gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

12

gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

askoh
Administrator
Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/

I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic languages and we can capitalize on that.

Go Smalltalk,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Igor Stasenko
On 15 April 2012 14:46, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/
>
> I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice
> gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic
> languages and we can capitalize on that.

can you respond (i'm not registered there), that we have NBOpenGL
:)
http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL.html

as guy want, a low-level binding.

there's even some videos made by Lawson English running the demo.

> Go Smalltalk,
> Aik-Siong Koh

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sig,

Not intending to give you a hard time, but I went to the page, saw a -X package, and started to wonder if that might be linux support.  But FWIW, I can't load any of it.  The instructions failed, so I tried #load, and each variant gives some kine of DNU error.  Maybe I have an inconsistent set of code loaded??

In the grander view, Metacello continues to be (IMHO) a bottomless well of ever-changing load instructions.  Either we need a reliable on-line grid (for Pharo x.x.x load this way...), or perhaps the configurations should carry (and automatically use) this type of information.  I know it's not easy, but if we are trying to attract new users, this type of complexity is not going to help our cause.

Bill

On 15 April 2012 14:46, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/
>
> I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice
> gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic
> languages and we can capitalize on that.

can you respond (i'm not registered there), that we have NBOpenGL
:)
http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL.html

as guy want, a low-level binding.

there's even some videos made by Lawson English running the demo.

> Go Smalltalk,
> Aik-Siong Koh

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

philippeback
Well, ever tried to setup a proper maven repository in Java? Metacello looks pretty clean in comparison to iBiblio and friends.

Modularization is hard, no matter with what tool.

Phil

2012/4/15 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Sig,

Not intending to give you a hard time, but I went to the page, saw a -X package, and started to wonder if that might be linux support.  But FWIW, I can't load any of it.  The instructions failed, so I tried #load, and each variant gives some kine of DNU error.  Maybe I have an inconsistent set of code loaded??

In the grander view, Metacello continues to be (IMHO) a bottomless well of ever-changing load instructions.  Either we need a reliable on-line grid (for Pharo x.x.x load this way...), or perhaps the configurations should carry (and automatically use) this type of information.  I know it's not easy, but if we are trying to attract new users, this type of complexity is not going to help our cause.

Bill

On 15 April 2012 14:46, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/
>
> I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice
> gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic
> languages and we can capitalize on that.

can you respond (i'm not registered there), that we have NBOpenGL
:)
http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL.html

as guy want, a low-level binding.

there's even some videos made by Lawson English running the demo.

> Go Smalltalk,
> Aik-Siong Koh

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

LawsonEnglish
I went ahead and plugged my videos and so on in my response.

L.

On 4/15/12 7:12 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 15 April 2012 14:46, askoh<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
>> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/
>>
>> I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice
>> gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic
>> languages and we can capitalize on that.
>>
> can you respond (i'm not registered there), that we have NBOpenGL
> :)
> http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL.html
>
> as guy want, a low-level binding.
>
> there's even some videos made by Lawson English running the demo.
>
>> Go Smalltalk,
>> Aik-Siong Koh

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Erwan Douaille
Hi,

Maybe we can show us in some weeks my project ? I'm using NBOpenGL ;)
That's not a game but that can show what we can do with pharo

2012/4/15 Lawson English <[hidden email]>
I went ahead and plugged my videos and so on in my response.

L.

On 4/15/12 7:12 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
On 15 April 2012 14:46, askoh<[hidden email]>  wrote:
Some is interested in using Smalltalk for prototyping of games.
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623380-game-programming-in-smalltalk/

I think we should respond very constructively on gamedev.net to entice
gamers to try Smalltalk. Programmers are coming to appreciate dynamic
languages and we can capitalize on that.

can you respond (i'm not registered there), that we have NBOpenGL
:)
http://www.squeaksource.com/NBOpenGL.html

as guy want, a low-level binding.

there's even some videos made by Lawson English running the demo.

Go Smalltalk,
Aik-Siong Koh

Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Frank Shearar-3
On 15 April 2012 18:53, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, ever tried to setup a proper maven repository in Java? Metacello looks
> pretty clean in comparison to iBiblio and friends.

Do you mean a maven _repository_ or a maven _build_?

frank

> Modularization is hard, no matter with what tool.
>
> Phil
>
> 2012/4/15 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
>
>> Sig,
>>
>> Not intending to give you a hard time, but I went to the page, saw a -X
>> package, and started to wonder if that might be linux support.  But FWIW, I
>> can't load any of it.  The instructions failed, so I tried #load, and each
>> variant gives some kine of DNU error.  Maybe I have an inconsistent set of
>> code loaded??
>>
>> In the grander view, Metacello continues to be (IMHO) a bottomless well of
>> ever-changing load instructions.  Either we need a reliable on-line grid
>> (for Pharo x.x.x load this way...), or perhaps the configurations should
>> carry (and automatically use) this type of information.  I know it's not
>> easy, but if we are trying to attract new users, this type of complexity is
>> not going to help our cause.
>>
>> Bill

Repository proxy.

