fun with NBOpenGL

123

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Igor Stasenko
On 25 February 2012 17:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Also, I remember in OpenCroquet Squeak could parse positional arguments of the form ogl glThis(x,y,x); glThat(x,y,z); -- doesn't it make sense to bring this back, since most of the OpenGL code examples on the internet are in this form ?
>
> I guess that you want to know since you ask: the answer is NO!
> It makes no sense to do that.

When it was a time to decide what syntax to use we had a discussion
about it, and Croquet guys said, that they prefer normal keyword based
syntax, despite they
having this syntax extension for positional arguments.
NBOpenGL methods are generated from opengl specs. and its easy to
change the output of generator,
without doing monkey work of rewriting 2000+ methods.
So, if you can't live without it, you can create own bindings with any
other syntax you want by changing the
code generator:

http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenGLSpecs

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

chadwick
ok I get it now, it doesn't make sense, and the generated method names in NBOpenGL are more descriptive than both their C and OpenCroquet equivalents: color3f_red: green: blue: vs glColour3f(?,?,?) & glColor3f: with: with:)  . It would be easy to write code to transcribe C example code into NBOpenGL Smalltalk anyway if anyone really needed to copy-paste example code.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 February 2012 17:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Also, I remember in OpenCroquet Squeak could parse positional arguments of the form ogl glThis(x,y,x); glThat(x,y,z); -- doesn't it make sense to bring this back, since most of the OpenGL code examples on the internet are in this form ?
>
> I guess that you want to know since you ask: the answer is NO!
> It makes no sense to do that.

When it was a time to decide what syntax to use we had a discussion
about it, and Croquet guys said, that they prefer normal keyword based
syntax, despite they
having this syntax extension for positional arguments.
NBOpenGL methods are generated from opengl specs. and its easy to
change the output of generator,
without doing monkey work of rewriting 2000+ methods.
So, if you can't live without it, you can create own bindings with any
other syntax you want by changing the
code generator:

http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenGLSpecs

>> On an unrelated note, I'm confused by this ConfigurationOf/Gofer/Montecello system. How do people new to Pharo find out what these URLs and special configuration loading code are ?
>
> Read the monticello and metacello chapters on pharo by example 2
>
> and look at MetacelloRepository.
>
>> Seems like everyone is just copying and pasting code from forums into workspaces. Couldn't these code fragments for loading configurations be loaded automatically via a URL or something ?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
Ok crappy but working example how apply texture to surface with Native Boost (OpenGL).
Next step conquer the world, Pinky.

On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

Igor coded with me one hour to show me step by step how to produce a rotating pyramid in Pharo :)

Have fun (igor will update the configurationOfNBOpenGL to load the latest file).

<NBOpenGL-Stef.st><Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 10.08.22 PM.pdf>

Regard
Jean Baptiste Arnaud

bricks.png (288K) Download Attachment
NBOpenGL-JB.st (12K) Download Attachment

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
small screenshot maybe ^^

On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Igor coded with me one hour to show me step by step how to produce a rotating pyramid in Pharo :)
>
> Have fun (igor will update the configurationOfNBOpenGL to load the latest file).
>

> <NBOpenGL-Stef.st><Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 10.08.22 PM.pdf>

Regard
Jean Baptiste Arnaud
[hidden email]

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 7.31.10 PM.png (146K) Download Attachment

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Camillo Bruni-3
:D

On 2012-02-29, at 19:30, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:

> Hi,
> Ok crappy but working example how apply texture to surface with Native Boost (OpenGL).
> Next step conquer the world, Pinky.
>

> <bricks.png>
> <NBOpenGL-JB.st>
>
> On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Igor coded with me one hour to show me step by step how to produce a rotating pyramid in Pharo :)
>>
>> Have fun (igor will update the configurationOfNBOpenGL to load the latest file).
>>

>> <NBOpenGL-Stef.st><Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 10.08.22 PM.pdf>
>
> Regard
> Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

:) you seems to have fun after the lantronix XP.

