classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

fixing the binary builds

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All,

right now at least the binary mac builds are broken because they use the latest SDK and so are unusable on anything older than 10.11.  Who holds the keys to bintray?  I'd like to try and fix this.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: fixing the binary builds

Ben Coman

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

right now at least the binary mac builds are broken because they use the latest SDK and so are unusable on anything older than 10.11.  Who holds the keys to bintray?  I'd like to try and fix this.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Are we using something like [1]....  " cc   -mmacosx-version-min=10.6   -Wpartial-availability"   
and the CI might be made to fail if it sees any "introduced in macOS" warnings ?? 

This could be useful...
http://www.deploymateapp.com/

A rant that is quite Insightful...

btw, what is the officially support OSX version?

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Are we using something like [1]....  " cc   -mmacosx-version-min=10.6   -Wpartial-availability"   
and the CI might be made to fail if it sees any "introduced in macOS" warnings ?? 

I have no idea.  I don't know how the bintray builds are administered, where the repository is, who setup the bintray builds, etc.  I'm eager to talk with anyone who can enlighten me.

My understanding is that what one does is install a suitable SDK.  If you look in build.macosXXX/common/Makefile.flags you'll see the available SDKs are searched for the minimum available that works for the configuration (10.9 for 32-bit 10.10 for 64-bit).  See the build.macosXXX/HowToBuild files for info on obtaining older SDKs.

IMO that's defined in the above files.  I've tested against the 10.9 and 10.10 SDKs.  I have a 10.9 machine and so try and keep the builds supporting 10.9.  The current binary VMs support only 10.11, and that's not good IMO.  What I want is to upgrade the bintray build to add the SDKs.  I don't know if that's possible; if the version of Xcode is compatible with that approach etc.  But since I can't get access to the bintray setup I have no idea if this is possible.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

I have no idea.  I don't know how the bintray builds are administered, where the repository is, who setup the bintray builds, etc.  I'm eager to talk with anyone who can enlighten me.

My understanding is that what one does is install a suitable SDK.  If you look in build.macosXXX/common/Makefile.flags you'll see the available SDKs are searched for the minimum available that works for the configuration (10.9 for 32-bit 10.10 for 64-bit).  See the build.macosXXX/HowToBuild files for info on obtaining older SDKs.

IMO that's defined in the above files.  I've tested against the 10.9 and 10.10 SDKs.  I have a 10.9 machine and so try and keep the builds supporting 10.9.  The current binary VMs support only 10.11, and that's not good IMO.  What I want is to upgrade the bintray build to add the SDKs.  I don't know if that's possible; if the version of Xcode is compatible with that approach etc.  But since I can't get access to the bintray setup I have no idea if this is possible.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

I was curious which OSX versions might be worthwhile to support. 
The only useful graph I found was...   https://update.omnigroup.com/

and then I see this...

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

timfelgentreff

The Bintray builds are uploaded from travis and appveyor. Changing the yml files in the git repo we can choose the Xcode version.

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 28. Apr. 2017, 05:33:

Hi All,

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

and then I see this...

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

Hi Eliot,
--

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

The Bintray builds are uploaded from travis and appveyor. Changing the yml files in the git repo we can choose the Xcode version.

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 28. Apr. 2017, 05:33:

Hi All,

Tim is correct. Travis holds the keys to bintray. They build the vms and directly upload the artifacts to bintray afterwards.
You might want to have a look at [1] which lists the different Xcode environments supported by Travis.
Please note that only builds of the Cog and the master branch are uploaded to bintray [2], just in case you were going to
play around with this on a dedicated branch. You can, of course, change [2] if you like.

Let us know if you need any further help!

Cheers,
Fabio

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

and then I see this...

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

You might want to have a look at [1] which lists the different Xcode environments supported by Travis.

So it currently builds using Xcode 7.3.1 on OS X 10.11.

The only older option is Xcode 6.4 on OS X 10.10, but at least that one has the macosx10.9 SDK installed, too.

Question is, would a VM built using 6.4 still run on macOS 10.12?

- Bert -
Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

The only older option is Xcode 6.4 on OS X 10.10, but at least that one has the macosx10.9 SDK installed, too.

I'm afraid I can't answer that question.
But if not, we could have separate builds, one with OS X 10.9-10.10 support and one for macOS 10.11-10.12.
That would require some extra work though.

Fabio

- Bert -
Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

But if not, we could have separate builds, one with OS X 10.9-10.10 support and one for macOS 10.11-10.12.

Maybe we should just try to see what happens?

- Bert -
Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seems to be working just fine on macOS Sierra:
image.png

- Bert -
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

Gentlepersons,

thank you!!  The VMs work on 10.10 and 10.9 also.  Let's keep using Xcode 6.4.  The only other thing we need is to name the VM as Squeak.app.  I'll look into this soon.  It should just be a setting in the Makefile (build.macos32x86/squeak.cog.spur/Makefile) as Pharo builds to Pharo.app, PharoDebug.app et al.

BTW, we might want to start building and making available Debug and Assert VMs at least for builds for which the production VM passes the tests.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seems to be working just fine on macOS Sierra:
image.png

- Bert -

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM Tim Felgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Bintray builds are uploaded from travis and appveyor.

Thinking of all these tools, it would be very helpful if someone that actually knows where our stuff is, how to get it, what the services do, and who is most knowledgeable (etc), could add a little bit of explanation and relevant pointers to the Downloads/Development page(s) of squeak.org

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.