On 15 April 2012 16:50, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sig,
>
> Not intending to give you a hard time, but I went to the page, saw a -X package, and started to wonder if that might be linux support.  But FWIW, I can't load any of it.  The instructions failed, so I tried #load, and each variant gives some kine of DNU error.  Maybe I have an inconsistent set of code loaded??

this is for X server. which usually runs on linux(es).
Javier is working on that. There are couple bugs left, but we already
have an updated configuration, but its not yet on public repository.

@Javier, can you upload a new config of NBOpenGL to the squeaksource?

> In the grander view, Metacello continues to be (IMHO) a bottomless well of ever-changing load instructions.  Either we need a reliable on-line grid (for Pharo x.x.x load this way...), or perhaps the configurations should carry (and automatically use) this type of information.  I know it's not easy, but if we are trying to attract new users, this type of complexity is not going to help our cause.

yes, we need to invent some conventions. Because different developers
using different names and different labels for configuration versions.
for instance, i avoid labeling versions as #stable , most of them are
#development..
for this reason, #lastVersion, #latestVersion loads either outdated
stuff, or even worse, a baseline..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

melkyades
Thank's to igor's debugging help it works in linux too.

Gofer new
 squeaksource: 'NBOpenGL';
 package: 'ConfigurationOfNBOpenGL';
 load.

(ConfigurationOfNBOpenGL project version: '1.0.3') load.

(notice the 1.0.3 instead of 1.0.2)

Please test that it works. There may be some random crashes, be careful and save your image before testing. You can test doing

GLTTRenderingDemo new openInWorld.

just be sure to have Tahoma and save your image. There's room for improvement in context creation waiting for anybody with some free time.

cheers!

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Lic. Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
On Ubuntu Lucid, it blows up in #forCurrentPlatform - can't find a suitable implementation.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Lic. Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Tomi Neste-2
Is it supposed to work with the 1.3 one click package?

I tried it with 1.3 on Ubuntu 10.04, copied over the Unix CogNB files,
and while loading NativeBoost-Core-IgorStasenko.56 I get a
"ContextPart doesNotUnderstand: #simulatePrimitive:module:with:".

tomppa

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I thought I read it was 1.4 only??

On 16 April 2012 17:58, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought I read it was 1.4 only??

yes, the NativeBoost version past 1.0.9 (IIRC) are no longer supports Pharo 1.3.
This is because of fixes/improvements to primitive simulation code done in 1.4.

actually you can ignore this error and continue loading the package,
but you won't be able to debug the methods with nativeboost primitive,
because it requires special treatment.
as for the rest it should work fine even on 1.3.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Tomi Neste-2
Right, got it loading just fine with the 1.4. The TTRendering demo is
having some problems with initializing the GL context but that's
probably a driver issue, I'll have to try something simpler.

tomppa

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

No stable measn stable and this is good
Development means that you are developing and that people use at their own risk

Use stable to milestone.
This way clients can work on your stable versions and milestone too their software.

On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:48 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> yes, we need to invent some conventions. Because different developers
> using different names and different labels for configuration versions.
> for instance, i avoid labeling versions as #stable , most of them are
> #development..
> for this reason, #lastVersion, #latestVersion loads either outdated
> stuff, or even worse, a baseline..

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

What about stable relative to a given version of Pharo?  I *really* think that to be useful, Metacello needs to be consistent.  As it is, one seems to be left looking at blessings and guessing at what might work.  The current and occasional (and very helpful) "no, use THIS version..." is appreciated, but hardly grounds for success.

Bill

On 18 April 2012 17:19, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stef,
>
> What about stable relative to a given version of Pharo?  I *really* think that to be useful, Metacello needs to be consistent.  As it is, one seems to be left looking at blessings and guessing at what might work.  The current and occasional (and very helpful) "no, use THIS version..." is appreciated, but hardly grounds for success.

"Stable version of foo relative to bar" means a having a
ConfigurationOfFooForPharo13, ConfigurationOfFooForPharo14,
ConfigurationOfFooForSqueak44, and so on.

That people don't write these configurations is not a failing of Metacello.

frank

> Bill

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Frank Shearar-3 wrote
"Stable version of foo relative to bar" means a having a
ConfigurationOfFooForPharo13, ConfigurationOfFooForPharo14,
ConfigurationOfFooForSqueak44, and so on.
Now that we have symbolic platforms in Metacello, one configuration specifies what to load for Pharo 1.3 vs. 1.4 vs. Squeak 4.4. Why would you make separate configs? The great thing about Metacello is that I can drop the config on any supported image and have it do the right thing...

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: gamedev.net post asking about Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
YES!!!!!!   That's what we need.  The package system must know what to do and do the correct thing in context, or it is (sorry) more trouble than it's worth.

Bill