exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

12

exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.

In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, this looks like a bug. The issue is that the export is done only at the Fame level, and the metrics are not described at that level.

So, we should probably define the metrics as Fame properties as well.

A ticket must be opened :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 Jun 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>
> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:08 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Indeed, this looks like a bug. The issue is that the export is done only at the Fame level, and the metrics are not described at that level.

ok now I do not understand why the tests that covered that aspect did not show it.
So they got removed them?
;-/

Savings metrics like LOC is not something optional if we want to store model.

Stef

> So, we should probably define the metrics as Fame properties as well.
>
> A ticket must be opened :).
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 22 Jun 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
>> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>>
>> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Live like you mean it."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

On 23 Jun 2011, at 07:53, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:08 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Indeed, this looks like a bug. The issue is that the export is done only at the Fame level, and the metrics are not described at that level.
>
> ok now I do not understand why the tests that covered that aspect did not show it.
> So they got removed them?
> ;-/

Hmm, I do not find any tests related to the export of metrics in the current image.

> Savings metrics like LOC is not something optional if we want to store model.

Sure.

Doru

> Stef
>>
>> So, we should probably define the metrics as Fame properties as well.
>>
>> A ticket must be opened :).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 22 Jun 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
>>> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>>>
>>> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Live like you mean it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

simondenier
At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).

Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional? That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.

On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>
> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>
> Stef

Simon Denier

On Jun 23, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On 23 Jun 2011, at 07:53, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:08 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Indeed, this looks like a bug. The issue is that the export is done only at the Fame level, and the metrics are not described at that level.
>>
>> ok now I do not understand why the tests that covered that aspect did not show it.
>> So they got removed them?
>> ;-/
>
> Hmm, I do not find any tests related to the export of metrics in the current image.

I imagine but I'm sure I wrote some tests to check that a saved and reimported model did not lose its metrics in the past

>> Savings metrics like LOC is not something optional if we want to store model.
>
> Sure.
>
> Doru
>

>> Stef
>>>
>>> So, we should probably define the metrics as Fame properties as well.
>>>
>>> A ticket must be opened :).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Live like you mean it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Live like you mean it."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

> At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).

but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc

> Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?

I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
        : select what to save
        : select the format
        -> tab separated, mse, xml

> That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.
>

> On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
>> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>>
>> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>>
>> Stef

> Simon Denier

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Andre Hora
Hello,

Just returning to this topic.

As most of the metrics are not described at the Fame level we are losing this information when we export a model to MSE in Moose. We know that most of the metrics can be recalculated in the model, but in some cases they cannot.
For example, when exporting in Moose a Java (VerveineJ) model we lose the metrics cyclomaticComplexity (CYCLO) and numberOfStatements (NOS) and we cannot recalculate them.

So, to avoid it, I changed some metrics (some I think are important, but we can change them if we integrate in Moose) to be described at the Fame level and like that we can export them into a MSE. In this case, as the we could have a huge MSE, I implemented a filter and you can select the metrics to be exported through a wizard. It solves, for example, the lose of information with VerveineJ if you decide to export CYCLO and NOS.

To try you can run the script below and the right-click in a MooseModel and: Import / Export -> Export model to MSE with metrics. Use the last version of Merlin.

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'FameImportExportEx';
    package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions';
    package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE';
    load.

regards,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).

but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc

> Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?

I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
       : select what to save
       : select the format
       -> tab separated, mse, xml

> That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.
>

> On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
>> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
>>
>> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
>>
>> Stef

> Simon Denier

Andre Hora

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Andre,

I took a quick look. Annotating the metrics as real MSE properties is definitely the way to go. We should integrate that in FAMIX-Extensios. I did not take a closer look, but from a distance I also like the visitor solution for exporting a filtered model.

Now, I would like to provide a bit of feedback for the way you implemented this:

- You created a complete new repository that is specific to this task. This is a problem because afterwards, this repository will die because it does not really contain a project. For spike implementations like this, I would suggest to either use MoosePlayground, or have your own in which you play with multiple smaller tasks. This makes it easier to track the changes.

- To affect the changes on the FAMIX classes you copied the methods in your package. This means that when I load your package, I will override my methods. This makes it hard and error-prone to integrate them afterwards. Instead, you should have simply published the FAMIX-Extensions package in your repository and apply changes on that one. Afterwards, merging would have been straightforward. Could you try that?

