forward engineering UML models into Smalltalk code

forward engineering UML models into Smalltalk code

Ben Coman
greetings all,

What tools exist to assist with the forward engineering of UML diagrams into Smalltalk code?
I have been searching for some time but my results are swamped by tools that:
    - reverse engineer Smalltalk code into UML diagrams
    - implement new techniques moving beyond UML and MOF

I am implementing the [electric power system] Common Information Model of IEC 61970 in Smalltalk.  This is defined as a UML Class Diagram (part of which I have attached) maintained using Enterprise Architect, which can export into XMI format.  I hoped there might be a way to load the XMI directly into Smalltalk classes.  Manually implementing the inheritance structure is straight forward, and I've developed a template for the aggregate relationships but an automated function would help to assure correctness, consistency and to track changes in the model.

Re: forward engineering UML models into Smalltalk code

stephane ducasse-2

On Aug 9, 2011, at 9:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> greetings all,
>
> What tools exist to assist with the forward engineering of UML diagrams into Smalltalk code?
> I have been searching for some time but my results are swamped by tools that:
>     - reverse engineer Smalltalk code into UML diagrams
>     - implement new techniques moving beyond UML and MOF
>
> I am implementing the [electric power system] Common Information Model of IEC 61970 in Smalltalk.  This is defined as a UML Class Diagram (part of which I have attached) maintained using Enterprise Architect, which can export into XMI format.  I hoped there might be a way to load the XMI directly into Smalltalk classes.  Manually implementing the inheritance structure is straight forward, and I've developed a template for the aggregate relationships but an automated function would help to assure correctness, consistency and to track changes in the model.
>
> <Mail Attachment.jpeg

Hi btc

In Moose on VW long time ago we implemented everything to load XMI, we had an emof reader that (I'm not sure anymore) was generating FAMIX classes.
May be you should ask on the Moose mailing-list. I could check on our old store but I should find somewhere how to connect to it.

Re: forward engineering UML models into Smalltalk code

hernanmd

2011/8/9 <[hidden email]>
greetings all,

What tools exist to assist with the forward engineering of UML diagrams into Smalltalk code?
I have been searching for some time but my results are swamped by tools that:
    - reverse engineer Smalltalk code into UML diagrams

For example to draw UML of the Url hierarchy you may download the Moose environment (http://www.moosetechnology.org/) and evaluate
| view |

view := MOViewRenderer new.
view shape: UMLClassDiagram new umlShape.

view interaction popupText.
view nodes:  Url withAllSubclasses asArray.

view shape: (MOArrowedOrthoVerticalLineShape new).
view edgesFrom: #superclass.

view layout: MOTreeLayout new.
view open
there are more examples in the Moose Easel window.

--
Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,