errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Andreas Petermann-2
Hi list,

using FileProxies in Aida on windows unsheathe a lot of problems/errors
handling files. Has somebody solve this and I can upgrade to a newer
version of Sport? I am currently using Sport-2.031. If nobody has done
something in that way I can do this.

regards

Andreas

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Janko Mivšek
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Petermann wrote:

> using FileProxies in Aida on windows unsheathe a lot of problems/errors
> handling files. Has somebody solve this and I can upgrade to a newer
> version of Sport? I am currently using Sport-2.031. If nobody has done
> something in that way I can do this.

You probably mean Squeak Sport on Windows? Squeak SpFilename has quite
some issues on all platforms anyway. First, it is not efficient at all
and here some effort is really needed to improve it. You are very
welcome to help!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Andreas Petermann-2

Hi Janko,

> using FileProxies in Aida on windows unsheathe a lot of problems/errors
> handling files. Has somebody solve this and I can upgrade to a newer
> version of Sport? I am currently using Sport-2.031. If nobody has done
> something in that way I can do this.

You probably mean Squeak Sport on Windows? Squeak SpFilename has quite
some issues on all platforms anyway. First, it is not efficient at all
and here some effort is really needed to improve it. You are very
welcome to help!

Yes it is about the Squeak Sport on Windows and ok, I start working on it.

Andreas

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi all,

> You probably mean Squeak Sport on Windows? Squeak SpFilename has quite
> some issues on all platforms anyway. First, it is not efficient at all
> and here some effort is really needed to improve it. You are very
> welcome to help!

At least, I've written a bug fix on Squeak Sport on Windows.
(Please see the attached file).

One of the problems in Squeak Sport is that it is not well packaged.
It contains both original Sport code and Sport extensions for Swazoo.

Anyway, Sport and Swazoo repositories are here. So everyone can contribute:
http://mc.bioskop.fr/

Personally, I think FileMan could be a replacement of SpFilename.
http://map.squeak.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-b36527a100c1

FileMan was started as a Squeak file abstraction library, but now it
runs on VW also (you can see FileMan bundle on Public Store).

Best regards,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

SportFix-080504.1.cs (376 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Janko Mivšek
Hi Masashi,

Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

>> You probably mean Squeak Sport on Windows? Squeak SpFilename has quite
>> some issues on all platforms anyway. First, it is not efficient at all
>> and here some effort is really needed to improve it. You are very
>> welcome to help!
>>

> At least, I've written a bug fix on Squeak Sport on Windows.
> (Please see the attached file).
>
> One of the problems in Squeak Sport is that it is not well packaged.
> It contains both original Sport code and Sport extensions for Swazoo.

That is a problem, yes, because it seems that Squeak tools don't
separate original from extension, specially not overridden code. So you
need always to work with original Sport code while enhancing it.

Also Sport API needs to stay as is it so the only possibility to extend
is in packages using it.

> Anyway, Sport and Swazoo repositories are here. So everyone can contribute:
> http://mc.bioskop.fr/
>
> Personally, I think FileMan could be a replacement of SpFilename.
> http://map.squeak.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-b36527a100c1
>
> FileMan was started as a Squeak file abstraction library, but now it
> runs on VW also (you can see FileMan bundle on Public Store).

We cannot change Sport API (at least not fast) but I suppose that we can
learn from FileMan how to make existing SpFilename better. But yes,
having a better portable file management for all Smalltalks would be
just perfect. SpFilename is a try, too VW centric IMO but still.

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Andreas Petermann-2
Hi,

i have added some simple code for handling files on windows. At least the FileProxy should work on windows now. The changes are in the attached file. Perhaps someone can have a look on it?

regards
Andreas

2008/5/19 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
Hi Masashi,

SpFilename.st (10K) Download Attachment

Re: errors using Sport-Files package on wndows

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the patch. I've loaded it and confirmed it works well on Windows.
According to VW, I've applied the changes as Swazoo-extensions, not
Sport itself.

So the latest packages are:
http://mc.bioskop.fr/Swazoo/Swazoo-mu.4.mcz
http://mc.bioskop.fr/Sport/Sport-mu.2.mcz

I hope this packaging is successful.

2008/5/28 Andreas Petermann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> i have added some simple code for handling files on windows. At least the
> FileProxy should work on windows now. The changes are in the attached file.
> Perhaps someone can have a look on it?
>
> regards
> Andreas
>
> 2008/5/19 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Masashi,

>> > At least, I've written a bug fix on Squeak Sport on Windows.
>> > (Please see the attached file).
>> >
>> > One of the problems in Squeak Sport is that it is not well packaged.
>> > It contains both original Sport code and Sport extensions for Swazoo.
>>
>> That is a problem, yes, because it seems that Squeak tools don't
>> separate original from extension, specially not overridden code. So you
>> need always to work with original Sport code while enhancing it.
>>
>> Also Sport API needs to stay as is it so the only possibility to extend
>> is in packages using it.
>>
>> > Anyway, Sport and Swazoo repositories are here. So everyone can
>> > contribute:
>> > http://mc.bioskop.fr/
>> >
>> > Personally, I think FileMan could be a replacement of SpFilename.
>> > http://map.squeak.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-b36527a100c1
>> >
>> > FileMan was started as a Squeak file abstraction library, but now it
>> > runs on VW also (you can see FileMan bundle on Public Store).
>>
>> We cannot change Sport API (at least not fast) but I suppose that we can
>> learn from FileMan how to make existing SpFilename better. But yes,
>> having a better portable file management for all Smalltalks would be
>> just perfect. SpFilename is a try, too VW centric IMO but still.
>>
>> Best regards
>> JAnko
>>
>> --
>> Janko Mivšek