file dialog

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

I need to load a file from the disk.

I am invoking:
UIManager default
        chooseFileMatching: '*.mse'
        label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.

The problem is that I do not see any files, even though I have files
with .mse ending in the directory. Also, even if I pass '*.*' I still
cannot see the files (only the directories).

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: file dialog

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I need to load a file from the disk.

I am invoking:
UIManager default
       chooseFileMatching: '*.mse'
       label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.

The problem is that I do not see any files, even though I have files
with .mse ending in the directory. Also, even if I pass '*.*' I still
cannot see the files (only the directories).

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I could reproduce it and debugging I noticed that

FileDialogWindow>>validExtensions: aList
    "Set the filter for the files to be those with the given extensions."

    aList notEmpty
        ifTrue: [self defaultExtension: aList first].
    self fileSelectionBlock: [:de |
        de isDirectory
            ifTrue: [self showDirectoriesInFileList]
            ifFalse: [(self fileNamePattern match: de name) and: [
                        aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase)]]]

I think there can be a problem with this method. Here, aList will be '*.*' and as you can imagine that string doesn't includes any of the extensions. Perhaps we can change that include for a match: or something like that. To see this, remove the line
  aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase

and you will see that now all the files are shown.

we should open a ticket but I don't know if this should be 1.0 tag

best,

Mariano

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: file dialog

Stéphane Ducasse
if you have a fix tag it 1.0 ;)

Stef

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to load a file from the disk.
>
> I am invoking:
> UIManager default
>        chooseFileMatching: '*.mse'
>        label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.
>
> The problem is that I do not see any files, even though I have files
> with .mse ending in the directory. Also, even if I pass '*.*' I still
> cannot see the files (only the directories).
>
> Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> I could reproduce it and debugging I noticed that
>
> FileDialogWindow>>validExtensions: aList
>     "Set the filter for the files to be those with the given
> extensions."
>
>     aList notEmpty
>         ifTrue: [self defaultExtension: aList first].
>     self fileSelectionBlock: [:de |
>         de isDirectory
>             ifTrue: [self showDirectoriesInFileList]
>             ifFalse: [(self fileNamePattern match: de name) and: [
>                         aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor:
> de name asLowercase)]]]
>

> I think there can be a problem with this method. Here, aList will be
> '*.*' and as you can imagine that string doesn't includes any of the
> extensions. Perhaps we can change that include for a match: or
> something like that. To see this, remove the line
>   aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase
>
> and you will see that now all the files are shown.
>
> we should open a ticket but I don't know if this should be 1.0 tag
>
> best,
>
> Mariano
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
> her."

Re: file dialog

Tudor Girba-3
Thanks Mariano,

The following code works:

UIManager default
                chooseFileMatching: #('mse')
                label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.

The problem is indeed that you have to pass a valid set of extensions,
so * is not allowed. Anyway, it works for the moment but perhaps it
should be changed to:

FileDialogWindow>>validExtensions: aList
    "Set the filter for the files to be those with the given
extensions."

    aList notEmpty
        ifTrue: [self defaultExtension: aList first].
    self fileSelectionBlock: [:de |
        de isDirectory
            ifTrue: [self showDirectoriesInFileList]
            ifFalse: [(self fileNamePattern match: de name) and: [
                        aList contains: [:each | each match:
(FileDirectory extensionFor:
de name asLowercase) ] ]]]

On the other hand the fileNamePattern seems to already have the job of
filtering, so I do not really understand why we need aList.

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Aug 2009, at 09:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> if you have a fix tag it 1.0 ;)
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to load a file from the disk.
>>
>> I am invoking:
>> UIManager default
>>       chooseFileMatching: '*.mse'
>>       label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.
>>
>> The problem is that I do not see any files, even though I have files
>> with .mse ending in the directory. Also, even if I pass '*.*' I still
>> cannot see the files (only the directories).
>>
>> Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> I could reproduce it and debugging I noticed that
>>
>> FileDialogWindow>>validExtensions: aList
>>    "Set the filter for the files to be those with the given
>> extensions."
>>
>>    aList notEmpty
>>        ifTrue: [self defaultExtension: aList first].
>>    self fileSelectionBlock: [:de |
>>        de isDirectory
>>            ifTrue: [self showDirectoriesInFileList]
>>            ifFalse: [(self fileNamePattern match: de name) and: [
>>                        aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor:
>> de name asLowercase)]]]
>>

>> I think there can be a problem with this method. Here, aList will be
>> '*.*' and as you can imagine that string doesn't includes any of the
>> extensions. Perhaps we can change that include for a match: or
>> something like that. To see this, remove the line
>>  aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase
>>
>> and you will see that now all the files are shown.
>>
>> we should open a ticket but I don't know if this should be 1.0 tag
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
>> her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: file dialog

Tudor Girba-3
Hi again,

On the same topic, what is the invocation to open a dialogue that
allows for saving files?

