first draft of a pharo zen

Stéphane Ducasse
Since some of you are newcomers to smalltalk or may be did not know the value of pharo core people
here is a first draft I wrote this morning thinking about pharo

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoZen

   * Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
   * Simplicity is beautiful
   * Communication is key
   * Classes structure our vocabulary
   * Messages are our vocabulary
   * Polymorphism is our esperanto
   * Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
   * Tests are important but can be replaced
   * Abstraction and composition are our friends
   * Explicit is better than implicit
   * Magic only at the right place
   * Simple processes to support progress
   * One step at a time
   * There is no unimportant fix
   * Quality is a emerging property
   * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

Stef
Please comment  also on the wiki.

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Igor Stasenko
On 24 August 2010 12:51, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since some of you are newcomers to smalltalk or may be did not know the value of pharo core people
> here is a first draft I wrote this morning thinking about pharo
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoZen
>
>   * Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
>   * Simplicity is beautiful
>   * Communication is key
>   * Classes structure our vocabulary
>   * Messages are our vocabulary
>   * Polymorphism is our esperanto
>   * Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one

This sounds wrong.. IDK, but i think a more correct form is following:

Better a number of small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one

>   * Tests are important but can be replaced
>   * Abstraction and composition are our friends
>   * Explicit is better than implicit
>   * Magic only at the right place
>   * Simple processes to support progress
>   * One step at a time
>   * There is no unimportant fix
>   * Quality is a emerging property
>   * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

Amen :)

> Stef
> Please comment  also on the wiki.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Stéphane Ducasse
Fixed :)

again a violent proof of my english illiteracy. ;D

> On 24 August 2010 12:51, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since some of you are newcomers to smalltalk or may be did not know the value of pharo core people
>> here is a first draft I wrote this morning thinking about pharo
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoZen
>>
>>   * Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
>>   * Simplicity is beautiful
>>   * Communication is key
>>   * Classes structure our vocabulary
>>   * Messages are our vocabulary
>>   * Polymorphism is our esperanto
>>   * Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
>
> This sounds wrong.. IDK, but i think a more correct form is following:
>
> Better a number of small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
>
>>   * Tests are important but can be replaced
>>   * Abstraction and composition are our friends
>>   * Explicit is better than implicit
>>   * Magic only at the right place
>>   * Simple processes to support progress
>>   * One step at a time
>>   * There is no unimportant fix
>>   * Quality is a emerging property
>>   * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand
>>

> Amen :)
>
>> Stef
>> Please comment  also on the wiki.

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Hernan Wilkinson-3
good! you liked the idea :-)

I have a semantic problem with "Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one". I understand that objects are polimorphic, not clases.
I think we should say something about smalltalk meta-circular property and something about that everythings is an object...
For example:

* We don't fear metaprogramming because it brings dinamism to live
* We love objects because objects are everything and everything is an object

or something like that :-)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Mobile: +54 - 11 - 4470 - 7207
email: [hidden email]
site: http://www.10Pines.com

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Marcin Tustin
Technically, functions/methods are polymorphic ;)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mobile: 07773787105
Office: 020 3400 3259

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Marcus Denker-4

>>>  * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

Not a system that more than one person understands?

 ;-)

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

laurent laffont

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>  * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

What about:
* Easy to understand, easy to learn from, easy to fix

Indeed I woud like to spread the idea that little is needed to contribute, don't need to be an expert guru. Community counts.

Laurent.

On Aug 24, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> good! you liked the idea :-)

Of course!
BTW you did not send your photo :)

> I have a semantic problem with "Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one". I understand that objects are polimorphic, not clases.
> I think we should say something about smalltalk meta-circular property and something about that everythings is an object...
> For example:
>
> * We don't fear metaprogramming because it brings dinamism to live
> * We love objects because objects are everything and everything is an object
>
> or something like that :-)

I like the second.

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since some of you are newcomers to smalltalk or may be did not know the value of pharo core people
> here is a first draft I wrote this morning thinking about pharo
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoZen
>
>   * Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
>   * Simplicity is beautiful
>   * Communication is key
>   * Classes structure our vocabulary
>   * Messages are our vocabulary
>   * Polymorphism is our esperanto
>   * Better small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
>   * Tests are important but can be replaced
>   * Abstraction and composition are our friends
>   * Explicit is better than implicit
>   * Magic only at the right place
>   * Simple processes to support progress
>   * One step at a time
>   * There is no unimportant fix
>   * Quality is a emerging property
>   * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand
>
> Stef
> Please comment  also on the wiki.

> Hernán Wilkinson
> Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
> Mobile: +54 - 11 - 4470 - 7207
> email: [hidden email]
> site: http://www.10Pines.com

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

On Aug 24, 2010, at 8:14 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> What about:
> * Easy to understand, easy to learn from, easy to fix

Yes learning is key for me.

> Indeed I woud like to spread the idea that little is needed to contribute, don't need to be an expert guru. Community counts.

Stef

> Laurent.
>

> Not a system that more than one person understands?
>
>  ;-)
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: [SPAM] Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Sven Van Caekenberghe
I like the manifesto as well.

I think what Stéphane means is that you as a developer can understand the whole system.

