getting up and running

Daniel Lyons
Hi,

I'm trying to get a Magma server up and running for the sake of learning, and having some trouble. My inclination is to use Pharo, but I'm getting the impression recent versions of Magma don't run on Pharo 1.1 or 1.2. Is there a known stable version of Magma that does that I can load? If so, how would I go about doing that?

If the best answer is to use Squeak, I'm also a little confused about which package manager to use and how; the documentation on the Squeak wiki seems to be a bit out of date, or else I'm using too recent a version of Squeak (4.2 all-in-one).

In short, I guess I'm wondering what versions of Magma run with what Smalltalks and how to get them there. I suspect I just have bad timing and this will all be sorted out soon, but I thought I'd check anyway just to see if there's something obvious I'm missing.

Thanks!

Daniel Lyons

Re: getting up and running

Amir Ansari
The latest Magma works fine on Pharo 1.1.  I didn't have any luck on 1.2, however (not surprisingly, as it's not a stable release...).

Amir

On Mar 12, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Amir Ansari wrote:

> The latest Magma works fine on Pharo 1.1.  I didn't have any luck on 1.2, however (not surprisingly, as it's not a stable release...).

Amir,

Sorry to bother. I tried this:

        Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
                package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
                load.

        ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load

And this produced 'Error: Unable to resolve ConfigurationOfMagma' on a blank Pharo 1.1.1 image. I found documentation saying to add an HTTP repository to the Monticello Browser with the URL http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma. I do so and re-run the above code and then I get this error: 'MetacelloProjectSpecLoadError: No version found for #stable of ConfigurationOfMaClientServer'. Proceeding from there produces a warning that the package depends on MaEnvironmentError, MaVariableBuffer and a number of other classes. If I proceed through that, I don't seem to wind up with a MagmaRepositoryController class.

Any idea what steps I'm missing?

Thanks again,

Daniel Lyons

Re: getting up and running

Amir Ansari
I installed it manually from the 'MagmaTester' repository on SqueakSource.

The order of packages is listed here: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001620.html
(For Magma client, you only need to go as far as 'Magma client-cmm.520'; for server, install everything.)

BUT - before anything else - install WeakOrderedCollection: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001612.html
(The attachment has suffix 'bin', but it's actually 'gz', so change the suffix before extracting it.  Use the file browser to load it into Pharo.)

Also, for getting started, check out Laurent Laffont's excellent screencast at: http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/02/magma-object-oriented-database.html

Hope that helps!

Amir

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:47:53 -0700
Daniel Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry to bother. I tried this:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
> load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load
>
> And this produced 'Error: Unable to resolve ConfigurationOfMagma' on a blank Pharo 1.1.1 image. I found documentation saying to add an HTTP repository to the Monticello Browser with the URL http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma. I do so and re-run the above code and then I get this error: 'MetacelloProjectSpecLoadError: No version found for #stable of ConfigurationOfMaClientServer'. Proceeding from there produces a warning that the package depends on MaEnvironmentError, MaVariableBuffer and a number of other classes. If I proceed through that, I don't seem to wind up with a MagmaRepositoryController class.
>
> Any idea what steps I'm missing?

Re: getting up and running

Daniel Lyons
Amir,

Thanks! I think it's working now, I have successfully created a MagmaRepositoryController with no errors. Now to learn more!

On Mar 12, 2011, at 11:51 PM, Amir Ansari wrote:

> I installed it manually from the 'MagmaTester' repository on SqueakSource.
>
> The order of packages is listed here: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001620.html
> (For Magma client, you only need to go as far as 'Magma client-cmm.520'; for server, install everything.)
>
> BUT - before anything else - install WeakOrderedCollection: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001612.html
> (The attachment has suffix 'bin', but it's actually 'gz', so change the suffix before extracting it.  Use the file browser to load it into Pharo.)
>
> Also, for getting started, check out Laurent Laffont's excellent screencast at: http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/02/magma-object-oriented-database.html
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Amir

Daniel Lyons

Re: getting up and running

Chris Muller-3
Hello all,  that installation procedure is old, and will result in an
older version of Magma being installed.  I recommend following the
installation instructions from the Magma home page, which I had
updated about a month ago..

