'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents should work?

'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents should work?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi...I was running a pharo headless in Mac OS running something like this:

./Pharo/VM/Squeak\ 4.2.5beta1U.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak\ VM\ Opt -headless Pharo/imagenes/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1.image spaceTally.st

And I come to the problem that there is an error while trying to process spaceTally.st. This file is a text file that just contains "SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis"

Now....to conclude, the problem is that according to the wonderful and nice CodeLoader (I really hate this class...I promise I will do something with it) this:

'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents

should answer me the contents ("SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis") ...but instead nil is returned.

The file exist.

Is this wrong? is it expected?  how can I fix it ?

Thanks!!

Mariano

Re: [SPAM] 'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents should work?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Mariano,

Try an absolute path, I have had similar problems.
BTW, starting a VM as user X accessing a startup file belonging to user Y doesn't seem to work either (even if Unix permissions would allow it).

Sven

On 24 Aug 2010, at 12:01, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi...I was running a pharo headless in Mac OS running something like this:
>
> ./Pharo/VM/Squeak\ 4.2.5beta1U.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak\ VM\ Opt -headless Pharo/imagenes/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1.image spaceTally.st
>

> And I come to the problem that there is an error while trying to process spaceTally.st. This file is a text file that just contains "SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis"
>
> Now....to conclude, the problem is that according to the wonderful and nice CodeLoader (I really hate this class...I promise I will do something with it) this:
>
> 'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents
>
> should answer me the contents ("SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis") ...but instead nil is returned.
>
> The file exist.
>
> Is this wrong? is it expected?  how can I fix it ?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Mariano

Re: [SPAM] 'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents should work?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Sven, that was the probem.  We should fix this :(

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

Try an absolute path, I have had similar problems.
BTW, starting a VM as user X accessing a startup file belonging to user Y doesn't seem to work either (even if Unix permissions would allow it).

Sven

On 24 Aug 2010, at 12:01, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi...I was running a pharo headless in Mac OS running something like this:
>
> ./Pharo/VM/Squeak\ 4.2.5beta1U.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak\ VM\ Opt -headless Pharo/imagenes/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1/Pharo-1.1-11411dev10.07.1.image spaceTally.st
>

> And I come to the problem that there is an error while trying to process spaceTally.st. This file is a text file that just contains "SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis"
>
> Now....to conclude, the problem is that according to the wonderful and nice CodeLoader (I really hate this class...I promise I will do something with it) this:
>
> 'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents
>
> should answer me the contents ("SpaceTally new printSpaceAnalysis") ...but instead nil is returned.
>
> The file exist.
>
> Is this wrong? is it expected?  how can I fix it ?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Mariano

Re: [SPAM] 'file:spaceTally.st' asUrl retrieveContents should work?

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

BTW, starting a VM as user X accessing a startup file belonging to user Y doesn't seem to work either (even if Unix permissions would allow it).

I can't reproduce this (in 1.2), as long as user X has read permission to the file.
Could you elaborate a bit further?

Cheers,
Henry

On 21 Sep 2010, at 16:21, Henrik Johansen wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mariano,
>>
>> BTW, starting a VM as user X accessing a startup file belonging to user Y doesn't seem to work either (even if Unix permissions would allow it).
>>

> I can't reproduce this (in 1.2), as long as user X has read permission to the file.
> Could you elaborate a bit further?

I had a script running under daemontools that looked as follows:

#!/bin/bash

VM=/home/sven/bin/squeak
VM_PARAMS="-mmap 32m -vm-display-none -vm-sound-none"
IMAGE=/home/sven/smalltalk/seaside-sven-1/deploy-seaside-sven-clustered.image
USER=sven
ARGS=/home/sven/smalltalk/seaside-sven-1/node1.st

exec setuidgid $USER $VM $VM_PARAMS $IMAGE $ARGS

Initially the USER was set to www-data and then it could not read files created by sven at at startup even when they were publically readable. So maybe it has something to do with the exec setuidgid mechanism in combination with the vm (or the vm startup script) ?

Sven