For me that is one of the main strong points of Smalltalk: an average programmer can go and look everywhere in the system, without leaving Smalltalk, and understand what is going on (provided the code is OK). This is something that is very hard almost everywhere else (even in Common Lisp for example), let alone in C. Most scripting languages cover to little ground (using too many external libraries for example).

Sven

On 24 Aug 2010, at 20:14, laurent laffont wrote:

> What about:
> * Easy to understand, easy to learn from, easy to fix
>
> Indeed I woud like to spread the idea that little is needed to contribute, don't need to be an expert guru. Community counts.
>
> Laurent.
>

> Not a system that more than one person understands?
>
>  ;-)
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

New version

        • Easy to understand, easy to learn from, easy to fix
        • Examples to learn from
        • Fully dynamic and malleable
        • Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
        • Simplicity is beautiful
        • Communication is key
        • Classes structure our vocabulary
        • Messages are our vocabulary
        • Polymorphism is our esperanto
        • Better a number of small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
        • Tests are important but can be changed
        • Abstraction and composition are our friends
        • Explicit is better than implicit
        • Magic only at the right place
        • Simple processes to support progress
        • One step at a time
        • There is no unimportant fix
        • Quality is a emerging property
        • Lovely objects are everything and everything is an object.
        • A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

laurent laffont
Those are duplicates of the first one (easy to understand....), no ?
  * There is no unimportant fix
  * Examples to learn from
  * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

I like
       • Explicit is better than implicit
       • Magic only at the right place
because I feel that's part of the essence of Pharo / Smalltalk, and a real difference compared to C, Perl, Ruby, PHP ....

I'm not sure about Classes, Messages, Tests, Polymorphism, Abstraction items... IMHO these complexify the manifesto.

(I like to put this one in mails:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I was thinking that a slogan for Pharo can be:

Pharo: Beautiful. Easy. Open.

Indeed it's how I resume the manifersto (but I'm doing software development, not marketing, so may be crap :)

Laurent

New version

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Those are duplicates of the first one (easy to understand....), no ?
  * There is no unimportant fix
  * Examples to learn from
  * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

I like
       • Explicit is better than implicit
       • Magic only at the right place
because I feel that's part of the essence of Pharo / Smalltalk, and a real difference compared to C, Perl, Ruby, PHP ....

I'm not sure about Classes, Messages, Tests, Polymorphism, Abstraction items... IMHO these complexify the manifesto.

(I like to put this one in mails:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I was thinking that a slogan for Pharo can be:

Pharo: Beautiful. Easy. Open.

Replying to myself

Beautiful
- in code
- in abstractions
- in simplicity

Easy
- to understand
- to learn from
- to fix

Open
- to participation
- to improvement
- to future

Laurent

[...]

I will let it sleeps for now...
Stef

On Aug 25, 2010, at 10:25 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Those are duplicates of the first one (easy to understand....), no ?
>   * There is no unimportant fix
>   * Examples to learn from
>   * A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand
>
> I like
>        • Explicit is better than implicit
>        • Magic only at the right place
> because I feel that's part of the essence of Pharo / Smalltalk, and a real difference compared to C, Perl, Ruby, PHP ....
>
> I'm not sure about Classes, Messages, Tests, Polymorphism, Abstraction items... IMHO these complexify the manifesto.
>
> (I like to put this one in mails:
> "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
>
> I was thinking that a slogan for Pharo can be:
>
> Pharo: Beautiful. Easy. Open.
>
> Replying to myself
>
> Beautiful
> - in code
> - in abstractions
> - in simplicity
>
> Easy
> - to understand
> - to learn from
> - to fix
>
> Open
> - to participation
> - to improvement
> - to future
>
> Laurent
>

> Indeed it's how I resume the manifersto (but I'm doing software development, not marketing, so may be crap :)
>
> Laurent
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> New version
>
>        • Easy to understand, easy to learn from, easy to fix
>        • Examples to learn from
>        • Fully dynamic and malleable
>        • Beauty in the code, beauty in the comments
>        • Simplicity is beautiful
>        • Communication is key
>        • Classes structure our vocabulary
>        • Messages are our vocabulary
>        • Polymorphism is our esperanto
>        • Better a number of small polymorphic classes than a large ugly one
>        • Tests are important but can be changed
>        • Abstraction and composition are our friends
>        • Explicit is better than implicit
>        • Magic only at the right place
>        • Simple processes to support progress
>        • One step at a time
>        • There is no unimportant fix
>        • Quality is a emerging property
>        • Lovely objects are everything and everything is an object.
>        • A system with robust abstractions that a single person can understand

Re: first draft of a pharo zen

Hernan Wilkinson-3
I think all the phrases should have the same "form"... or they should flow easily... for example:

Simplicity is beautiful
Communication is key

They both have the same "form"... but they don't with:

Examples to learn from
Fully dynamic and malleable

etc.

I think we are mixing (or traiting :-) ) different goals... For example, I would change "Fully dynamic..." with something like "Fully dynamic to learn fast"... so maybe we could have:

Simplicity to achieve beauty
Communication to avoid repetition
Fully dynamic to learn fast

so all share the same "form"... and if we want to change the "form" we should do it slowly, connecting them...anyway, an style comment that I think we should have in mind.

Bye,
Hernan.

PS: I sent the picture :-)

New version