gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

Salvador Fandino
See

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-April/000700.html

Actually no Smalltalk will be available in that version of Ubuntu as
squeak is also being removed.

- Salva

Re: gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 04/07/2010 11:01 AM, Salvador Fandino wrote:
> See
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-April/000700.html
>
> Actually no Smalltalk will be available in that version of Ubuntu as
> squeak is also being removed.

What was the rationale?

Paolo

Re: gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

Holger Freyther
On Wednesday 07 April 2010 11:18:16 Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 04/07/2010 11:01 AM, Salvador Fandino wrote:
> > See
> >
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-April/000700
> > .html
> >
> > Actually no Smalltalk will be available in that version of Ubuntu as
> > squeak is also being removed.
>
> What was the rationale?

opening the link mentions that it was un-buildable from source. I'm on lucid
and I can take the package and attempt to build it. I will also try to find
logs of their autobuilder.

Re: gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

Robert Collins
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 11:18 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 11:01 AM, Salvador Fandino wrote:
> > See
> >
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-April/000700.html
> >
> > Actually no Smalltalk will be available in that version of Ubuntu as
> > squeak is also being removed.
>
> What was the rationale?

I can't find the failed build record easily
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk is the starting
point to find such things)

3.1 hasn't been synced because its still in Debian unstable and hasn't
propogated to testing -
http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=gnu-smalltalk

The Ubuntu package is unmodified from the Debian package, so grabbing
the 3.1-2 source package from debian and testing that on Ubuntu in a PPA
would be a great step to see whether its good to get reintroduced or
not.

-Rob

On 04/07/2010 11:39 AM, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 11:18 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 04/07/2010 11:01 AM, Salvador Fandino wrote:
>>> See
>>>
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-April/000700.html
>>>
>>> Actually no Smalltalk will be available in that version of Ubuntu as
>>> squeak is also being removed.
>>
>> What was the rationale?
>
> I can't find the failed build record easily
> (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk is the starting
> point to find such things)
>
> 3.1 hasn't been synced because its still in Debian unstable and hasn't
> propogated to testing -
> http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=gnu-smalltalk

Debian unstable fails to build on some arches because of a missing
syscall, so it didn't migrate to testing.  Commit
8e15bee3ce81951e598317b9c4f2da472b78800b would be needed (only the
libgst/ and packages/sockets parts are really necessary).

Can anybody here do an NMU?

Paolo

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 11:58 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Can anybody here do an NMU?

I'd start by posting a patch to the Debian BTS; if the maintainer
doesn't respond, then an NMU can be done (and I can do that).

-Rob

On 04/07/2010 12:04 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> I'd start by posting a patch to the Debian BTS; if the maintainer
> doesn't respond, then an NMU can be done (and I can do that).

Thanks.  Here is the patch, maintainer is CCed.

Paolo

debian.patch (2K) Download Attachment

On 04/07/2010 12:07 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 12:04 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> I'd start by posting a patch to the Debian BTS; if the maintainer
>> doesn't respond, then an NMU can be done (and I can do that).
>
> Thanks. Here is the patch, maintainer is CCed.

Another problem: you need to run

sed -i 's/\. retcode/. .\/retcode/' tests/local.at tests/testsuite

(this is basically patch 3ab4dc6e) to cater for bash 4.0.

Paolo

Re: gnu smalltalk is being removed from the upcoming ubuntu release

Thomas Girard
Hello Robert,

I currently lack time and won't be able to have a look at this until
this week-end at best. Please NMU gnu-smalltalk in Debian so that it
does not get removed from Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Regards,

Thomas

On 04/07/2010 12:30 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 04/07/2010 12:07 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 04/07/2010 12:04 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> I'd start by posting a patch to the Debian BTS; if the maintainer
>>> doesn't respond, then an NMU can be done (and I can do that).
>>
>> Thanks. Here is the patch, maintainer is CCed.
>
> Another problem: you need to run
>
> sed -i 's/\. retcode/. .\/retcode/' tests/local.at tests/testsuite
>
> (this is basically patch 3ab4dc6e) to cater for bash 4.0.

Holger placed this part of the patch at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnu-smalltalk/+bug/557290

Paolo