Cheers,
Doru

On 5 Aug 2009, at 10:26, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> I think there can be a problem with this method. Here, aList will be
>>> '*.*' and as you can imagine that string doesn't includes any of the
>>> extensions. Perhaps we can change that include for a match: or
>>> something like that. To see this, remove the line
>>> aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase
>>>
>>> and you will see that now all the files are shown.
>>>
>>> we should open a ticket but I don't know if this should be 1.0 tag
>>>
>>> best,
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
>>> her."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: file dialog

Gary Chambers-4
The ui manager method is designed to be compatible with the pre-existing
MorphicToollBuilder usage...

You should write as such:

 UIManager default
 chooseFileMatching: #('mse')
 label: 'Import model from MSE file.'.

It is unfortunate that the method name is somewhat misleading.

Regards, Gary

> The problem is that I do not see any files, even though I have files
> with .mse ending in the directory. Also, even if I pass '*.*' I still
> cannot see the files (only the directories).
>
> Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: file dialog

Gary Chambers-4
The fileNamePattern is the dynamic user filter (the text area under the
tree).
The extentsions list is designed to limit the file types under program
control.

Regards, Gary

> [...]

>> I think there can be a problem with this method. Here, aList will be
>> '*.*' and as you can imagine that string doesn't includes any of the
>> extensions. Perhaps we can change that include for a match: or
>> something like that. To see this, remove the line
>>  aList includes: (FileDirectory extensionFor: de name asLowercase
>>
>> and you will see that now all the files are shown.
>>
>> we should open a ticket but I don't know if this should be 1.0 tag
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
>> her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font choosers etc.

For the moment your best bet is:

UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'

which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.

Regards, Gary

On 7 Aug 2009, at 11:25, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: file dialog

Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

I'll add some then :-)
Printing, unfortunately, is another common feature that is not really
supported.

Regards, Gary

Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Some time ago, you mentioned having made some progress on printing.  Is that something you can make available?

Bill

Printing, unfortunately, is another common feature that is not really supported.

Regards, Gary

Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

johnmci
In Sophie we built out the native file dialog handlers for Windows and
macintosh.
Someone might want to harvest them?

People *like* working with the native platform file choosers/pickers.

Extensive use of FFI tho, but a fall back to squeak like file dialogs
if we found
the platform didn't support the native ones.

--
=
=

Re: file dialog

Stéphane Ducasse
with the fallback solution you mentioned it would be great.

Stef
On Aug 8, 2009, at 3:19 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> In Sophie we built out the native file dialog handlers for Windows and
> macintosh.
> Someone might want to harvest them?
>
> People *like* working with the native platform file choosers/pickers.
>
> Extensive use of FFI tho, but a fall back to squeak like file dialogs
> if we found
> the platform didn't support the native ones.
>

> On 7-Aug-09, at 7:18 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
>>> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
>>> choosers etc.
>>>
>>> For the moment your best bet is:
>>>
>>> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>>>
>>> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
>>> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>>>
>>> Regards, Gary
>
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: file dialog

Gary Chambers-4
Nothing generic, just enough for us to get Postscript/PDF out to file for
printing via lpr in Linux.

Regards, Gary

Some time ago, you mentioned having made some progress on printing.  Is that
something you can make available?

Bill

Printing, unfortunately, is another common feature that is not really
supported.

Regards, Gary

Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

Were you able to pipe the data to lpr, or did you find it necessary to write a file?  The latter is not a disaster, but it's always nice to skip that step if possible.

Bill

Nothing generic, just enough for us to get Postscript/PDF out to file for printing via lpr in Linux.

Regards, Gary

Some time ago, you mentioned having made some progress on printing.  Is that
something you can make available?

Bill

Printing, unfortunately, is another common feature that is not really
supported.

Regards, Gary

Yes and we would integrate fast any steps in that direction.

Stef

On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current protocol of UIManager is rather limited.
> Would be good to flesh out properly with colour choosers, font
> choosers etc.
>
> For the moment your best bet is:
>
> UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here'
>
> which returns a new empty file stream or nil if cancelled.
> There are other variants, see TEasilyThemed for others.
>
> Regards, Gary

File write at present, not ideal...
Allows checking for when the file is spooled amongst other things.

Regards, Gary