Stef

On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:

> <Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 7.31.10 PM.png>

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
yes,  ^^ ;-p

On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> :) you seems to have fun after the lantronix XP.
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
>
>> <Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 7.31.10 PM.png>

Regard
Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Stéphane Ducasse
so may be connecting to objective-C :)
But the paperS first ;)

Stef

On Feb 29, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:

> yes,  ^^ ;-p
>
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> :) you seems to have fun after the lantronix XP.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
>>
>>> <Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 7.31.10 PM.png>
>>

> Regard
> Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Erwan Douaille
Hi !

I would like to know if it is possible to use texture with vertex3f. I didn't find anything in opengl bible :S

2012/2/29 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
so may be connecting to objective-C :)
But the paperS first ;)

Stef

On Feb 29, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:

> yes,  ^^ ;-p
>
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> :) you seems to have fun after the lantronix XP.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
>>
>>> <Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 7.31.10 PM.png>
>>

> Regard
> Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Igor Stasenko
On 29 February 2012 23:12, Erwan Douaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to use texture with vertex3f. I
> didn't find anything in opengl bible :S

vertex3f is for defining the vertex position and completely orthogonal
to texture(s).

for defining the texture coordinates for given vertex, you use one of:

texCoord[1/2/3][i/f/d]

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glTexCoord.xml

> 2012/2/29 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>
>> so may be connecting to objective-C :)
>> But the paperS first ;)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Jean Baptiste Arnaud wrote:
>>
>> > yes,  ^^ ;-p

>> > Regard
>> > Jean Baptiste Arnaud
>> > [hidden email]
>> >

> --
> Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
It's really fun. I Promise, Steph i work on the paper tomorrow but it 's so fun ^^.

Current step,  MultiTexturing object use key for moving the cube (arrow for turn the cube).

next Step Full Control of Camera (just add translation).
And generate full land of cube.

Textures by Kaeliss ^^ :  http://kaeliss.deviantart.com/

Brain: We must prepare for tomorrow night.
Pinky: Why? What are we going to do tomorrow night?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

On 29 February 2012 23:12, Erwan Douaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi !

I would like to know if it is possible to use texture with vertex3f. I
didn't find anything in opengl bible :S
For texturing look at my code ^^.

[...]

NBOpenGL-JB Next Step.st (17K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 11.21.45 PM.png (557K) Download Attachment

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud

I forget the texture in my previous mail ^^.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 29 February 2012 23:12, Erwan Douaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi !
>>
>> I would like to know if it is possible to use texture with vertex3f. I
>> didn't find anything in opengl bible :S
>>
> vertex3f is for defining the vertex position and completely orthogonal
> to texture(s).
>
> for defining the texture coordinates for given vertex, you use one of:
>
> texCoord[1/2/3][i/f/d]
>
> http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glTexCoord.xml
>

>> 2012/2/29 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> so may be connecting to objective-C :)
>>> But the paperS first ;)
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Regard
Jean Baptiste Arnaud
[hidden email]

bottom.png (441K) Download Attachment
face.png (428K) Download Attachment
top.png (173K) Download Attachment

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Igor Stasenko
woow...

it is always fun to see that something which looks like trash (who can
be impressed by a stupid rotating cube today?)
can be turned into piece of art with a few keystrokes, just by taking
right pictures :)

And that's why it is soo fun to work with graphics.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
I really like do useless thing ;-p.

The control
for the cube
x : increase by one the number of cube on the x axis
y : increase by one the number of cube on the y axis
z : increase by one the number of cube on the z axis
X : decrease by one the number of cube on the x axis
Y : decrease by one the number of cube on the y axis
Z : decrease by one the number of cube on the z axis

left arrow : turn left
right arrow : turn right
up arrow : turn up
down arrow : turn down

Shift left arrow : translate left
Shift right arrow : translate right
Shift up arrow : translate up
Shift down arrow : translate down

space move forward.
ctrl space (because dont take shift space as specific keystroke and array dont take ctrl so i choose that): move backward.

i search during half a hour but dont find a relevant quote from pinky and the brain. sad.
What i really like Igor is, i don't need to close the morph for apply my change to the render method, i mean in addition to not recompile the whole project.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

woow...

it is always fun to see that something which looks like trash (who can
be impressed by a stupid rotating cube today?)
can be turned into piece of art with a few keystrokes, just by taking
right pictures :)

And that's why it is soo fun to work with graphics.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Regards
Jean Baptiste Arnaud

NBOpenGL-JB end i am tired.st (28K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2012-03-01 at 1.26.09 AM.png (705K) Download Attachment

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Guido Stepken
My first rotating cube i programmed in 1982, when i was 16. Today, Professors at Inria learn it to do from scratch. O tempora, o mores!

