esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

jtuchel
HI,

I have this ugly problem that Instantiations still has a flawed implementation of Exception Handling in VAST. So some SQL errors do not show up in error logs or the file walk back log.

So here is a workaround they suggest:

VADatabaseAccessor loggingErrorsEnabled: true.

will write SQL errors to the Transcript. Combined with a -l startup parameter, this would mean there will be a file with all Transcript output including Glorp Errors.

Unfortunately, this does not work on my headless linux server, which uses the esnx executable. I start it with

Re: esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

jtuchel
(sorry, nervous fingers...)

I start esnx with -lTranscript.log and would expect the file Transcript.log to be written to the image directory.

But there is no Transcript.log nor any other log file other than useless Walkback.logs that tell me there was an ExGlorpWriteException, but no more details on the exception.

So either esnx doesn't use -l or I am doing something wrong...

Any help is highly appreciated. There's nothing more annoying than a web server that breaks down form time to time without any information on why...

Joachim

Am Sonntag, 9. März 2014 11:13:11 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:
HI,

I have this ugly problem that Instantiations still has a flawed implementation of Exception Handling in VAST. So some SQL errors do not show up in error logs or the file walk back log.

So here is a workaround they suggest:

VADatabaseAccessor loggingErrorsEnabled: true.

will write SQL errors to the Transcript. Combined with a -l startup parameter, this would mean there will be a file with all Transcript output including Glorp Errors.

Unfortunately, this does not work on my headless linux server, which uses the esnx executable. I start it with

Re: esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

Marten Feldtmann-2
Try to use the redirection possibilities of the Unix shell into a file ...

Marten

Re: esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

jtuchel
Thanks, Marten,

I'll try that.
Strange I didn't think of it.

Joachim

Am Sonntag, 9. März 2014 12:51:28 UTC+1 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Try to use the redirection possibilities of the Unix shell into a file ...

Marten

Re: esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

jtuchel
Hi Marten,

So here is now my last line of the bat startup bash script:

$VASTROOT/bin/esnx -ikontolino.icx -ltranscript.log "$@" 1>> stdout.log 2>> stderr.log

And in fact it does immediately write an empty stderr.log and all transcript output is now redirected to stdout.log. I'll probably change this to '&> everything.log' in the near future, but I want to see if there is ever any output to stderr.

To me this means esnx doesn't handle the -l parameter correctly, but you can work around this by using standard Linux tools. Is the non-handling of -l documented of esnx anywhere? Is this also true for other VAST executables, like esvio.exe or any other?

I haven't had the SQL error I am hunting for yet, but I hope I'll soon get it so that I can hunt it down and kill it asap.

Thanks, Marten!

Joachim

Am Sonntag, 9. März 2014 12:51:28 UTC+1 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Try to use the redirection possibilities of the Unix shell into a file ...

Marten

Re: esnx doesn't accept -l parameter

John O'Keefe-3
Joachim -

-l is only supported on Windows. Here is its description from our documentation:
On Windows, this option causes terminal (TTY) output to be logged to the file FILENAME. The default is not to log TTY output. If -l is entered without a file name, the output goes to the file ESVMLOG.

John

On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:33:33 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

thanks. So on Linux I have to use the bash redirection options as Marten stated. I tried and it works. I couldn't catch the SQL error yet, but I get a log file with Transcript output,

Matter fixed. Thanks

Joachim

Am Montag, 10. März 2014 19:44:07 UTC+1 schrieb John O'Keefe:
[...]

I have opened case 54000 to deal with the problem of esnx not reacting to the -l command line argument. On page stug50 (Starting from a command line), I have added the following paragraph to the description of the -l command line argument:

On UNIX systems, use redirection of stdout and stderr instead of –l. For example, use > ESVMLOG 2>&1 to log to file ESVMLOG.

John