expiryPathFor:

Richard Eng
In my Seaside app, I want to specify a particular URL to go to in case the
session expires. As far as I can tell, the way to do this is to use
#expiryPathFor: from WAApplication/WARegistry. However, I don't know how to
get at the WAApplication/WARegistry object for my app. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: expiryPathFor:

Randal L. Schwartz

Richard> In my Seaside app, I want to specify a particular URL to go to in case the
Richard> session expires. As far as I can tell, the way to do this is to use
Richard> #expiryPathFor: from WAApplication/WARegistry. However, I don't know how to
Richard> get at the WAApplication/WARegistry object for my app. Can anyone tell me?

MyApp class>>#initialize
  "self initialize"
  | thisApplication |
  super initialize.
  thisApplication := self registerAsApplication: #myapplicationprefix.
  " your code would go here "
  thisApplication expiryPathFor: ...

or something like that (untested).  But that's where you can get at
the application object.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

RE: expiryPathFor:

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
self session application

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: expiryPathFor:

jgfoster
On May 14, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Richard K Eng wrote:

> In my Seaside app, I want to specify a particular URL to go to in
> case the session expires. As far as I can tell, the way to do this
> is to use #expiryPathFor: from WAApplication/WARegistry. However, I
> don't know how to get at the WAApplication/WARegistry object for my
> app. Can anyone tell me?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

See http://kentreis.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/showing-a-session-expired-notice-in-seaside/
  for an example.

James

Re: expiryPathFor:

jgfoster
On May 14, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Richard> In my Seaside app, I want to specify a particular URL to go
> to in case the
> Richard> session expires. As far as I can tell, the way to do this
> is to use
> Richard> #expiryPathFor: from WAApplication/WARegistry. However, I
> don't know how to
> Richard> get at the WAApplication/WARegistry object for my app. Can
> anyone tell me?
>
> MyApp class>>#initialize
> "self initialize"
> | thisApplication |
> super initialize.
> thisApplication := self registerAsApplication: #myapplicationprefix.
> " your code would go here "
> thisApplication expiryPathFor: ...
>
> or something like that (untested).  But that's where you can get at
> the application object.

While it is true that this gives you the application object,
#expiryPathFor: is more of a getter than a setter. It *returns* a new
path, it doesn't set a path. What Richard should have said instead of
"the way to do this is to use #expiryPathFor:' was "the way to do this
is to *override* #expiryPathFor:'. And then the question becomes how
to create (not access) an application as a different class.

James

Is it necessary to subclass WAApplication to provide an expiryHandler?

jgfoster
Interestingly, while researching this issue I came across a bug report
from Boris on how to specify a different application. See http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-June/012613.html
  where Philippe suggests that "we think [specifying an expired
handler] should be doable easier than by subclassing WAApplication." I
can't find evidence that this was ever made easier.

James