errors while building a cog development image

errors while building a cog development image

SophieKaleba

Hi,

I have tried to build a cog dvlpt image using the following instructions :
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/image
$ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh

while running the script, i get 2 errors (see attached file):
- "Context cannot be changed"
- and then "stackp store failure"
which prevent me from actually building the image (the last error goes in an infinite loop)

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

I am using Ubuntu 15.10, 64 bits.

Thanks
Sophie

lasterror+transcript.png (735K) Download Attachment

Re: errors while building a cog development image

Ben Coman

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Sophie Kaleba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have tried to build a cog dvlpt image using the following instructions :
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/image
$ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh

while running the script, i get 2 errors (see attached file):
- "Context cannot be changed"
- and then "stackp store failure"
which prevent me from actually building the image (the last error goes in an infinite loop)

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

I am using Ubuntu 15.10, 64 bits.

Thanks
Sophie

I tried this myself and noticed it fail when loading "CogCompatability".
If you look down the stack to "MCClassDefintion>>createClass",
the instance variable "name" holds #Context.
Context has only recently been introduced to Squeak.
Previously it needed to be loaded by "CogCompatability".
Now its an error for "CogCompatability" to try redefining this core system class.

I got it to work by removing "CogCompatability"
from the manifest in BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st  ...

    manifest := #(
        ('http://source.squeak.org/FFI' 1 ('FFI-Pools' 'FFI-Kernel'))
             ('Balloon-Engine-Pools' 'BytecodeSets.spur'  'VMMaker.oscog' 'CogCompatibility'  .....

And then running ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh,

cheers -ben

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:40 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

btw you might find this interesting...

cheers -ben

Re: errors while building a cog development image

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Sophie, Hi Ben,

   thanks!  This issue is because until recently Squeak used ContextPart and MethodContext as the class names for contexts, while Pharo had changed to just using Context.  Now Squeak trunk is using Context too the compatibility package isn't needed.  I've updated the load script to eliminate CogCompatibility.st as you two both did.  That's pushed to github.  I'm also committing versions of VMMaker and Cog that no longer use the deprecated includedSubString:, so the builds should work less noisily now.

Sophie, welcome!  I for one would love to know what your plans with VMMaker are.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: errors while building a cog development image

Nicolas Cellier

Thanks Ben
I can provide a patch, but cannot test it currently probably because of
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/135

[...]

Hi Eliot,
I was solving this concurrently, but was stopped by the scripts that load a 'good' vm, not so good for MacOS Sierra...
I'm committing now because of the LF linefeed instead of CR carriage return for git traceability.
If you could provide an updated VM for Sierra (or switch to the bintray artefacts), it would be fine!

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sophie, Hi Ben,

   thanks!  This issue is because until recently Squeak used ContextPart and MethodContext as the class names for contexts, while Pharo had changed to just using Context.  Now Squeak trunk is using Context too the compatibility package isn't needed.  I've updated the load script to eliminate CogCompatibility.st as you two both did.  That's pushed to github.  I'm also committing versions of VMMaker and Cog that no longer use the deprecated includedSubString:, so the builds should work less noisily now.

Thanks Eliot.
btw, today I was manually loading the packages specified in "BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st" into Pharo
and when loading  BytecodeSets.spur-eem.75  I get the warning it depends on...
  MethodContext
  ContextPart
which I report just in case this could benefit from a cleanup.

cheers -ben

[...]

Thanks Eliot!
I (may) work on the VMProfiler as a gsoc and I was trying to make it work on my computer, but it crashed every time, whatever Squeak VM I was using. So I wanted to make an attempt with a development image, just in case.
It eventually worked with the latest Squeak VM :-)

Sophie

On May 3, 2017, at 6:18 AM, Sophie Kaleba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I assure you that it does work in the vm and in a Squeak image :-). I depend on this tool when analyzing vm performance.  I hope to fix the vm download script and hence the image build scripts today (but am busy this morning) so it should be easier to test.  IIRC it is loaded into the script-built VMMaker image so you could try it there.  Don't hesitate to contact me for operating instructions.  I'm on Skype.  Clément has my contact info.