good news of the year

123

good news of the year

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi all

We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
igor would do.
Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.

Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
stream.

Stef

-- Set nil
-- Hashed Collection
        --  dictionary are slower
        --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:

-- WeakStructure
-- Finalizer
-- Chapter on Finalizer

-- Better integration process

-- EventSensor
        polling
        - publish a windows VM that support it

-- ClassBuilder rewrite

-- Helping improving the VM
        - cleaner code

-- Cleaning events/annoucement
        check CUIS
        on:send:
        changed:/update

-- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
        sync with Cyrille
        review with Cyrille

-- Using RPackage in Monticello
        sync with cyrille

-- iSqueak New event hierarchy
        Alain imported that
        Multitouch?

-- New compiler
        -- debug
        -- Decompiler IR -> AST
        -- Cleanups
        -- API
        -- Environment

-- ROME API
        - API stablisation: openVG
        - system rewrite to use API

-- Ephemerons ??

-- Announcement with weak structure

-- Networks
        - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
        - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

onierstrasz

+1 !!!

On 11 Dec 2010, at 10:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
> igor would do.
> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>
> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
> stream.
>
> Stef
>
> -- Set nil
> -- Hashed Collection
> --  dictionary are slower
> --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>
> -- WeakStructure
> -- Finalizer
> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>
> -- Better integration process
>
> -- EventSensor
> polling
> - publish a windows VM that support it
>
> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>
> -- Helping improving the VM
> - cleaner code
>
> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
> check CUIS
> on:send:
> changed:/update
>
> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
> sync with Cyrille
> review with Cyrille
>
> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
> sync with cyrille
>
> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
> Alain imported that
> Multitouch?
>
> -- New compiler
> -- debug
> -- Decompiler IR -> AST
> -- Cleanups
> -- API
> -- Environment
>
> -- ROME API
> - API stablisation: openVG
> - system rewrite to use API
>
> -- Ephemerons ??
>
> -- Announcement with weak structure
>
> -- Networks
> - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
> - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is awesome. Not only for the Pharo point of view, but it means that an important institute like INRIA has really interest in Pharo, and this is so cool.

Adrian, we should post it in the pharo blog.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

EstebanLM
He, I was about to say "congratulations to Igor", but I better say "congratulations to all us, the pharoers, for having Igor as a full time engineer"

Cheers,
Esteban

El 11/12/2010, a las 8:31a.m., Oscar Nierstrasz escribió:

> +1 !!!
>
> On 11 Dec 2010, at 10:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
>> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
>> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
>> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
>> igor would do.
>> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>>
>> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
>> stream.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> -- Set nil
>> -- Hashed Collection
>> --  dictionary are slower
>> --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>>
>> -- WeakStructure
>> -- Finalizer
>> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>>
>> -- Better integration process
>>
>> -- EventSensor
>> polling
>> - publish a windows VM that support it
>>
>> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>>
>> -- Helping improving the VM
>> - cleaner code
>>
>> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
>> check CUIS
>> on:send:
>> changed:/update
>>
>> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
>> sync with Cyrille
>> review with Cyrille
>>
>> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
>> sync with cyrille
>>
>> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
>> Alain imported that
>> Multitouch?
>>
>> -- New compiler
>> -- debug
>> -- Decompiler IR -> AST
>> -- Cleanups
>> -- API
>> -- Environment
>>
>> -- ROME API
>> - API stablisation: openVG
>> - system rewrite to use API
>>
>> -- Ephemerons ??
>>
>> -- Announcement with weak structure
>>
>> -- Networks
>> - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
>> - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

garduino
Yes, indeed very very good news!

Congrats Igor, of course, but a big thanks to INRIA for invest in Smalltalk!

2010/12/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

> He, I was about to say "congratulations to Igor", but I better say "congratulations to all us, the pharoers, for having Igor as a full time engineer"
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>
> El 11/12/2010, a las 8:31a.m., Oscar Nierstrasz escribió:
>

>> +1 !!!
>>
>> On 11 Dec 2010, at 10:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
>>> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
>>> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
>>> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
>>> igor would do.
>>> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>>>
>>> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
>>> stream.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> -- Set nil
>>> -- Hashed Collection
>>>      --  dictionary are slower
>>>      --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>>>
>>> -- WeakStructure
>>> -- Finalizer
>>> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>>>
>>> -- Better integration process
>>>
>>> -- EventSensor
>>>      polling
>>>      - publish a windows VM that support it
>>>
>>> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>>>
>>> -- Helping improving the VM
>>>      - cleaner code
>>>
>>> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
>>>      check CUIS
>>>      on:send:
>>>      changed:/update
>>>
>>> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
>>>      sync with Cyrille
>>>      review with Cyrille
>>>
>>> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
>>>      sync with cyrille
>>>
>>> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
>>>      Alain imported that
>>>      Multitouch?
>>>
>>> -- New compiler
>>>      -- debug
>>>      -- Decompiler IR -> AST
>>>      -- Cleanups
>>>      -- API
>>>      -- Environment
>>>
>>> -- ROME API
>>>      - API stablisation: openVG
>>>      - system rewrite to use API
>>>
>>> -- Ephemerons ??
>>>
>>> -- Announcement with weak structure
>>>
>>> -- Networks
>>>      - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
>>>      - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

Luc Fabresse
Really nice!