What advance in informatics!!!

B.t.w: Turbo Pascal 8086 Compiler, Editor was programmed within 3 weeks by Heilsberg, under control of a notary!!!

Today, it takes 3 years with 5 people to get a simple Smalltalk compiler right.

Have fun!

Guido Stepken

[...]

<NBOpenGL-JB end i am tired.st>

On 1 March 2012 03:00, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My first rotating cube i programmed in 1982, when i was 16. Today,
> Professors at Inria learn it to do from scratch. O tempora, o mores!
>
> What advance in informatics!!!
>
> B.t.w: Turbo Pascal 8086 Compiler, Editor was programmed within 3 weeks by
> Heilsberg, under control of a notary!!!
>
> Today, it takes 3 years with 5 people to get a simple Smalltalk compiler
> right.

you make no sense.
But i glad that you like it :)

> Have fun!
>
> Guido Stepken
>
> I really like do useless thing ;-p.
>
> The control
> for the cube
> x : increase by one the number of cube on the x axis
> y : increase by one the number of cube on the y axis
> z : increase by one the number of cube on the z axis
> X : decrease by one the number of cube on the x axis
> Y : decrease by one the number of cube on the y axis
> Z : decrease by one the number of cube on the z axis
>
> left arrow : turn left
> right arrow : turn right
> up arrow : turn up
> down arrow : turn down
>
> Shift left arrow : translate left
> Shift right arrow : translate right
> Shift up arrow : translate up
> Shift down arrow : translate down
>
> space move forward.
> ctrl space (because dont take shift space as specific keystroke and array
> dont take ctrl so i choose that): move backward.
>
> i search during half a hour but dont find a relevant quote from pinky and
> the brain. sad.
> What i really like Igor is, i don't need to close the morph for apply my
> change to the render method, i mean in addition to not recompile the whole
> project.
>

> <NBOpenGL-JB end i am tired.st>
>

> <Screen shot 2012-03-01 at 1.26.09 AM.png>
>

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> woow...
>
> it is always fun to see that something which looks like trash (who can
> be impressed by a stupid rotating cube today?)
> can be turned into piece of art with a few keystrokes, just by taking
> right pictures :)
>
> And that's why it is soo fun to work with graphics.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.
>

> Regards
> Jean Baptiste Arnaud

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Igor Stasenko
On 1 March 2012 04:01, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1 March 2012 03:00, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My first rotating cube i programmed in 1982, when i was 16. Today,
>> Professors at Inria learn it to do from scratch. O tempora, o mores!
>>
>> What advance in informatics!!!

btw, you can train your speech on streets.
Every time you will see a baby trying to stand and walk, you can say:
O tempora, o mores! I was able to do that <your age> - 1 years back!

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Igor Stasenko
Some good news about my demo.
After updating my Lion from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3,
i found that shader magically started working, allowing to enjoy the
smoothing of bezier2 curves running completely on GPU..

Does anybody knows, if there any press-release of some sort, where i
can find what actually was changed/fixed?
Strangely enough, that same shader were working on snow leopard
before.. so looks like temporal regression which is fixed.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: fun with NBOpenGL

Guido Stepken

At minimum as Pharo demo i expect to see data coming from a mysql database or csv file, flying around as bar graph on the pharo desktop.

Such simple things i had in 1986 as demo in Turbo Pascal. See FreePascal, e.g. Any platform, stable compiler, plenty of libs, blazingly fast, good community support.

Have fun, Guido Stepken

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.