famix generator for .NET assemblies

Thomas Haug
Hi everybody,

I have implemented a Famix-Generator which analyses .NET assemblies and produces mse files for CodeCity as well as the MOOSE platform.

If you want to give it a try, you can download it from my site (german, I am sorry - I will change that in near future):
http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator

The generator creates famix artifacts for namespaces, types (classes, interfaces, enums und structs), methods, methods calls and local variables. the tool is not complete (missing features, bugs?), I will enhance it during the next weeks or months.. ;-)

(BTW you need a .NET 4.0 installed on your machine. It does not run on the Mono plattform, right now.)

Cheers
Thomas

Re: famix generator for .NET assemblies

Stéphane Ducasse
<base href="x-msg://964/">thanks thomas

Should I conclude that you are using Moose to run our business?
This is a great news.

Stef

On Jul 1, 2013, at 5:36 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have implemented a Famix-Generator which analyses .NET assemblies and produces mse files for CodeCity as well as the MOOSE platform.

If you want to give it a try, you can download it from my site (german, I am sorry - I will change that in near future):
http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator

The generator creates famix artifacts for namespaces, types (classes, interfaces, enums und structs), methods, methods calls and local variables. the tool is not complete (missing features, bugs?), I will enhance it during the next weeks or months.. ;-)

(BTW you need a .NET 4.0 installed on your machine. It does not run on the Mono plattform, right now.)

Cheers
Thomas

Re: famix generator for .NET assemblies

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Thomas,

This is great news! Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:
- What is the license of the code and of the tool?
- How detailed is the model? I looked briefly at the MSE samples from the site and saw that your model include even Access and Invocation. This is exciting. How much do you trust the accuracy of the information?
- I also saw that you export properties like design problems and metrics (see a snippet below):
(GodClass true)
(DataClass true)
(BrainClass true)
(RefusedParentBequest true)
(TraditionBreaker true)
(WLOC 0.0)
(WNOS 11.0)
How do you compute the design problems? Is it based on the Object-oriented metrics in practice book?
- I did not have a chance to run the tool yet, but how scalable and fast is it?
- Do you plan to invest more time into it?

Do you need help? If you provide a case study perhaps we can work through it.

In any case, great work.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have implemented a Famix-Generator which analyses .NET assemblies and produces mse files for CodeCity as well as the MOOSE platform.

If you want to give it a try, you can download it from my site (german, I am sorry - I will change that in near future):
http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator

The generator creates famix artifacts for namespaces, types (classes, interfaces, enums und structs), methods, methods calls and local variables. the tool is not complete (missing features, bugs?), I will enhance it during the next weeks or months.. ;-)

(BTW you need a .NET 4.0 installed on your machine. It does not run on the Mono plattform, right now.)

Cheers
Thomas

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: famix generator for .NET assemblies

Thomas Haug
Hi Stef,

I am working as Java and C# developer/architect and consultant.
I tried to understand Smalltalk, but to be honest it's quite hard for me as Java/C# guy :-)

Software metrics and analysis are some sort of hobby of myself (as you might have been guessed from my web site), but I also use it sometimes to explain to colleagues if I see "trouble" ahead ;-)
Therefore I am using different views like the system complexity view (e.g. in MOOSE) and "rarely" the class blue print. Additionally I facilitate the city metaphor to express software design. I have written an article on that topic in the german dotnetpro magazine in februar this year, using CodeCity and my famixgenerator.

cheers
Thomas

[...]

Hi Doru,

license: since it is still in an very early stage, I have not decided yet... but I guess the generator tool will be freely.
tust: good question,  It should be quite accurate, but I have to write more tests on that... ;-)
design disharmonies (based on Lanza/Marinescu book): currently I can only "calculate" Data Classes, the other disharmonies are not really calculated so far.
scalability/performance: since I parse compiled code it is currently fast enough (at least for my purposes). I'm planning to prototype the integration of other parser but this has low prio.

I will definitely work on this project: You might have seen my video that I am currently implementing my personal "interpretation" of CodeCity as an native .NET application ( see here, the video is in Denglish, a.k.a. German (Deutsch) english). This tool is not published so far, because it need much more work on it.
But in order to "give something back" to the MOOSE and CodeCity community I am still planning to enhance the famix generator.

Good night
Thomas

[...]

<base href="x-msg://4036/">
On Jul 1, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stef,

I am working as Java and C# developer/architect and consultant.
I tried to understand Smalltalk, but to be honest it's quite hard for me as Java/C# guy :-)
:)
You know normally we do not teach smalltalk and the students (the good ones) get two weeks to get started and they do. So I'm convinced that if you
would do it for real it would take you 2-3 weeks max.

Software metrics and analysis are some sort of hobby of myself (as you might have been guessed from my web site), but I also use it sometimes to explain to colleagues if I see "trouble" ahead ;-)
Therefore I am using different views like the system complexity view (e.g. in MOOSE) and "rarely" the class blue print. Additionally I facilitate the city metaphor to express software design. I have written an article on that topic in the german dotnetpro magazine in februar this year, using CodeCity and my famixgenerator.

Thanks!

[...]

<base href="x-msg://4040/">
On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks we appreciate it. If you think about a BSD license this wil excellent because we will be able to contribute.