- You created 2 packages in Monticello:
'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions'
'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE'
The problem is that when you will have both loaded in the image and you will try to save 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions', you will also save in the same package the code from the ''Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE' category. That is because Monticello relies on string pattern matching to map image categories to packages (bad thing, but that is what we have now).
So, the rule of thumb is: never nest categories with '-'

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Jul 2011, at 13:51, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just returning to this topic.
>
> As most of the metrics are not described at the Fame level we are losing this information when we export a model to MSE in Moose. We know that most of the metrics can be recalculated in the model, but in some cases they cannot.
> For example, when exporting in Moose a Java (VerveineJ) model we lose the metrics cyclomaticComplexity (CYCLO) and numberOfStatements (NOS) and we cannot recalculate them.
>
> So, to avoid it, I changed some metrics (some I think are important, but we can change them if we integrate in Moose) to be described at the Fame level and like that we can export them into a MSE. In this case, as the we could have a huge MSE, I implemented a filter and you can select the metrics to be exported through a wizard. It solves, for example, the lose of information with VerveineJ if you decide to export CYCLO and NOS.
>
> To try you can run the script below and the right-click in a MooseModel and: Import / Export -> Export model to MSE with metrics. Use the last version of Merlin.
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'FameImportExportEx';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE';
>     load.
>
> regards,
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).
>
> but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
>
> > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
>
> I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
>        : select what to save
>        : select the format
>        -> tab separated, mse, xml
>

> > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.
> >

> > On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys
> >>
> >> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
> >> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
> >>
> >> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
> >>
> >> Stef
> >
> > --
> > Simon Denier

> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.

Stef

On Jul 14, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just returning to this topic.
>
> As most of the metrics are not described at the Fame level we are losing this information when we export a model to MSE in Moose. We know that most of the metrics can be recalculated in the model, but in some cases they cannot.
> For example, when exporting in Moose a Java (VerveineJ) model we lose the metrics cyclomaticComplexity (CYCLO) and numberOfStatements (NOS) and we cannot recalculate them.
>
> So, to avoid it, I changed some metrics (some I think are important, but we can change them if we integrate in Moose) to be described at the Fame level and like that we can export them into a MSE. In this case, as the we could have a huge MSE, I implemented a filter and you can select the metrics to be exported through a wizard. It solves, for example, the lose of information with VerveineJ if you decide to export CYCLO and NOS.
>
> To try you can run the script below and the right-click in a MooseModel and: Import / Export -> Export model to MSE with metrics. Use the last version of Merlin.
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'FameImportExportEx';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE';
>     load.
>
> regards,
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).
>
> but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
>
> > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
>
> I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
>        : select what to save
>        : select the format
>        -> tab separated, mse, xml
>

> > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.
> >

> > On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys
> >>
> >> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
> >> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
> >>
> >> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
> >>
> >> Stef
> >
> > --
> > Simon Denier

> Andre Hora

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Andre Hora
Hello,

Yes Stef.
Doru thanks for the feedback. You can check the code in (remember to use the last Merlin and updated the meta-model):

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'HoraExp';
    package: 'FameExportMSE';
    package: 'FameExportProperties';
    package: 'Famix-Extensions';
    load.

regards,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.

Stef

On Jul 14, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just returning to this topic.
>
> As most of the metrics are not described at the Fame level we are losing this information when we export a model to MSE in Moose. We know that most of the metrics can be recalculated in the model, but in some cases they cannot.
> For example, when exporting in Moose a Java (VerveineJ) model we lose the metrics cyclomaticComplexity (CYCLO) and numberOfStatements (NOS) and we cannot recalculate them.
>
> So, to avoid it, I changed some metrics (some I think are important, but we can change them if we integrate in Moose) to be described at the Fame level and like that we can export them into a MSE. In this case, as the we could have a huge MSE, I implemented a filter and you can select the metrics to be exported through a wizard. It solves, for example, the lose of information with VerveineJ if you decide to export CYCLO and NOS.
>
> To try you can run the script below and the right-click in a MooseModel and: Import / Export -> Export model to MSE with metrics. Use the last version of Merlin.
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'FameImportExportEx';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions';
>     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE';
>     load.
>
> regards,
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).
>
> but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
>
> > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
>
> I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
>        : select what to save
>        : select the format
>        -> tab separated, mse, xml
>

> > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.
> >

> > On 22 juin 2011, at 15:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys
> >>
> >> I could not find metrics in the saved MSE metrics like LOC that cannot be computed by moose.
> >> Are metrics saved? I remember writing tests to make sure that this was correct.
> >>
> >> In addition it would be good to be able to select some metrics to be exported to other formats.
> >>
> >> Stef
> >
> > --
> > Simon Denier

> Andre Hora

Andre Hora

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Stéphane Ducasse
andre

are you at the lab tomorrow?

