gemtools auto abort

SeanTAllen
i assume auto abort does an abort from time to time so that
transactions dont back up if you leave gemtools open and connected.

is that correct? if yes, how often does it do an abort?

Re: gemtools auto abort

Dale

----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| i assume auto abort does an abort from time to time so that
| transactions dont back up if you leave gemtools open and connected.
|
| is that correct? if yes, how often does it do an abort?
Sean,

autoAbort, is an extension of autoCommit. With autoCommit, a commit is done at the end of each command (menu picks/doits). With autoAbort, an abort is done before the command is executed and a commit is done at the end.

It's main utility is when there are multiple users sharing the same data base, since the abort means that you can pretty much avoid commit conflicts when editting code.

autoAbort is a little odd (right now) if you open a debugger:

  1. abort
  2. execute code that starts updating persistent state
  3. debugger pops up

At this point in time, if you execute a doit or save a method in a browser, the command does an abort which wipes out all of the updates that may have been made by the code up to the moment that the debugger was opened.

It bit me several times when loading Metacello configurations so autoAbort is not turned on by default.

I think in  a single user system that autoAbort in conjunction with manual transactions could be very useful ... in between commands the gem would be sitting outside of transaction so you could stay logged into a production system without having an impact ... With that said, I think that a little more work would need to be done on the autoAbort command to make it work correctly in manual transactionmode ....

Dale

Re: gemtools auto abort

SeanTAllen
Dale, I can see that you sent a response by gmail wont let me at it.

Could you resend the response with another subject?

O how I love when software gets squirrelly.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i assume auto abort does an abort from time to time so that
> transactions dont back up if you leave gemtools open and connected.
>
> is that correct? if yes, how often does it do an abort?

Re: gemtools auto abort

SeanTAllen
Gmail finally let me see the message.

Auto abort with manual would be great as sometimes I walk away from an
open session because I get distracted by a phone call or other work.

Re: gemtools auto abort

Dale
That's exactly the scenario that it would be useful for ...

I've submitted Issue 108 http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=108) to track this...