Good night
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

This is great news! Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:
- What is the license of the code and of the tool?
- How detailed is the model? I looked briefly at the MSE samples from the site and saw that your model include even Access and Invocation. This is exciting. How much do you trust the accuracy of the information?
- I also saw that you export properties like design problems and metrics (see a snippet below):
(GodClass true)
(DataClass true)
(BrainClass true)
(RefusedParentBequest true)
(TraditionBreaker true)
(WLOC 0.0)
(WNOS 11.0)
How do you compute the design problems? Is it based on the Object-oriented metrics in practice book?
- I did not have a chance to run the tool yet, but how scalable and fast is it?
- Do you plan to invest more time into it?

Do you need help? If you provide a case study perhaps we can work through it.

In any case, great work.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have implemented a Famix-Generator which analyses .NET assemblies and produces mse files for CodeCity as well as the MOOSE platform.

If you want to give it a try, you can download it from my site (german, I am sorry - I will change that in near future):
http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator

The generator creates famix artifacts for namespaces, types (classes, interfaces, enums und structs), methods, methods calls and local variables. the tool is not complete (missing features, bugs?), I will enhance it during the next weeks or months.. ;-)

(BTW you need a .NET 4.0 installed on your machine. It does not run on the Mono plattform, right now.)

Cheers
Thomas

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: famix generator for .NET assemblies

Tudor Girba-2

On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> license: since it is still in an very early stage, I have not decided yet... but I guess the generator tool will be freely.

As soon as you define the license, we announce it officially on the main website :).

> tust: good question,  It should be quite accurate, but I have to write more tests on that... ;-)
> design disharmonies (based on Lanza/Marinescu book): currently I can only "calculate" Data Classes, the other disharmonies are not really calculated so far.

Interesting.

> scalability/performance: since I parse compiled code it is currently fast enough (at least for my purposes). I'm planning to prototype the integration of other parser but this has low prio.

This indeed, does not sound like a priority.

> I will definitely work on this project: You might have seen my video that I am currently implementing my personal "interpretation" of CodeCity as an native .NET application ( seehere, the video is in Denglish, a.k.a. German (Deutsch) english). This tool is not published so far, because it need much more work on it.
> But in order to "give something back" to the MOOSE and CodeCity community I am still planning to enhance the famix generator.

Thank you! You are filling an important hole in the Moose eco system. Please keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Doru

> Good night
> Thomas
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> This is great news! Thanks for sharing.
>
> A couple of questions:
> - What is the license of the code and of the tool?
> - How detailed is the model? I looked briefly at the MSE samples from the site and saw that your model include even Access and Invocation. This is exciting. How much do you trust the accuracy of the information?
> - I also saw that you export properties like design problems and metrics (see a snippet below):
> (GodClass true)
> (DataClass true)
> (BrainClass true)
> (RefusedParentBequest true)
> (TraditionBreaker true)
> (WLOC 0.0)
> (WNOS 11.0)
> How do you compute the design problems? Is it based on the Object-oriented metrics in practice book?
> - I did not have a chance to run the tool yet, but how scalable and fast is it?
> - Do you plan to invest more time into it?
>
> Do you need help? If you provide a case study perhaps we can work through it.
>
> In any case, great work.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have implemented a Famix-Generator which analyses .NET assemblies and produces mse files for CodeCity as well as the MOOSE platform.
>
> If you want to give it a try, you can download it from my site (german, I am sorry - I will change that in near future):
> http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator
>
> The generator creates famix artifacts for namespaces, types (classes, interfaces, enums und structs), methods, methods calls and local variables. the tool is not complete (missing features, bugs?), I will enhance it during the next weeks or months.. ;-)
>
> (BTW you need a .NET 4.0 installed on your machine. It does not run on the Mono plattform, right now.)
>
> Cheers
> Thomas

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

www.tudorgirba.com

"We are all great at making mistakes."

new version of FamixGenerator for .NET assemblies

Thomas Haug
Hi everybody,

yesterday I have placed a new version of the FamixGenerator on my (german) webpage: it does now create Famix 2.1 and 3.0 models from multiple .NET assemblies, but I have still a few miles to go...

So if you want to give it a try:
http://www.sharpmetrics.net/index.php/famix-generator

I have not yet written an explicit license file... so the FamixGenerator can be used "as is" for all sorts of projects (non-commercial and commercial).

In a couple of days a new article based on this tool, CodeCity and the underlying Moose version will be published in the german dotnetpro magazine. Hope this helps as kind of advertisement for Moose, CodeCity and Sourcecity (and my personal interpretation SharpCity, which I have not yet released so far ;-) ).

Take care,
Thomas

Re: new version of FamixGenerator for .NET assemblies

Tudor Girba-2
Wow! This is great.

About the license: if you do not put any license, it means nobody can officially do anything with it.

If you do not want to open the sources, but want to offer a simple "as-is" license for the binary, perhaps you can use a historical easy to grasp notice like in: http://opensource.org/licenses/HPND
Or you could simply use a CreativeCommons-Attribution: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

And thanks for promoting Moose, too! When the article appears, please do let us know so that we can advertise it more.

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Thomas Haug <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard Wettel-3
Very cool, Thomas! I'm looking forward to reading your article.

Cheers
Ricky

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

yetibrain
Hi all,

a while ago i have uploaded tarantula to Richard Wettel's website (CodeCity). The tool can create MSE files from a .NET assembly (C#). I have used the lib Mono.Cecil.dll in order to do the job. If PDB files are provided as well, LOC information is available too. However one thing i am missing. Every single class has its own namespace, although i have tried to use DLLs that have several names concatenated by a dot in order to form an entire namespace, but there is no hierarchy. I don't understand how i can create a namespace hierarchy with the MSE model. Can anyone give me a hint? I appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks in advance.

yb