Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

extending STON

henry
Hello, I am trying to extend STON to allow for substitutions as data is written out or read in. On the write side I got it working as #nextPut: is recursively called, so that is the perfect place to substitute before an object is written. I have tested and my changes work well, where I have an arbitrary object as a subObject and it gets substituted out for my Descriptor object.

I am having difficult on the read side identifying where a substitution lookup should occur after decoding the object on the input stream. I want to inflate the Descritpor object, with its data, and call for a possible substitution. As it is a Descriptor, it should get substituted with the right bits on the read side. I chose to try and do this in the method #setReference:to: and put the substitute into the objects list. This did not work. Where is a good place to look within STON to do a read-side post-substitution?

Thank you.

- HH

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: extending STON

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Henry,

> On 14 Nov 2017, at 15:02, henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello, I am trying to extend STON to allow for substitutions as data is written out or read in. On the write side I got it working as #nextPut: is recursively called, so that is the perfect place to substitute before an object is written. I have tested and my changes work well, where I have an arbitrary object as a subObject and it gets substituted out for my Descriptor object.

OK good.

> I am having difficult on the read side identifying where a substitution lookup should occur after decoding the object on the input stream. I want to inflate the Descritpor object, with its data, and call for a possible substitution. As it is a Descriptor, it should get substituted with the right bits on the read side. I chose to try and do this in the method #setReference:to: and put the substitute into the objects list. This did not work. Where is a good place to look within STON to do a read-side post-substitution?

In

STONReader>>#parseObject
        | targetClass reference object |
        [
                reference := self newReference.
                targetClass := self parseClass.
                object := targetClass fromSton: self.
                self setReference: reference to: object ]

I would try just re-assigning object with your custom substitute. Like this

MySTONReader>>#parseObject
        | targetClass reference object |
        [
                reference := self newReference.
                targetClass := self parseClass.
                object := targetClass fromSton: self.
                object := object resolveSubstitution.
                self setReference: reference to: object ]

The references are used if the same (#==) object is used twice, then you get something like

STON fromString: '[Point[1,2],@2]'.

which is an 2 element Array where the exact same object is in both positions (structure sharing). This works with circular references too (but be careful because the inspector might loop).

HTH,

Sven

> Thank you.
>
> - HH
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: extending STON

henry
Thank you, Sven. That was a much better place for internalizing after reconstituting. I now have bi-directional substitutions working with STON. I’m grateful.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 09:24, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Henry, > On 14 Nov 2017, at 15:02, henry wrote: > > Hello, I am trying to extend STON to allow for substitutions as data is written out or read in. On the write side I got it working as #nextPut: is recursively called, so that is the perfect place to substitute before an object is written. I have tested and my changes work well, where I have an arbitrary object as a subObject and it gets substituted out for my Descriptor object. OK good. > I am having difficult on the read side identifying where a substitution lookup should occur after decoding the object on the input stream. I want to inflate the Descritpor object, with its data, and call for a possible substitution. As it is a Descriptor, it should get substituted with the right bits on the read side. I chose to try and do this in the method #setReference:to: and put the substitute into the objects list. This did not work. Where is a good place to look within STON to do a read-side post-substitution? In STONReader>>#parseObject | targetClass reference object | [ reference := self newReference. targetClass := self parseClass. object := targetClass fromSton: self. self setReference: reference to: object ] ... I would try just re-assigning object with your custom substitute. Like this MySTONReader>>#parseObject | targetClass reference object | [ reference := self newReference. targetClass := self parseClass. object := targetClass fromSton: self. object := object resolveSubstitution. self setReference: reference to: object ] ... The references are used if the same (#==) object is used twice, then you get something like STON fromString: '[Point[1,2],@2]'. which is an 2 element Array where the exact same object is in both positions (structure sharing). This works with circular references too (but be careful because the inspector might loop). HTH, Sven > Thank you. > > - HH > >