[feature request] D6 - walkback pre-dialog doesn't dynamically resize

[feature request] D6 - walkback pre-dialog doesn't dynamically resize

Tim M
Small thing, but when you get a walkback - and you get that little pre-dialog
with the basic stack info - why doens't it let you resize it and have the
static text box inside it resize (so that you can look at what the statck
trace that is being clipped horizontally is?  Its only width sizing that
I'm particularly concerned about. At the moment, when you reize, the static
text box just stays the same size and the window around it goes wider.

Tim

Re: [feature request] D6 - walkback pre-dialog doesn't dynamically resize

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Tim,

> Small thing, but when you get a walkback - and you get that little
> pre-dialog with the basic stack info - why doens't it let you resize it
> and have the static text box inside it resize (so that you can look at
> what the statck trace that is being clipped horizontally is?  Its only
> width sizing that I'm particularly concerned about. At the moment, when
> you reize, the static text box just stays the same size and the window
> around it goes wider.

It's OA's call, but my gut tells me it is better to copy the text to
another window and view it there rather than complicate the walkback.
IMHO, the walkback should be as simple as possible to reduce the risk of
recursive errors.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: [feature request] D6 - walkback pre-dialog doesn't dynamically resize

Tim M
Hello Bill,

> It's OA's call, but my gut tells me it is better to copy the text to
> another window and view it there rather than complicate the walkback.
> IMHO, the walkback should be as simple as possible to reduce the risk
> of recursive errors.

Yeah maybe your right - altough surely its just a window with a static text
field in it - making it resable can't hurt that much (famous last words ;-)

Tim M wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
>> It's OA's call, but my gut tells me it is better to copy the text to
>> another window and view it there rather than complicate the walkback.
>> IMHO, the walkback should be as simple as possible to reduce the risk
>> of recursive errors.
>

> Yeah maybe your right - altough surely its just a window with a static
> text field in it - making it resable can't hurt that much (famous last
> words ;-)

Is it that easy??  My recollection is that one needs to trap WM_SIZE or
WM_POSITIONCHANGED or WM_WHATEVERTHEHELLTHEYCALLITNOW and then explictly
change the size in a handler for same.  Of course, the fact that I am
not sure speaks volumes about Smalltalk's helpfullness.

FWIW, I frequently share your desire to be able to resize to read more
of the text; I just think it's better left alone.  As the saying goes,
be careful what you ask for; you might get it :0

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.