to nil, which will then be filled with a corrected
text the next time used.

Introductory text was put in instvar so that some more text can be
added, when for instance a Scribo CMS is installed.

> I added a >>reset method to SwazooServer so as to set Singleton to nil so that I can force a reload of the DemoApp after a server stop.
>
> The use of >>default and singletons makes it very difficult to force the >>introduction slot to refresh as no >>initialize can be sent and it is poor form to put in a >>new for a singleton.
>
> One doit on
>   SwazooServer reset.
> and then upon >>demoStart the Demo App refreshed the intro page with the corrected method's content (i.e., login link in the text.)

Problem is that you removed and reinitialized a whole Swazoo and default
Aida site that way. Also, SwazooServer should be one and only one in
your image, that's why there is never a need for such drastic measures
and there is no such #reset method.

But for AIDASite>>default, well, there can be useful. But we have
#default: anotherSite method there already...

> A new user could waste a lot of time supposing the browser was caching the page even after correcting the method >>defaultIntroductionText  since it has no effect upon stop and start (the app is cached in that Singleton.)
>
> Have I missed something?
>
> This glitch must be discouraging to anyone new to Smalltalk and|or Squeak/Pharo.

You are true. I'll immediately release a new version of Aida to
Squeak/Pharo to avoid such discouragement.

> My test instance was built using the single-click Pharo on win XP (pharo.exe) and doit on the new Gofer configuration for AidaWeb.
>
> Btw - running the same Pharo + Gofer pattern for Iliad caused a fatal walkback - so all considered, Aida fares better.
>
> But why is this "getting started" bug there?  I came on a similar item in Swiki AniAni the other evening ... is it a symptom of too few newbies?

Good question! I'd say most newbies just install Aida up to the the
running state, then look around and to the Aida website a bit. It seems
that they login by link in a header instead of introduction instead.

I otherwise see quite frequent referals from such newbie Aida websites
from our website statistics:
http://www.aidaweb.si/stat.html?view=referers. This is quite a good
measure how much is Aida tested by newbies IMHO.

> I am just as puzzled to find no class-side >>reset in SwazooServer class as I think of it as mature.

As I said before I don't see the reason for this new #reset to reset the
Swazoo singleton. Much simpler is to simply nil instvars from inspector,
if really needed.

Thanks again and best regards
Janko

--