gl/cl interop

chadwick
Hi, I'm new to Pharo & interested in doing some OpenCL + OpenGL for visualization. Looking around I'm confused by the differences between the various OpenGL libs and Alien vs FFI vs NativeBoost. Years ago I did some OpenGL-based GPGPU work in Squeak (OpenCobalt), but that's all out of date I think. For interop I need to get hold of the current gl context (e.g. glxGetCurrentContext), but according to other threads here that's not so easy in Squeak or Pharo. I tried NativeBoost but it didn't have a Linux implementation. What's the best way to proceed ?

Re: gl/cl interop

melkyades
Hi, I've been working on NB/OpenGL to make it work on linux. I already have a sample working on my machine that will upload this week.

As for the alien vs ffi vs NB ffi. NB FFI is very flexible, as it implements 99% on the image side, and only depends on a single primitive from the VM side, which makes it easier to understand, modify and maintain. That doesn't mean it's perfect but it's really really good, and each day there's more work on it, adding functionality, documentation and examples. If you plan to make a wrapper, I'd strongly recommend you to use NB. There are plans to have some kind of compatibility with other FFIs in the future for cases were NB can't be used.

Cheers,
Javier

Lic. Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: gl/cl interop

On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:58 AM, chadwick wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to Pharo & interested in doing some OpenCL + OpenGL for visualization. Looking around I'm confused by the differences between the various OpenGL libs and Alien vs FFI vs NativeBoost. Years ago I did some OpenGL-based GPGPU work in Squeak (OpenCobalt), but that's all out of date I think. For interop I need to get hold of the current gl context (e.g. glxGetCurrentContext), but according to other threads here that's not so easy in Squeak or Pharo. I tried NativeBoost but it didn't have a Linux implementation. What's the best way to proceed ?

Igor will release soon a new canvas that directly access openGL.
The new canvas is called Athens
        Athens supports
                Cairo
                OpenGL
                bitmap
        Athens OpenGL calling is based on NativeBoost.

Now on the way to go there Javier used NativeBoost to check how we can get access to openGl Context on linux.

I should sit with igor this morning to get a cube in OpenGL debugging on the fly presentation and we will do a
video for YOU. Happy :).

Re: gl/cl interop

chadwick
Now on the way to go there Javier used NativeBoost to check how we can get access to openGl Context on linux.

I should sit with igor this morning to get a cube in OpenGL debugging on the fly presentation and we will do a
video for YOU. Happy :).

 brilliant! can't wait - happy coding awaits!..