  - Chris

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Amir Ansari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed it manually from the 'MagmaTester' repository on SqueakSource.
>
> The order of packages is listed here: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001620.html
> (For Magma client, you only need to go as far as 'Magma client-cmm.520'; for server, install everything.)
>
> BUT - before anything else - install WeakOrderedCollection: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2010-November/001612.html
> (The attachment has suffix 'bin', but it's actually 'gz', so change the suffix before extracting it.  Use the file browser to load it into Pharo.)
>
> Also, for getting started, check out Laurent Laffont's excellent screencast at: http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/02/magma-object-oriented-database.html
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Amir
>

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:47:53 -0700
> Daniel Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to bother. I tried this:
>>
>>       Gofer new
>>               squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>               package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
>>               load.
>>
>>       ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagma) project latestVersion) load
>>
>> And this produced 'Error: Unable to resolve ConfigurationOfMagma' on a blank Pharo 1.1.1 image. I found documentation saying to add an HTTP repository to the Monticello Browser with the URL http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma. I do so and re-run the above code and then I get this error: 'MetacelloProjectSpecLoadError: No version found for #stable of ConfigurationOfMaClientServer'. Proceeding from there produces a warning that the package depends on MaEnvironmentError, MaVariableBuffer and a number of other classes. If I proceed through that, I don't seem to wind up with a MagmaRepositoryController class.
>>
>> Any idea what steps I'm missing?

Re: getting up and running

Daniel Lyons
Chris,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:39:39AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hello all,  that installation procedure is old, and will result in an
> older version of Magma being installed.  I recommend following the
> installation instructions from the Magma home page, which I had
> updated about a month ago..

Is this the Magma homepage? http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657

If so, the installation instructions there don't work for Pharo, which
doesn't come with an SMSqueakMap, and I wasn't able to find
instructions for getting one. If this isn't the Magma homepage, some
links need to be updated on the Seaside site and we need better Google
page rank.

I'd much rather install it the correct, supported way, but Amir's
technique is the only one that has gotten me a working Magma install
in a blank Pharo 1.1 or 1.2 image, and I tried everything I found
before coming to the mailing list to ask for help. Working but old is
better than nothing, especially for casual development and
experimentation.

Thanks!

--
Daniel

Re: getting up and running

Miguel Cobá
Did you ran the tests? are you sure that the old code works in Pharo1.2,
because right now the implementation of TextConstants on Pharo 1.2 isn't
compatible with Magma and test doesn't run.

I'm working to have this issue fixed and finally (after so many delays
for lack of time) release the ConfigurationOfMagma for Pharo.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: getting up and running

Daniel Lyons
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:53:22AM -0600, Miguel Cobá wrote:
> Did you ran the tests? are you sure that the old code works in Pharo1.2,
> because right now the implementation of TextConstants on Pharo 1.2 isn't
> compatible with Magma and test doesn't run.

No, I loaded it into Pharo 1.1 as Amir indicated. I am happy to use
either version, but I couldn't get it to load at all into either 1.1
or 1.2 using the methods I was able to find outside the mailing
list. My preference is to use the newest released version, which is
1.1.

> I'm working to have this issue fixed and finally (after so many delays
> for lack of time) release the ConfigurationOfMagma for Pharo.

That would be awesome!

--
Daniel

Re: getting up and running

Amir Ansari
Gentle reminder: I was only pointing out Chris's manual installation instructions in the mailing list, so it's not really 'my' method... ;-)

Amir

Re: getting up and running

Daniel Lyons
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:39:39AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hello all,  that installation procedure is old, and will result in an
> older version of Magma being installed.  I recommend following the
> installation instructions from the Magma home page, which I had
> updated about a month ago..

Well, I'm still confused, but I don't really see how those
instructions could possibly be correct for Pharo, which doesn't
have an SMSqueakMap. Neither could I find a way to install SMSqueakMap
into a Pharo image.

We are talking about the instructions that suggest running this:

SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates.

"Load Ma client server if not already loaded."
(Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MaClientSocket)
           ifFalse:
                [ SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'Ma client server' version: '1.3' ].

(Smalltalk hasClassNamed: #MagmaSession)
           ifFalse: [ SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'Magma' version: '1.2 client' ].

(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma')
           install: 'Magma server-cmm.421' ;
           install: 'Magma Tools-cmm.52'.

Right?

There's also no Installer in Pharo, but I found someone recommending
creating one like so: ScriptLoader new installingInstaller. Then I can
run the last statement there, but it doesn't do me any good without
the preceeding packages.

Thanks for your help, again,

--
Daniel

Re: getting up and running

Chris Muller-3
Yes, that is for Squeak, which I thought you were interested in using,
but the load-scripts are easily viewed so that the list packages is
shown in proper order for install.

If you are committed to Pharo, please stay tuned, I do intend for
Magma 1.2 running on Pharo 1.2, I need a bit more time..

 - Chris