friendly 404 pages

Lautaro Fernández
Janko, what would you think if the 404 will look like the attached image?
I'm thinking to codify that, but I really don't know if some one would like it..

Just a thought.
Bye
Lautaro

--
Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

will.png (82K) Download Attachment

Re: friendly 404 pages

Janko Mivšek
Hi Lautaro,

Lautaro Fernández wrote:

> Janko, what would you think if the 404 will look like the attached image?
> I'm thinking to codify that, but I really don't know if some one would
> like it..

Well, a nicer error report is certainly welcomed, just I don't know if
with any picture. Maybe a bit nicer table with some colors and CSS can
suffice? About picture, where to put it? It must be in code, not in
separate file otherwise it will be a nightmare to install.

Also it would be nice to have a "pluggable" error reporting so that
every web app can change the way reports look like. Error report should
therefore me a duty of Resource in which error occurs, or maybe in  Site?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: friendly 404 pages

Lautaro Fernández
Hi Janko,

2008/10/16 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Hi Lautaro,

Lautaro Fernández wrote:

> Janko, what would you think if the 404 will look like the attached image?
> I'm thinking to codify that, but I really don't know if some one would
> like it..

Well, a nicer error report is certainly welcomed, just I don't know if
with any picture. Maybe a bit nicer table with some colors and CSS can
suffice? About picture, where to put it? It must be in code, not in
separate file otherwise it will be a nightmare to install.

Well, I used the "data" URL scheme (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2397) so no need of extra files in your disk. Maybe a nice table will be more standard, but not as nice as it could be with an image (this is my opinion).
See the attach, maybe doing some more tweaks it can be used for all non 200 responses (now, only works with the "404 not found"). The hack was developed in VisualWorks 7.6, but should work under Squeak/YouNameIt too.

Also it would be nice to have a "pluggable" error reporting so that
every web app can change the way reports look like.

This would be nice, indeed.

Error report should therefore me a duty of Resource in which error occurs, or maybe in  Site?

I really don't know. Tomorrow I'll see a bit deeper, now is a bit late here in Argentina to dive into other's person framework ;)

Bye bye,
Lautaro

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

LogoForSwazoo.tar.bz2 (10K) Download Attachment

Re: friendly 404 pages

Lautaro Fernández
After some research, I fully realized that IE 5,6 or even 7 does not support Data URI, so my patch is a bit useless...
Any thoughts?

Lautaro