#Luc

2010/12/11 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>
Yes, indeed very very good news!

Congrats Igor, of course, but a big thanks to INRIA for invest in Smalltalk!

2010/12/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
> He, I was about to say "congratulations to Igor", but I better say "congratulations to all us, the pharoers, for having Igor as a full time engineer"
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>
> El 11/12/2010, a las 8:31a.m., Oscar Nierstrasz escribió:
>

>> +1 !!!
>>
>> On 11 Dec 2010, at 10:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
>>> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
>>> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
>>> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
>>> igor would do.
>>> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>>>
>>> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
>>> stream.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> -- Set nil
>>> -- Hashed Collection
>>>      --  dictionary are slower
>>>      --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>>>
>>> -- WeakStructure
>>> -- Finalizer
>>> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>>>
>>> -- Better integration process
>>>
>>> -- EventSensor
>>>      polling
>>>      - publish a windows VM that support it
>>>
>>> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>>>
>>> -- Helping improving the VM
>>>      - cleaner code
>>>
>>> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
>>>      check CUIS
>>>      on:send:
>>>      changed:/update
>>>
>>> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
>>>      sync with Cyrille
>>>      review with Cyrille
>>>
>>> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
>>>      sync with cyrille
>>>
>>> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
>>>      Alain imported that
>>>      Multitouch?
>>>
>>> -- New compiler
>>>      -- debug
>>>      -- Decompiler IR -> AST
>>>      -- Cleanups
>>>      -- API
>>>      -- Environment
>>>
>>> -- ROME API
>>>      - API stablisation: openVG
>>>      - system rewrite to use API
>>>
>>> -- Ephemerons ??
>>>
>>> -- Announcement with weak structure
>>>
>>> -- Networks
>>>      - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
>>>      - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

Nicolas Cellier
Bravo l'INRIA, very good choice !

Nicolas

2010/12/11 Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>:

> Really nice!
> #Luc
>

> 2010/12/11 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Yes, indeed very very good news!
>>
>> Congrats Igor, of course, but a big thanks to INRIA for invest in
>> Smalltalk!
>>

>> 2010/12/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>> > He, I was about to say "congratulations to Igor", but I better say
>> > "congratulations to all us, the pharoers, for having Igor as a full time
>> > engineer"
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Esteban

Re: good news of the year

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+1 on thanks to INRIA and congratulations to Igor.  One suggestion I'd like to add: while he is cleaning the VM code, it would be nice to work toward having a path for information on failures to reach the outside world in some way.  Can't load a library?  Where did you look for it?  We can't anticipate everything somebody might want to know, but the status quo is to report nothing and we can do better, especially when the VM translates parameters from the image before using them.

On Linux, not every library is a plugin.  IIRC, the blurring of that distinction is mostly in the minds of the community, but the occasional .so for number crunching, creating graphics or hardware interfacing needs a home too.

Congrats Igor, of course, but a big thanks to INRIA for invest in Smalltalk!

2010/12/11 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

> He, I was about to say "congratulations to Igor", but I better say "congratulations to all us, the pharoers, for having Igor as a full time engineer"
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>
> El 11/12/2010, a las 8:31a.m., Oscar Nierstrasz escribió:
>

>> +1 !!!
>>
>> On 11 Dec 2010, at 10:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
>>> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
>>> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
>>> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
>>> igor would do.
>>> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>>>
>>> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
>>> stream.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> -- Set nil
>>> -- Hashed Collection
>>>      --  dictionary are slower
>>>      --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>>>
>>> -- WeakStructure
>>> -- Finalizer
>>> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>>>
>>> -- Better integration process
>>>
>>> -- EventSensor
>>>      polling
>>>      - publish a windows VM that support it
>>>
>>> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>>>
>>> -- Helping improving the VM
>>>      - cleaner code
>>>
>>> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
>>>      check CUIS
>>>      on:send:
>>>      changed:/update
>>>
>>> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
>>>      sync with Cyrille
>>>      review with Cyrille
>>>
>>> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
>>>      sync with cyrille
>>>
>>> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
>>>      Alain imported that
>>>      Multitouch?
>>>
>>> -- New compiler
>>>      -- debug
>>>      -- Decompiler IR -> AST
>>>      -- Cleanups
>>>      -- API
>>>      -- Environment
>>>
>>> -- ROME API
>>>      - API stablisation: openVG
>>>      - system rewrite to use API
>>>
>>> -- Ephemerons ??
>>>
>>> -- Announcement with weak structure
>>>
>>> -- Networks
>>>      - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
>>>      - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Re: good news of the year

Igor Stasenko
Thanks everyone.

