good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

Jochen Riekhof
Hi...

Just wanted to tell you that I just read a nice article about Smalltalk in a
great german computer magazin (c't 02/2003).
It also mentiones among others the Dolphin environment. Here the experpt
(bear with me, my translation):

"The company Object Arts in Great Britain is rather a newcomer to the
market, if compared to the 30 years of Smalltalk-development. The product
Dolphin Smalltalk from this vendor is outstanding for it's fast growing
community, attractive pricing and excellent integration with Windows.
Dolphin Smalltalk sees itself as a direct competitor to Visual Basic or
Delphi and is not mainly targeting the enterprise market, but rather small
software projects and developers developing solely for the windows platform.
Dolphin Smalltalk is offered in various editions, for which evaluations are
also available at www.object-arts.com"

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

Clemens Bentzien
> Just wanted to tell you that I just read a nice article about Smalltalk in
> great german computer magazin (c't 02/2003).

In my opinion one of the best for the last years.
Actually I stopped reading this magazin, but on my
trip back from OOP 2003 fair in Munich I gave it a
try again because of the announced WikiArticle.

The Smalltalk article made me curious, my last contact
w/ smalltalk has been 15 years ago, and now I'm caught...
What did I do before? Searching for the holy grale
of programming, this language is definetely a candidate.

BUT - I wonder why I can't find development tools
dealing w/ UML. Do you know something about this issue?
Something like a Visio UML package with Dolphin's classes?

cu
Clemens

Re: good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

Jochen Riekhof-3
> In my opinion one of the best for the last years.

Agreed!

>BUT - I wonder why I can't find development tools
>dealing w/ UML. Do you know something about this issue?

UML is not present in the Dolphin-landscape yet AFAIK. Sometimes when
looking for Java-UML tools I saw Smalltalk mentioned under supported
languages (some time ago). Also I heard that VisualAge ST has something
built in.

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

Clemens Bentzien
> [...] Also I heard that VisualAge ST has something built in.

Thanks a lot. I tried it, but VAST is a real fat lady,
and a bit overwhelming for a ST beginner I think.
And from it's look and feel it seems somewhat dated.

Tschüss
Clemens

Re: good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

jtuchel
Clemens,

You are certainly right that VAST is quite heavy compared to Dolphin.
But you also get some stuff that's not available for Dolphin. The
question is if you really need envy, CICS Connection and the like.

I think VA ST is quite suitable for beginners, but not for self
studying, you need guidance. So maybe it's best to follow your feelings
and start using Dolphin. It's a great environment and you get a lot for
your bucks.

Joe

Clemens Bentzien schrieb:

>>[...] Also I heard that VisualAge ST has something built in.
>

> Thanks a lot. I tried it, but VAST is a real fat lady,
> and a bit overwhelming for a ST beginner I think.
> And from it's look and feel it seems somewhat dated.
>
> Tschüss
> Clemens

Re: good article about smalltalk in german computer magazine

tgkuo
Steve's SW Scheme is a good stuff, worthy of integrated inside, as an
application-oriented shell-like goodies ( something like SmallInt browser,
Profile Browser or Prolog in Smalltalk/V etc). It would add more enhanced
and limitless logic and inference power to Dolphin..

Hope is priceless.

Best regards.
Tsun-kuo Kuo