global exception handler mechanism

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?

Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.

That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:

MyPreDebugAction>>logException
MyLogger
runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]

Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: global exception handler mechanism

Marcus Denker-4
Hello,

The Sunit-Debugger does a stack search on startup to find the test related exception.

It might be good to do it better, especially as the debug process starts from the exception
I might be a good idea to actually keep a reference to it.

Would there be any downside of Exception>>debug passing a reference to the Debugger?

        Marcus

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 17:19, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?
>
> Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.
>
> That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:
>
> MyPreDebugAction>>logException
> MyLogger
> runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
> detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>

> Is there a better way to approach this?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: global exception handler mechanism

Igor Stasenko

On 5 February 2018 at 10:17, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

The Sunit-Debugger does a stack search on startup to find the test related exception.

It might be good to do it better, especially as the debug process starts from the exception
I might be a good idea to actually keep a reference to it.

Would there be any downside of Exception>>debug passing a reference to the Debugger?

        Marcus

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 17:19, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?
>
> Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.
>
> That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:
>
> MyPreDebugAction>>logException
>       MyLogger
>               runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
>                               detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>

> Is there a better way to approach this?

if you own a process (you creating it) , then it is just a piece of cake, just make a topmost block
with #on:do:
if you don't own a process (suppose you wanna watch already existing one) , it can be done by injecting own context at the bottom of stack ,
well, unless there are exception handler(s) upper, that catch any exception(s) before you can see them.

I think a much better way would be to watch exceptions even before they being handled,
for this, i would override Exception>>#signal
and add some kind of logging or notification .. well, anything you see fit.
That's, of course, a kind of dangerous, be careful. Do not attempt to throw new exceptions while processing just signaled one, else
you'll get infinite recursion :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: global exception handler mechanism

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

On 5 February 2018 at 10:17, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

The Sunit-Debugger does a stack search on startup to find the test related exception.

It might be good to do it better, especially as the debug process starts from the exception
I might be a good idea to actually keep a reference to it.

Would there be any downside of Exception>>debug passing a reference to the Debugger?

        Marcus

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 17:19, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to install a global handler for exceptions?
>
> Right now if I want to log all exceptions, I use approach from ShoreLine and create a PreDebugAction which is activated when any "unhandled" exception occurs.
>
> That would be good enough, however the Debugger has zero knowledge of the exception that is actually occuring, as Exception>>debug passes on only the title. So if I want to get back to the original exception and maybe log it with beacon, I need to do a lot of stack and context shenanigans:
>
> MyPreDebugAction>>logException
>       MyLogger
>               runDuring: [ (debugger session interruptedProcess suspendedContext stack
>                               detect: [ :context | context receiver isKindOf: Exception ]) receiver emit ]
>

> Is there a better way to approach this?

if you own a process (you creating it) , then it is just a piece of cake, just make a topmost block
with #on:do:
if you don't own a process (suppose you wanna watch already existing one) , it can be done by injecting own context at the bottom of stack ,
well, unless there are exception handler(s) upper, that catch any exception(s) before you can see them.

I added it in Pharo 6:

aProcess on: Error do: [:err | err logCr]

It works in both cases: when process is not started and when it is already running.
I used it to intercept errors of forked processes during test run.

It would be cool to add #ensure: in addition.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: global exception handler mechanism

Henrik Sperre Johansen
You can also override #defaultAction on Exception, and install a custom
UIManager subclass implementing unhandledErrorDefaultAction: (sent by
UnhandledError #defaultAction, receives the error as argument).

Would be nice(r) if UIManager had a defaultUnhandledErrorActionBlock:
setter, but it's not too bothersome creating a subclass.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: global exception handler mechanism

NorbertHartl

> Am 16.02.2018 um 13:38 schrieb Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]>:
>
> You can also override #defaultAction on Exception, and install a custom
> UIManager subclass implementing unhandledErrorDefaultAction: (sent by
> UnhandledError #defaultAction, receives the error as argument).
>
> Would be nice(r) if UIManager had a defaultUnhandledErrorActionBlock:
> setter, but it's not too bothersome creating a subclass.

+1

Norbert