classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gemstone users?

larrry
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on a platform for a new project and I'm considering VW with Gemstone.  I'm looking for something where persistant model classes can be added at runtime.  The database itself will be structured as a network with the dynamically added classes as nodes and the relationships between them defined by links. 

I'm assuming there's no restriction to adding classes dynamically within deployed VW apps. 

I know i can do this with a relational backend, but my sense is that queries involving multiple classes will quickly degrade because if a class can be linked to any other class, and each is persisted in a separate table, the number of joins or subqueries for each item could equal the number of types in the system.

Does anybody have similar experiences who could comment on the general architecture approach and/or on using Gemstone in particular?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: gemstone users?

jarober
There are no restrictions on using the compiler in any way in a deployed
application.  We stopped doing that before VW went to Cincom.

At 12:12 PM 2/19/2006, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to decide on a platform for a new project and I'm considering
>VW with Gemstone.  I'm looking for something where persistant model
>classes can be added at runtime.  The database itself will be structured
>as a network with the dynamically added classes as nodes and the
>relationships between them defined by links.
>
>I'm assuming there's no restriction to adding classes dynamically within
>deployed VW apps.
>
>I know i can do this with a relational backend, but my sense is that
>queries involving multiple classes will quickly degrade because if a class
>can be linked to any other class, and each is persisted in a separate
>table, the number of joins or subqueries for each item could equal the
>number of types in the system.
>
>Does anybody have similar experiences who could comment on the general
>architecture approach and/or on using Gemstone in particular?
>
>Thanks.

<Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: gemstone users?

Bruce Badger
In reply to this post by larrry
Larry,

On 20/02/06, Larry White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm assuming there's no restriction to adding classes dynamically within
> deployed VW apps.

Both VW and GemStone will let you progtamatically add new classes.

> Does anybody have similar experiences who could comment on the general
> architecture approach and/or on using Gemstone in particular?

I have never deployed an app that created classes on the fly, so I
don't have the experience to comment on what issues you might run
into.  The idea of creating new classes to represent network nodes
does strike me as being odd (unless the classes represent *kinds* of
nodes, perhaps).  In relational terms, this would be like creating a
table for each network node, but having no rows in the tables - I
don't understand how that would work.

I can't imagine any application model in VW that could not also be
represented in GemStone.  Both are "just" Smalltalk in this regard.

All the best,
   Bruce
--
Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
http://www.openskills.org/

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: gemstone users?

Steven Kelly

I've not used Gemstone for about 12 years, but I can confirm that the general architectural approach works fine with VW and an OODBMS. One thing to be wary of with VW is the major slowdown in creating new classes since BindingReference etc. were added (5i-7). If your classes have no new behavior of their own, and do not affect existing name bindings, you should be able to shortcut VW's desire to #relinkSystem after every new class. If you need to relink, you can batch multiple class creations into one relink.

Another thing to be aware of is the "format" instance variable of classes, which encodes the total number of instance variables that instances of that class have. Saving new persistent classes normally is fine, and the value of format is stored with each. However, if you add a new instance variable to the non-persistent superclass of the persistent classes, at a time when the persistent classes are not loaded, next time you load them their format will still reflect the old number of instance variables, and you'll have to update it yourself.

Most OODBMSs also have problems with class instance variables in persistent classes. Some cannot even store values for these, others will not let you add new ones in persistent subclasses. Also, OODBMS support for namespaces varies, and is unlikely to match VW perfectly - if you can stuff all your persistent classes into one namespace, preferably Smalltalk, so much the better!

Finally, you'll need to be aware of the behavior of #flushVMmethodCache[EntriesFor:]. It's rather disconcerting when you can see that the source code of your method matches the CompiledCode bytecode, but the behavior when you actually run it is different! It doesn't help that the method comments in the #flushVMmethodCache stuff are more descriptive of what might once have been envisaged to be done, rather than what actually happens ;-). If you can accept the performance loss of flushing the entire native code cache after every class creation or structure change, you don't need to worry about this at all (highly recommended for ongoing mental health!).

Having said all this, please be aware that my comments are based on the problems encountered over 13 years, all have been few and far between over that time, and I was using different VW versions and a different OODBMS.

All the best,
Steve
--
Steven Kelly, CTO, MetaCase,
http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView
> > > >  "The most significant innovation over the next 10 years"  < < < <
Bill Gates on Domain-Specific Modeling, www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9166
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 19 February 2006 19:12
To: [hidden email]
Subject: gemstone users?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide on a platform for a new project and I'm considering VW with Gemstone.  I'm looking for something where persistant model classes can be added at runtime.  The database itself will be structured as a network with the dynamically added classes as nodes and the relationships between them defined by links. 

I'm assuming there's no restriction to adding classes dynamically within deployed VW apps. 

I know i can do this with a relational backend, but my sense is that queries involving multiple classes will quickly degrade because if a class can be linked to any other class, and each is persisted in a separate table, the number of joins or subqueries for each item could equal the number of types in the system.

Does anybody have similar experiences who could comment on the general architecture approach and/or on using Gemstone in particular?

Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: gemstone users?

Steven Kelly

If your persistent classes have no behavior of their own, you might want to consider not using classes at all. As a general concept, classes have two things: behavior, and instances with instance variables. VW makes Behavior the root of the Class class hierarchy, which means you can have Class-like things with just behavior and no ability to make instances with new instance variables, but not Class-like things with the ability to make instances with new instance variables, but with no new behavior. If all you need is instances with new instance variables, you might well be better off making your own mechanism for adding instance variables. At the end of the day all ivs are is an array, and adding an iv simply goes through all instances and inserts a new slot at the appropriate point in the array. You can either duplicate that with a real Array, OrderedCollection, or even a Dictionary (which removes the need to go through all instances when adding an iv, since you can use #at:ifAbsentPut:[defaultValue]).

So your MySuperclassOfAllPersistentClasses would have an iv "fakeInstVarDict" or something like that, containing associations of instVarName->instVarValue, along with another called "type", which would point to an instance of MyInstVarInfoForPersistentSubclasses.

An approach like this - if possible in your case - would save you from fighting VW's mechanisms for updating the system on class changes (#relinkSystem, #flushVMmethodCache). It would also make your code a lot more portable to other languages and DBs, and more flexible in what semantics you want to attach to a class having an iv. Of course, that flexibility also means more work and more potential potholes: you're essentially creating a significant part of the semantics of an OO programming language yourself.

Cheers,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 19 February 2006 19:12
To: [hidden email]
Subject: gemstone users?

Hi,

Thanks.