expanding text morph

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I would like to create a Text Morph that wraps the text horizontally, and expands the height to fit the text. Thus, this morph would never offer scrolling.

How could I do that?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: expanding text morph

Gary Chambers-4
Hi Doru

|textMorph|
textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
textMorph
 hResizing: #spaceFill;
 borderWidth: 1.
(UITheme builder newColumn: {textMorph}) openInWindow.
textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here

Get a halo and inspect the text morph
then use #contentsWrapped: to change text

and see the results!

#rigid hResizing also works.'

Have fun!

Regards, Gary

Re: expanding text morph

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks, Gary!

And now the next question:
If I place this one in a surrounding pane / expander / tab, how do I get the surrounding morph to resize when the text changes?

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 Aug 2011, at 12:15, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Hi Doru
>

> |textMorph|
> textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
> textMorph
> hResizing: #spaceFill;
> borderWidth: 1.
> (UITheme builder newColumn: {textMorph}) openInWindow.
> textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here
>
> Get a halo and inspect the text morph
> then use #contentsWrapped: to change text
>

> and see the results!
>
> #rigid hResizing also works.'
>

> Have fun!
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: expanding text morph

Gary Chambers-4
In the following example the expander resizes

|textMorph|
textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
textMorph
 hResizing: #spaceFill;
 borderWidth: 1.
(UITheme builder newColumn: {
 UITheme builder newExpander: 'One' for: textMorph.
 UITheme builder newExpander: 'Two' for: Morph new}) openInWindow.

textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here
use #contentsWrapped: to change text'

In general, if the surrounding morph has #shrinkWrap constraints then
changes to the (minimum) dimensions of its submorphs will propagate
resulting in a change of size for the surrounding morph.

Regards, Gary

If I place this one in a surrounding pane / expander / tab, how do I get the
surrounding morph to resize when the text changes?

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 Aug 2011, at 12:15, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Hi Doru
>

> |textMorph|
> textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
> textMorph
> hResizing: #spaceFill;
> borderWidth: 1.
> (UITheme builder newColumn: {textMorph}) openInWindow.
> textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here
>
> Get a halo and inspect the text morph
> then use #contentsWrapped: to change text
>

> and see the results!
>
> #rigid hResizing also works.'
>

> Have fun!
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>

Pretty cool!

Thanks,
Doru

On 24 Aug 2011, at 11:54, Gary Chambers wrote:

> In the following example the expander resizes
>
> |textMorph|
> textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
> textMorph
> hResizing: #spaceFill;
> borderWidth: 1.
> (UITheme builder newColumn: {
> UITheme builder newExpander: 'One' for: textMorph.
> UITheme builder newExpander: 'Two' for: Morph new}) openInWindow.
>
> textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here
> use #contentsWrapped: to change text'
>
> In general, if the surrounding morph has #shrinkWrap constraints then changes to the (minimum) dimensions of its submorphs will propagate resulting in a change of size for the surrounding morph.
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: expanding text morph

Tudor Girba-2
Ok, here comes a follow up question.

I would like now to have the morph in a tab, have the tab in the expander, and get this tab to resize when the inner text morph changes. I tried to make the tab shrinkWrap, but it does not seem to work there. Is it possible that this is a problem of the TabGroupMorph?

Here is the code I used:
textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
textMorph
        hResizing: #spaceFill;
        borderWidth: 1;
        unlock.
tabs := TabGroupMorph new.
tabs
        vResizing: #shrinkWrap;
        hResizing:  #spaceFill;
        addPage: textMorph label: 'Tab'.
tabs selectedPageIndex: 1.

(UITheme builder newColumn: {
UITheme builder newExpander: 'One' for: tabs.

On 25 Aug 2011, at 01:24, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Pretty cool!
>
> Thanks,
> Doru
>

> On 24 Aug 2011, at 11:54, Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> In the following example the expander resizes
>>
>> |textMorph|
>> textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
>> textMorph
>> hResizing: #spaceFill;
>> borderWidth: 1.
>> (UITheme builder newColumn: {
>> UITheme builder newExpander: 'One' for: textMorph.
>> UITheme builder newExpander: 'Two' for: Morph new}) openInWindow.
>>
>> textMorph contentsWrapped: 'Some text here
>> use #contentsWrapped: to change text'
>>
>> In general, if the surrounding morph has #shrinkWrap constraints then changes to the (minimum) dimensions of its submorphs will propagate resulting in a change of size for the surrounding morph.
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: expanding text morph

Gary Chambers-4
Hi Doru.

When adding a page to a tab group the morph has its h/v resizing set to
#spaceFill, so needs resetting after addding:

textMorph := UITheme builder newText: ''.
textMorph
 borderWidth: 1;
 unlock.
tabs := TabGroupMorph new.
tabs
 vResizing: #shrinkWrap;
 hResizing:  #spaceFill;
 addPage: textMorph label: 'Tab'.
 tabs selectedPageIndex: 1.
textMorph vResizing: #shrinkWrap. "or #rigid will do"