further tests Re: Float printString?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

further tests Re: Float printString?

kuszi
Dear Holger,

I've checked the Float class source and narrowed the error to this
scenario, which is a differend code point but raises the same error:

(start gst in command line and enter the following:)

2 raisedToInteger: (-0.00019623982224262149)  exponent -
(-0.00019623982224262149) class precision + 1

Going into details:

st>(-0.00019623982224262149)  exponent
-13



st> (-0.00019623982224262149) class precision
53
st> (-0.00019623982224262149) class precision + 1
54

So, -13 - 54 = -67

2^(-67) with calculator:       2^(-67) = 6.7762636e-21


Evaluating the following leads to the same:

st> 2 raisedToInteger: -67
Object: 1 error: The program attempted to divide a number by zero
ZeroDivide(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
SmallInteger(Number)>>zeroDivide (SysExcept.st:1386)
Fraction>>setNumerator:setDenominator: (Fraction.st:485)
Fraction class>>numerator:denominator: (Fraction.st:66)
Fraction>>raisedToInteger: (Fraction.st:510)
SmallInteger(Number)>>raisedToInteger: (Number.st:922)
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)


best regards
Robert




2016-07-06 12:08 GMT+02:00 Holger Freyther <[hidden email]>:

>
> > On 06 Jul 2016, at 10:44, Robert Kuszinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've made a script to perform GRASS GIS operations automatically.
> > It was running for weeks nicely.
> >
> > Today it emerged:
> >
> > Object: 1 error: The program attempted to divide a number by zero
>
>
>
> > ZeroDivide(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
> > SmallInteger(Number)>>zeroDivide (SysExcept.st:1386)
> > Fraction>>setNumerator:setDenominator: (Fraction.st:485)
> > Fraction class>>numerator:denominator: (Fraction.st:66)
> > Fraction>>raisedToInteger: (Fraction.st:510)
>
> so the denominator is 0? Can you use >>#inspect on your float to see what
> your float looks like?
>
> holger
_______________________________________________
help-smalltalk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: further tests Re: Float printString?

Holger Freyther

> On 06 Jul 2016, at 13:49, Robert Kuszinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Dear Holger,

Hi!

>
> So, -13 - 54 = -67
>
> 2^(-67) with calculator:       2^(-67) = 6.7762636e-21
>
>
> Evaluating the following leads to the same:
>
> st> 2 raisedToInteger: -67
> Object: 1 error: The program attempted to divide a number by zero
> ZeroDivide(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
> SmallInteger(Number)>>zeroDivide (SysExcept.st:1386)
> Fraction>>setNumerator:setDenominator: (Fraction.st:485)
> Fraction class>>numerator:denominator: (Fraction.st:66)
> Fraction>>raisedToInteger: (Fraction.st:510)
> SmallInteger(Number)>>raisedToInteger: (Number.st:922)
> UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)

how did you compile GST? Is this with GMP enabled or not?

st> 2.0 raisedToInteger: -67
6.776263578034403d-21

st>  2 raisedToInteger: -67
1/147573952589676412928

_______________________________________________
help-smalltalk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: further tests Re: Float printString?

kuszi
Dear Holger, Paolo

from the local package cache I successfully downgraded to 3.2.5:

[kuszi@kuszidell pkg]$ ls -l smalltalk-3.2.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2742768 ápr    8 22.01
smalltalk-3.2.5-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2856712 jún   29 22.36
smalltalk-3.2.91-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz


3.2.5 works well meanwhile the GMP update arrived this morning into Arch.
So, this is not a smalltalk/gmp divergence or whatever.

*Thanks for your support and ideas!*


As you see the 3.2.91-1 version of GST arrived on 29th June into Arch, so
the problem may be present since then...

Meanwhile I made an own build for 3.2.91 with the .configure --with-gmp but
it was also buggy, so it was not a gmp linking/version problem

I will contact the package maintainer and tell about the problem.
I could live on 3.2.5 until then :)

Best regards
Robert





2016-07-06 21:42 GMT+02:00 Holger Freyther <[hidden email]>:

>
> > On 06 Jul 2016, at 14:37, Robert Kuszinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> >
> >
> > So, I think it IS compiled with gmp.
> >
> > This is quite a fresh build, so I think it is bad since 29 Jun - the
> date of the package distributed through Arch repo...
> > I run my script last week, so previous version was OK. I know that that
> the problem it could come from underlying libs as well.
>
> Which package got distributed on the 29th? I see a GMP update to testing
> on the 30th? Can you easily downgrade (never used arch/pacman?) that gmp
> package? It would give a strong hint that it is something between GST and
> GMP.
>
> holger
_______________________________________________
help-smalltalk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: further tests Re: Float printString?

Holger Freyther

> On 07 Jul 2016, at 12:33, Robert Kuszinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Dear Holger, Paolo
>

Hi!


> 3.2.5 works well meanwhile the GMP update arrived this morning into Arch. So, this is not a smalltalk/gmp divergence or whatever.
>
> Thanks for your support and ideas!
>
>
> As you see the 3.2.91-1 version of GST arrived on 29th June into Arch, so the problem may be present since then...
>
> Meanwhile I made an own build for 3.2.91 with the .configure --with-gmp but it was also buggy, so it was not a gmp linking/version problem
>
> I will contact the package maintainer and tell about the problem.
> I could live on 3.2.5 until then :)

I want to get 3.3 (3.2.9X being alpha/beta releases) out of the door. If you have time to git bisect between 3.2 and HEAD it would be great. Otherwise I need to find a weekend and install Arch. ;)

holger
_______________________________________________
help-smalltalk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: further tests Re: Float printString?

kuszi
Holger,

OK I'll try now....

I'll come up with the results.



Robert


2016-07-07 14:34 GMT+02:00 Holger Freyther <[hidden email]>:

>
> > On 07 Jul 2016, at 12:33, Robert Kuszinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Dear Holger, Paolo
> >
>
> Hi!
>
>
> > 3.2.5 works well meanwhile the GMP update arrived this morning into
> Arch. So, this is not a smalltalk/gmp divergence or whatever.
> >
> > Thanks for your support and ideas!
> >
> >
> > As you see the 3.2.91-1 version of GST arrived on 29th June into Arch,
> so the problem may be present since then...
> >
> > Meanwhile I made an own build for 3.2.91 with the .configure --with-gmp
> but it was also buggy, so it was not a gmp linking/version problem
> >
> > I will contact the package maintainer and tell about the problem.
> > I could live on 3.2.5 until then :)
>
> I want to get 3.3 (3.2.9X being alpha/beta releases) out of the door. If
> you have time to git bisect between 3.2 and HEAD it would be great.
> Otherwise I need to find a weekend and install Arch. ;)
>
> holger
> _______________________________________________
> help-smalltalk mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
>
_______________________________________________
help-smalltalk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-smalltalk
Loading...