glamorous theme :)

12

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.

Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.

How do we proceed?

First, who is willing to maitain it?  Will Doru or gary maitain it?

Anyway, is not a big deal I think. It is a theme, and actually, that's why you can set it via a preference.

what about doing a poll/survey?

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] Polymorph-Themes-Pro package in the PharoInbox repositrory

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.

Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.

How do we proceed?

First, who is willing to maitain it?  Will Doru or gary maitain it?

Sorry, not gary....the author of the Pro tool.

Particulary, I liked more the Pro over the glamourous. Although I don't care which is is default. I DO care that we have a maitainer for them. Specially for the default one.

Anyway, is not a big deal I think. It is a theme, and actually, that's why you can set it via a preference.

what about doing a poll/survey?

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] Polymorph-Themes-Pro package in the PharoInbox repositrory

On Sep 6, 2010, at 16:41 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Screenshots/Screenshot-20100905T111347.png
>>>
>> No round corners! kewl! :))
>
> I would prefer round corners.
>
> Alexandre

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.
>
> Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.
>
> How do we proceed?
>

> First, who is willing to maitain it?  Will Doru or gary maitain it?

I will continue to work on the Glamorous theme at least in the near future.

Cheers,
Doru

> Anyway, is not a big deal I think. It is a theme, and actually, that's why you can set it via a preference.
>
> what about doing a poll/survey?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> [1] Polymorph-Themes-Pro package in the PharoInbox repositrory

> >> No round corners! kewl! :))
> >
> > I would prefer round corners.
> >
> > Alexandre
> >
> > --
> > _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> > Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> > ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

First we should be able to load them int 1.2 core and anymorphic has a refernece to OB task or something.
Personnally (except for the corner button I prefer anymorphic but this is a question of choice).

Stef

On Sep 6, 2010, at 10:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.
>
> Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.
>
> How do we proceed?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> [1] Polymorph-Themes-Pro package in the PharoInbox repositrory

>>> No round corners! kewl! :))
>>
>> I would prefer round corners.
>>
>> Alexandre
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: glamorous theme :)

laurent laffont
Hi Doru,

Using Glamourous I hardly see which button is focused in System Browser between instance or class. So I've made mistakes several times yesterday :)

I really like this theme, especially on a slow computer.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
- does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
- uses a limited amount of colors and effects.

It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:

Gofer new
       squeaksource: 'Glamour';
       package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
       load.
GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
GLMUITheme beCurrent.
GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: glamorous theme :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Laurent,

On 07 Sep 2010, at 08:47, laurent laffont wrote:

> Using Glamourous I hardly see which button is focused in System Browser between instance or class.
> So I've made mistakes several times yesterday :)

You could try my subclass, it tries to solve that problem (to my taste anyway; Des goûts et des couleurs, on ne dispute / discute pas).
It is in SqueakSource ADayAtTheBeach package Pharo-Hacking-Sven (it has 2 subclasses, one for the Pro theme as well).

Sven

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Moose-dev] glamorous theme :)

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 06 Sep 2010, at 22:10, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> So, so now we have 2 themes that appear to be better than the one we use now... I suggest to choose one, maybe adapt it slightly, and integrate it into Pharo 1.2.
>
> Personally, I prefer Glamorous over the Pro theme [1] (I just miss the round corners like Alex :). The dark buttons of the Pro theme look cool at first, but they are very dominant.
>
> How do we proceed?

I would include a small number of well maintained/supported themes.

Of course, every image needs a default, but choice is good here (it is the whole point).

Sven

Re: glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Laurent,

On the Macbook Pro monitor it works well, but indeed, I also thought this would be a problem on less strong monitors.

I now updated the color to get a stronger shade of blue.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Sep 2010, at 08:47, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> Using Glamourous I hardly see which button is focused in System Browser between instance or class. So I've made mistakes several times yesterday :)
>
> I really like this theme, especially on a slow computer.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>
> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
>
> Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
>        package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
>        load.
> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: glamorous theme :)

laurent laffont
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Laurent,

On the Macbook Pro monitor it works well, but indeed, I also thought this would be a problem on less strong monitors.

I now updated the color to get a stronger shade of blue.

What do you think of this one (with a pressed look) ?

buttonSelectedFillStyleFor: aButton
"Return the normal button fillStyle for the given button."
| toptop top bottom base |
base := self glamorousBaseColorFor: aButton.
toptop := base muchDarker.
top := base.
bottom :=  (self glamorousLightSelectionColorFor: aButton) muchLighter.

^(GradientFillStyle ramp: {
0.0->toptop.
0.1->top.
0.9->bottom.})
origin: aButton bounds origin;
direction: 0 @ aButton height;
radial: false

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Sep 2010, at 08:47, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> Using Glamourous I hardly see which button is focused in System Browser between instance or class. So I've made mistakes several times yesterday :)
>
> I really like this theme, especially on a slow computer.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
>
> It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
>
> Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
>        package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
>        load.
> GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: glamorous theme :)

Tudor Girba
It's not bad, but and I do not use this metaphor in the theme. As I said, the goal of the theme is to be really simple and to exercise the minimum amount of graphical variables that would still enable the distinction between the different ui states. The theme is not quite where I would like it to be, but definitely the "pressed button" would introduce another graphical variable that is not really needed from my point of view.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Sep 2010, at 22:37, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> On the Macbook Pro monitor it works well, but indeed, I also thought this would be a problem on less strong monitors.
>
> I now updated the color to get a stronger shade of blue.
>
> What do you think of this one (with a pressed look) ?
>
> buttonSelectedFillStyleFor: aButton
> "Return the normal button fillStyle for the given button."
>
> | toptop top bottom base |
> base := self glamorousBaseColorFor: aButton.
> toptop := base muchDarker.
> top := base.
> bottom :=  (self glamorousLightSelectionColorFor: aButton) muchLighter.
>
> ^(GradientFillStyle ramp: {
> 0.0->toptop.
> 0.1->top.
> 0.9->bottom.})
> origin: aButton bounds origin;
> direction: 0 @ aButton height;
> radial: false
>

> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 7 Sep 2010, at 08:47, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Hi Doru,
> >
> > Using Glamourous I hardly see which button is focused in System Browser between instance or class. So I've made mistakes several times yesterday :)
> >
> > I really like this theme, especially on a slow computer.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Laurent Laffont
> >
> > http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> > http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> >

> > On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the past week I worked on a new theme for Pharo called the Glamorous Theme :). The theme is developed in the context of the Glamour project, and its goal is to create a look that:
> > - does not look like a specific operating system. In particular, the icons should be operating system agnostic, because, for example, people in Windows are confused by the red, yellow, green buttons of apple.
> > - uses a limited amount of colors and effects.
> >
> > It is still work in progress, but you can get the current version by executing:
> >
> > Gofer new
> >        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
> >        package: 'Glamour-Morphic-Theme';
> >        load.
> > GLMUITheme defaultSettings: nil.
> > GLMUITheme beCurrent.
> > GLMUITheme setPreferredWorldBackground.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >
> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

12