classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

global exception handler mechanism

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?

Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.

That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:

MyPreDebugAction>>logException
MyLogger
runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]

Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks,
Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: global exception handler mechanism

Marcus Denker-4
Hello,

The Sunit-Debugger does a stack search on startup to find the test related exception.

It might be good to do it better, especially as the debug process starts from the exception
I might be a good idea to actually keep a reference to it.

Would there be any downside of Exception>>debug passing a reference to the Debugger?

Marcus

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 17:19, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?
>
> Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.
>
> That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:
>
> MyPreDebugAction>>logException
> MyLogger
> runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
> detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>
>
> Is there a better way to approach this?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko

On 5 February 2018 at 10:17, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

The Sunit-Debugger does a stack search on startup to find the test related exception.

It might be good to do it better, especially as the debug process starts from the exception

Would there be any downside of Exception>>debug passing a reference to the Debugger?

Marcus

>
> Hi,
>
>
> Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.
>
> That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:
>
>       MyLogger
>               runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
>                               detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>
>

if you own a process (you creating it) , then it is just a piece of cake, just make a topmost block
with #on:do:
if you don't own a process (suppose you wanna watch already existing one) , it can be done by injecting own context at the bottom of stack , 
well, unless there are exception handler(s) upper, that catch any exception(s) before you can see them.

I think a much better way would be to watch exceptions even before they being handled,
for this, i would override Exception>>#signal 
and add some kind of logging or notification .. well, anything you see fit.
That's, of course, a kind of dangerous, be careful. Do not attempt to throw new exceptions while processing just signaled one, else
you'll get infinite recursion :)

>
> Thanks,
> Peter

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

2018-02-05 11:00 GMT+01:00 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

On 5 February 2018 at 10:17, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Marcus

>
> Hi,
>
>
>
>
>       MyLogger
>               runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
>                               detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>
>

if you own a process (you creating it) , then it is just a piece of cake, just make a topmost block
with #on:do:
if you don't own a process (suppose you wanna watch already existing one) , it can be done by injecting own context at the bottom of stack , 
well, unless there are exception handler(s) upper, that catch any exception(s) before you can see them.

I added it in Pharo 6:

aProcess on: Error do: [:err | err logCr]

It works in both cases: when process is not started and when it is already running.
I used it to intercept errors of forked processes during test run.

It would be cool to add #ensure: in addition.  

I think a much better way would be to watch exceptions even before they being handled,
for this, i would override Exception>>#signal 
and add some kind of logging or notification .. well, anything you see fit.
That's, of course, a kind of dangerous, be careful. Do not attempt to throw new exceptions while processing just signaled one, else
you'll get infinite recursion :)

>
> Thanks,
> Peter

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In reply to this post by Peter Uhnak
You can also override #defaultAction on Exception, and install a custom
UIManager subclass implementing unhandledErrorDefaultAction: (sent by
UnhandledError #defaultAction, receives the error as argument).

Would be nice(r) if UIManager had a defaultUnhandledErrorActionBlock:
setter, but it's not too bothersome creating a subclass.

Cheers,
Henry

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

> Am 16.02.2018 um 13:38 schrieb Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]>:
>
> You can also override #defaultAction on Exception, and install a custom
> UIManager subclass implementing unhandledErrorDefaultAction: (sent by
> UnhandledError #defaultAction, receives the error as argument).
>
> Would be nice(r) if UIManager had a defaultUnhandledErrorActionBlock:
> setter, but it's not too bothersome creating a subclass.
>
+1

Norbert
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html