I had very warm and friendly greeting here in Lille. And atmosphere is
very cool (everyone around you using pharo).
I am a full of enthusiasm and energy to put in Pharo, as never before. ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: good news of the year

Miguel Cobá
Great new for the Pharo community and for Igor too.

This means that the next year will be a very good for Pharo.

Thanks to Stephane for pushing this on the INRIA and thanks to INRIA for
trusting in Pharo.

Cheers

El sáb, 11-12-2010 a las 10:46 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> Hi all
>
> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
> igor would do.
> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>
> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
> stream.
>
> Stef
>
> -- Set nil
> -- Hashed Collection
> --  dictionary are slower
> --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>
> -- WeakStructure
> -- Finalizer
> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>
> -- Better integration process
>
> -- EventSensor
> polling
> - publish a windows VM that support it
>
> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>
> -- Helping improving the VM
> - cleaner code
>
> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
> check CUIS
> on:send:
> changed:/update
>
> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
> sync with Cyrille
> review with Cyrille
>
> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
> sync with cyrille
>
> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
> Alain imported that
> Multitouch?
>
> -- New compiler
> -- debug
> -- Decompiler IR -> AST
> -- Cleanups
> -- API
> -- Environment
>
> -- ROME API
> - API stablisation: openVG
> - system rewrite to use API
>
> -- Ephemerons ??
>
> -- Announcement with weak structure
>
> -- Networks
> - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
> - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: good news of the year

On Dec 11, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> I had very warm and friendly greeting here in Lille. And atmosphere is
> very cool (everyone around you using pharo).
> I am a full of enthusiasm and energy to put in Pharo, as never before. ;)

;)
excellent!
and I will make more time to pair program :)

Re: good news of the year

Alexandre Bergel
Really cool!

Alexandre

On 11 Dec 2010, at 06:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We have a really good news for pharo. Igor got a job as engineer in our team for two years.
> We are really thankful to INRIA for that. Since we want to be transparent here is the way we plan to work.
> We asked igor to help fixing bug fixes for about 20% of his time.
> And to focus on larger items. Here is a list based on the brainstorming we did and what we told INRIA
> igor would do.
> Now if you want to help and join effort with us this is even better.
>
> Now igor started to work on OPAL because we would like to have it for a beta in january, when we will get a new unstable
> stream.
>
> Stef
>
> -- Set nil
> -- Hashed Collection
> --  dictionary are slower
> --  Generalize stream protocol #readInto:startingAt:count:
>
> -- WeakStructure
> -- Finalizer
> -- Chapter on Finalizer
>
> -- Better integration process
>
> -- EventSensor
> polling
> - publish a windows VM that support it
>
> -- ClassBuilder rewrite
>
> -- Helping improving the VM
> - cleaner code
>
> -- Cleaning events/annoucement
> check CUIS
> on:send:
> changed:/update
>
> -- SystemChangeNotification -> announcement
> sync with Cyrille
> review with Cyrille
>
> -- Using RPackage in Monticello
> sync with cyrille
>
> -- iSqueak New event hierarchy
> Alain imported that
> Multitouch?
>
> -- New compiler
> -- debug
> -- Decompiler IR -> AST
> -- Cleanups
> -- API
> -- Environment
>
> -- ROME API
> - API stablisation: openVG
> - system rewrite to use API
>
> -- Ephemerons ??
>
> -- Announcement with weak structure
>
> -- Networks
> - may be use WeakFinalizer here.
> - looking at Andreas fixes in Squeak

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: good news of the year

Igor Stasenko
On 11 December 2010 18:57, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone.
>>
>> I had very warm and friendly greeting here in Lille. And atmosphere is
>> very cool (everyone around you using pharo).
>> I am a full of enthusiasm and energy to put in Pharo, as never before. ;)
>
> ;)
> excellent!
> and I will make more time to pair program :)

:)

Oh, i think we missed on VERY important thing we should also pay attention:

good internationalization support throughout all the system layers,
which includes:
- input/output
- locales

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: good news of the year

csrabak
Yes! +1!

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: good news of the year

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Very exciting!  Good luck & congrats, Igor.  I can't wait to bask in all the improvements :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: good news of the year

Tudor Girba
+1

Doru

On 11 Dec 2010, at 20:34, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Very exciting!  Good luck & congrats, Igor.  I can't wait to bask in all the
> improvements :)
>
> Sean

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: good news of the year

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Yay! Congrats to Igor, and Pharo! :-)

Peter

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:18 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Doru

On 11 Dec 2010, at 20:34, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Very exciting!  Good luck & congrats, Igor.  I can't wait to bask in all the
> improvements :)
>
> Sean

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: good news of the year

Göran Krampe
Hi Igor and all!

My warmest congratulations to you Igor and the rest of the team over
there in Lille, and I hope to see you again!

regards, Göran

Re: good news of the year

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Welcome Igor to the North of France :-)