Stef

On Jul 14, 2011, at 7:46 PM, Andre Hora wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
> >
> > > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
> >
> > I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
> >        : select what to save
> >        : select the format
> >        -> tab separated, mse, xml
> >

> > > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.

> > > --
> > > Simon Denier

> > --
> > Andre Hora

> Andre Hora

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Up to now no, but I can go :)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).
> >
> > but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
> >
> > > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
> >
> > I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
> >        : select what to save
> >        : select the format
> >        -> tab separated, mse, xml
> >

> > > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.

Andre Hora

On 14 Jul 2011, at 19:46, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes Stef.
> Doru thanks for the feedback. You can check the code in (remember to use the last Merlin and updated the meta-model):
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'HoraExp';
>     package: 'FameExportMSE';

I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.

>     package: 'FameExportProperties';

Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.

>     package: 'Famix-Extensions';

This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)

Cheers,
Doru

>     load.
>
> regards,
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 14, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Andre Hora wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just returning to this topic.
> >
> > As most of the metrics are not described at the Fame level we are losing this information when we export a model to MSE in Moose. We know that most of the metrics can be recalculated in the model, but in some cases they cannot.
> > For example, when exporting in Moose a Java (VerveineJ) model we lose the metrics cyclomaticComplexity (CYCLO) and numberOfStatements (NOS) and we cannot recalculate them.
> >
> > So, to avoid it, I changed some metrics (some I think are important, but we can change them if we integrate in Moose) to be described at the Fame level and like that we can export them into a MSE. In this case, as the we could have a huge MSE, I implemented a filter and you can select the metrics to be exported through a wizard. It solves, for example, the lose of information with VerveineJ if you decide to export CYCLO and NOS.
> >
> > To try you can run the script below and the right-click in a MooseModel and: Import / Export -> Export model to MSE with metrics. Use the last version of Merlin.
> >
> > Gofer new
> >     squeaksource: 'FameImportExportEx';
> >     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions';
> >     package: 'Fame-ImportExport-Extensions-MSE';
> >     load.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > At one point metrics were described in the meta-model but then MSE files were very large, slow to export (because you have to compute all metrics), and slow to load (this was a long time ago). We decided to remove them from the Smalltalk MSE export (although the MSE importer can still handle metrics and other data, like for example when importing from infusion/verveinej).
> >
> > but even in Smalltalk you need to keep loc
> >
> > > Now is the interface to select what to export/import functional?
> >
> > I do not know but this is something you we should definitively do
> >        : select what to save
> >        : select the format
> >        -> tab separated, mse, xml
> >

> > > That would be the way to go. Then describe metrics as part of a Fame package 'Metrics', then we can select group of data by package. I would still like to be able to not export metrics in the MSE file.

> > > --
> > > Simon Denier

> > --
> > Andre Hora

> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Andre,

I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:

FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
" <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
                        'The number of lines of code in a class'>"

        <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
        <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>

        ^self
                lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
                computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]

The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.

So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
I added a couple of tests to describe the situation:

VerveineJModelTest>>testCyclomaticComplexity
VerveineJModelTest>>testNumberOfStatements

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2011, at 12:23, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:
>
> FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
> " <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
> 'The number of lines of code in a class'>"
>
> <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
> <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>
>
> ^self
> lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
> computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]
>

> The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.
>
> So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 14 Jul 2011, at 19:46, Andre Hora wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yes Stef.
>>> Doru thanks for the feedback. You can check the code in (remember to use the last Merlin and updated the meta-model):
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>   squeaksource: 'HoraExp';
>>>   package: 'FameExportMSE';
>>
>> I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.
>>
>>>   package: 'FameExportProperties';
>>
>> Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.
>>
>>>   package: 'Famix-Extensions';
>>
>> This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>>   load.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> --
>>> Andre Hora

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Beauty is where we see it."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Andre Hora
humm..yes in fact.
The problem is that, now in the description <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number> the first argument must be the name of the method (and consequently the name of the property in Fame description), while, for example, in <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:'The number of lines of code in a class'> the first argument may have a different name, that's it?
I will have a look.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added a couple of tests to describe the situation:

