[feature request] D6 step into block...

Pavel-2
It will be very convenient if Dolphin has that feature (subj).
Now very annoying when I debuging program and step through all
implementation of methods ( collection iteration, exception handlers,
etc... ).
Just I try concentrate on my algoritm logic, but I always must step through
mass of unwanted code and control all calls.

For example :
    somecollection do: [:i |  mycode ].  " current debuging statement "
It would by NICE (ohhh dream) if I can press <step into block> and skip
steps through all implementations of method do:  , and next step will be -
"mycode", and next step  - again "mycode" ! ( if somecollection size>1 )
When debuging program or more over learn how system works such feature can
be VERY HELPFUL !

Best regards
Pavel

PS. Sorry for my English

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Pavel:

Pavel escribió:
> It will be very convenient if Dolphin has that feature (subj).
> Now very annoying when I debuging program and step through all
> implementation of methods ( collection iteration, exception handlers,
> etc... ).
> Just I try concentrate on my algoritm logic, but I always must step through
> mass of unwanted code and control all calls.

To me it isn't convenient, it is mandatory.

This is available in the Tools+ package for Dolphin XP, the debugger
hasn't changed too much (apparently), so it should be very harder to
adapt it.

<http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/>

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

Pavel-2
> This is available in the Tools+ package for Dolphin XP, the debugger
> hasn't changed too much (apparently), so it should be very harder to
> adapt it.
>
> <http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/>

Unfortunately, there is no version for D6. So the problem on former is
actual for D6.

Best regards
Pavel

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

Andreas Wacknitz
"Pavel" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:-[hidden email]...
>> This is available in the Tools+ package for Dolphin XP, the debugger
>> hasn't changed too much (apparently), so it should be very harder to
>> adapt it.
>>
>> <http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/>
>>

> Unfortunately, there is no version for D6. So the problem on former is
> actual for D6.
Last time I talked to John Aspinall he told me that he does not plan to
convert
Tools+ to D6 but instead will harvest what is not yet in D6 and open source
it.
Maybe you should contact him and ask him for what he has so far.
Back in early August I asked him for his Tools+ plans as I was interested in
the
method spies. Since then I have method spies for D6 and I am quite happy
with them ;-)

Best regards
Andreas

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

Pavel-2
> > Just I try concentrate on my algoritm logic, but I always must step
through
> > mass of unwanted code and control all calls.
>
> To me it isn't convenient, it is mandatory.

And this is optionally, if press <step into> - next statement wiil be into.
If press <go throu block> - next statement will be my code in block on
current level.

Convenience of using IDE consists from many similar features. For example:
normal breakpoints. without modify code with inserting "self halt". Main
problem with it - package marks as "durty", and then to become difficultly
to define, changes because of my changes of a code or simply debugging.

Pls, all aforesaid to perceive as constructive offers from new user D6 CE,
directed on even greater improvement of quality the D6.

Best regards
Pavel

PS. sorry for my English

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

JohnA
"Andreas Wacknitz" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Last time I talked to John Aspinall he told me that he does not plan to
> convert
> Tools+ to D6 but instead will harvest what is not yet in D6 and open source
> it.

That is correct! Unfortunately, my time is at quite a premium at the moment...

> Maybe you should contact him and ask him for what he has so far.

...however I'll try to get the package uploaded with a bit of an explanation of
how to use it. Ideally I want to get rid of the dependency on the old
ssw_tools.dll first as that was a bit of a stumbling block with installing
Tools+, and is a bit of overkill just for one package.

> Back in early August I asked him for his Tools+ plans as I was interested in
> the
> method spies. Since then I have method spies for D6 and I am quite happy
> with them ;-)

Excellent - I'm pleased to hear it!

And Esteban -

> This is available in the Tools+ package for Dolphin XP, the debugger
> hasn't changed too much (apparently), so it should be very harder to
> adapt it.

Well, blocks have changed a bit, so it was a little tricky... ;o)

John Aspinall
Solutions Software

Re: [feature request] D6 step into block...

Andreas Wacknitz
"Pavel" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[hidden email]...

>> > Just I try concentrate on my algoritm logic, but I always must step
> through
>> > mass of unwanted code and control all calls.
>>
>> To me it isn't convenient, it is mandatory.
>>
> And this is optionally, if press <step into> - next statement wiil be
> into.
> If press <go throu block> - next statement will be my code in block on
> current level.
>
> Convenience of using IDE consists from many similar features. For example:
> normal breakpoints. without modify code with inserting "self halt". Main
> problem with it - package marks as "durty", and then to become difficultly
> to define, changes because of my changes of a code or simply debugging.
I had the same problem - method spies are the solution for your problem!
Have a look at http://www.solutionsoft.co.uk/toolsplus/method_spies1.htm

And, by the way, ReStore is also a very convenient solution when you need
persistence ;-)

Regards
Andreas