finding messages after package install

ferriswheel
Hi,

some packages open a workspace showing the contents of a 'readme' file
during or the end of an package install to explain the package
operations/use.

how does one find/access these files at a latter time.

regards

john

Re: finding messages after package install

Damien Cassou-3
ferriswheel wrote:
> some packages open a workspace showing the contents of a 'readme' file
> during or the end of an package install to explain the package
> operations/use.
>
> how does one find/access these files at a latter time.

Try to find the main classe(s) of the package and have a look at the
class site of this classes. You may find a method containing the readme
as a string.

Re: finding messages after package install

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:39:10PM +1000, ferriswheel wrote:

> some packages open a workspace showing the contents of a 'readme' file
> during or the end of an package install to explain the package
> operations/use.
>
> how does one find/access these files at a latter time.

Usually these are packages that are stored in SAR files ("Squeak Archive")
and that you download from SqueakMap. A SAR file is a zip format file
that contains the actual package that you are loading, along with
(usually) a readme.txt file and a changes.txt file. This are the
files that were opened when you installed the package from SqueakMap.

If you want to see the readme.txt and changes.txt files, you can
find them in the SAR archive. In Squeak, open a file list browser
and look for the package-cache directory in your Squeak home directory.
This directory contains copies of packages that you have downloaded
from Squeak.  Find the one you are interested in, highlight the file,
and click the "open zip" button.

Dave

Re: finding messages after package install

ferriswheel
Hi Damien and David

I followed Damien's suggestion but made no headway. Had a think, found
the package cache and the 'sar' file for the package of interest. Them
remembered the 'file list' tool and did as David has outlined. I guess I
also learnt something about the package install process.

Thanks for your responses.

John