generate a movie?

Randy Heiland
The presentation I gave yesterday to about 25 Indiana school teachers on
Squeak went reasonably well.  More to come.  But for starters, one teacher
who had actually played with Squeak a bit asked if it was possible to
capture movies within Squeak.  I told her no, I didn't think so, but wanted
to verify this.  I know the Object Cataglog/Multimedia has the mpegplayer.
I realize that doing movie capture, in general, can be a bit tricky - with
multiple formats, quality and frame rate params, etc., not to mention a
possibly large file as output.  Still, it would be nice to, say, capture
frames in playfield (start/stop) in some "standard" movie format.

--Randy

Re: generate a movie?

Arvind Grover
I had asked a similar question before, and Kim ran it by the Squeak development group. No easy answers. I have been using the free software Wink (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) to capture animations to Flash movies. It is based on screen-shot captures, but allows for very nice annotations during movies.

Re: generate a movie?

Markus Gälli-3
Another of this annoying "It would be nice to have but I don't have
time for it right now..."-posts:

The current event recorder (found in Objects Presentations) is pixel/
graphic oriented
and quite broken, eg. it barks on color-picking or parameter-changing.

A nice feature of an upcoming squeak(land)/tweak version could be the
possibility
to log all user actions as high-level-commands like "open supplies
flap" "drag-n-drop playfield A into world"
"drag-n-drop playfield B into playfield A" "Open Viewer on B" "Create
Color Changing Command of B" etc...
you get the idea.

To record the canonical car-demo, one still would need to log pixel-
based paint-strokes of fat black tires of course...

An advantage of such a more content and less pixel-oriented approach
could be more compatibility
between different images (be it squeakland or squeak-dev) and that
one could render
the log into some silent movie or latex/rtf format.

If one could annotate each command with a (spoken) comment, one
should be able to render
the whole story into a non silent movie too.

Cheers,

Markus

On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Arvind Grover wrote:

> I had asked a similar question before, and Kim ran it by the Squeak
> development group. No easy answers. I have been using the free
> software Wink (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) to capture
> animations to Flash movies. It is based on screen-shot captures,
> but allows for very nice annotations during movies.

Re: generate a movie?

Alan Kay
But, if I read the original question -- it seems that it is about making
movies that are playable in Squeak from other formats, including those that
cameras use.

There are a variety of SW apps that can do this, and some of them are free,
depending on which platform you have.

Cheers,

Alan

-------------

At 01:18 PM 2/13/2006, Markus Gaelli wrote:

>Another of this annoying "It would be nice to have but I don't have
>time for it right now..."-posts:
>
>The current event recorder (found in Objects Presentations) is pixel/
>graphic oriented
>and quite broken, eg. it barks on color-picking or parameter-changing.
>
>A nice feature of an upcoming squeak(land)/tweak version could be the
>possibility
>to log all user actions as high-level-commands like "open supplies
>flap" "drag-n-drop playfield A into world"
>"drag-n-drop playfield B into playfield A" "Open Viewer on B" "Create
>Color Changing Command of B" etc...
>you get the idea.
>
>To record the canonical car-demo, one still would need to log pixel-
>based paint-strokes of fat black tires of course...
>
>An advantage of such a more content and less pixel-oriented approach
>could be more compatibility
>between different images (be it squeakland or squeak-dev) and that
>one could render
>the log into some silent movie or latex/rtf format.
>
>If one could annotate each command with a (spoken) comment, one
>should be able to render
>the whole story into a non silent movie too.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Markus
>

>On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Arvind Grover wrote:
>
> > I had asked a similar question before, and Kim ran it by the Squeak
> > development group. No easy answers. I have been using the free
> > software Wink (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) to capture
> > animations to Flash movies. It is based on screen-shot captures,
> > but allows for very nice annotations during movies.

Re: generate a movie?

Randy Heiland
No, actually, the woman/teacher who originally asked this said she'd like to
take movies generated in Squeak and be able to put them on the web, i.e.
play in a browser.
--Randy

Re: generate a movie?

Alan Kay
Oh ... Well, Takashi Yamamiya has done this, and I think he did use Wink.

Cheers,

Alan

At 09:22 AM 2/14/2006, Randy Heiland wrote:

>No, actually, the woman/teacher who originally asked this said she'd like to
>take movies generated in Squeak and be able to put them on the web, i.e.
>play in a browser.
>--Randy

Re: generate a movie?

Darius Clarke
Wink works well for instructing how to input data or control the interface.

Wink screen capture doesn't work so well if you are trying to show animation.
I wonder if the World Morph could save exported GIF or JPG files at 10th of a second intervals to be imported into Wink to simulate animation. This will generate a large Wink file though.

http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Cheers,
Darius