feedback on HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo: and HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo:ignoring: are ugly and misleading

feedback on HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo: and HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo:ignoring: are ugly and misleading

Stéphane Ducasse
I would really like to get some feddback on that issue

Issue 1152: HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo: and
HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo:ignoring: are ugly and misleading

Re: feedback on HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo: and HTTPSocket>>#getResponseUpTo:ignoring: are ugly and misleading

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Let's see, we have a method that includes writes to the transcript along side of obfuscated (in the name of speed) access to instance variables of a stream that is used as little more than a glorified value holder for an integer position.

FWIW, I don't think that an HTTP client should inherit from socket; there is a lot of errant use of inheritance in Squeak.  We have bigger battles to fight, but over time, these things should be refactored.

Today I discovered that SocketStream defaults to using timeouts and suppressing errors.  Hopefully I have corrected those two problems for my code.

I trust your judgement.  Is any of the above helpful?

Bill