VerveineJModelTest>>testCyclomaticComplexity
VerveineJModelTest>>testNumberOfStatements

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2011, at 12:23, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:
>
> FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
> "     <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
>                       'The number of lines of code in a class'>"
>
>       <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
>       <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>
>
>       ^self
>               lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
>               computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]
>

> The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.
>
> So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 14 Jul 2011, at 19:46, Andre Hora wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yes Stef.
>>> Doru thanks for the feedback. You can check the code in (remember to use the last Merlin and updated the meta-model):
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>   squeaksource: 'HoraExp';
>>>   package: 'FameExportMSE';
>>
>> I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.
>>
>>>   package: 'FameExportProperties';
>>
>> Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.
>>
>>>   package: 'Famix-Extensions';
>>
>> This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>>   load.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> --
>>> Andre Hora

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Beauty is where we see it."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Andre Hora

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
It is not enough. Also the lookup should be by the short name.

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2011, at 13:14, Andre Hora wrote:

> humm..yes in fact.
> The problem is that, now in the description <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number> the first argument must be the name of the method (and consequently the name of the property in Fame description), while, for example, in <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:'The number of lines of code in a class'> the first argument may have a different name, that's it?
> I will have a look.
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I added a couple of tests to describe the situation:
>
> VerveineJModelTest>>testCyclomaticComplexity
> VerveineJModelTest>>testNumberOfStatements
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 15 Jul 2011, at 12:23, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Hi Andre,
> >
> > I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:
> >
> > FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
> > "     <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
> >                       'The number of lines of code in a class'>"
> >
> >       <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
> >       <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>
> >
> >       ^self
> >               lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
> >               computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]
> >

> > The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.
> >
> > So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.

> >> Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.

> >> This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>
> >> "Beauty is where we see it."
> >>

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Being happy is a matter of choice."
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Live like you mean it."

> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

doru

I was discussing with andre and I would like to be able to tag a property as essential = non recomputable so that we can garantee that
we always save them.
what do you think about that?

Stef

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:
>
> FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
> " <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
> 'The number of lines of code in a class'>"
>
> <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
> <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>
>
> ^self
> lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
> computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]
>

> The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.
>
> So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 14 Jul 2011, at 19:46, Andre Hora wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yes Stef.
>>> Doru thanks for the feedback. You can check the code in (remember to use the last Merlin and updated the meta-model):
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>   squeaksource: 'HoraExp';
>>>   package: 'FameExportMSE';
>>
>> I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.
>>
>>>   package: 'FameExportProperties';
>>
>> Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.
>>
>>>   package: 'Famix-Extensions';
>>
>> This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>>   load.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> grab me next time I'm around because I want to have a look at that.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> --
>>> Andre Hora

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Beauty is where we see it."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: exporting model to mse? do they keep the metrics

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I do not understand what "non recomputable" means. Right now, everything that is not derived is saved. Why is this not enough? I need a use case to understand :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2011, at 21:19, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> doru
>
> I was discussing with andre and I would like to be able to tag a property as essential = non recomputable so that we can garantee that
> we always save them.
> what do you think about that?
>

> Stef
>
> On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Andre,
>>
>> I just saw that the latest Moose build failed because of mismatch between the names of metric properties. For example:
>>
>> FAMIXType>>numberOfLinesOfCode
>> " <property: #WLOC longName: 'Number of lines of code' description:
>> 'The number of lines of code in a class'>"
>>
>> <MSEProperty: #numberOfLinesOfCode type: #Number>
>> <MSEComment: 'The number of lines of code in a class'>
>>
>> ^self
>> lookUpPropertyNamed: #numberOfLinesOfCode
>> computedAs: [self methodsGroup sum: #numberOfLinesOfCode]
>>

>> The name of the metric should be WLOC. This is historical and it is a metric used to communicate with external parsers.
>>
>> So, all in all we need the name of the old properties in the Fame description. Could you take care of that?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:05, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I tried this one. The idea is nice, but the problem is that the second step of the exporter wizard is too tall and goes out of my screen. We would need another layout.

>>> Very cool. This needs to go in Moose-Finder. The only thing to fix here is the label in the first wizard step when we have to choose type of exported file.

>>> This is cool. I already copied it to the Moose repo. It's that easy :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Beauty is where we see it."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

12