google api communication

Sylvain pralon

Hello,

I need to interrogate the google search api and I do not manage to do it.

I need to do it from a local application and not from a web application.

Is there somebody here who have done something like that.

Thanks a lot

Sylvain pralon

Re: google api communication

jarober
I have, and the code is part of BottomFeeder.  However - you can't
get a key from Google anymore, so new applications using that API
aren't possible anymore...

At 01:00 PM 3/26/2007, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need to interrogate the google search api and I do not manage to do it.
>I need to do it from a local application and not from a web application.
>Is there somebody here who have done something like that.
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Sylvain pralon

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Re: google api communication

OCIT
sort of like liquor licenses in some places, soon I expect people will
start selling their Google keys

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:06:25 -0500, James Robertson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have, and the code is part of BottomFeeder.  However - you can't get a
> key from Google anymore, so new applications using that API aren't
> possible anymore...
>
> At 01:00 PM 3/26/2007, you wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to interrogate the google search api and I do not manage to do
>> it.
>> I need to do it from a local application and not from a web application.
>> Is there somebody here who have done something like that.
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> Sylvain pralon
>>

> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

RE: google api communication

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
And you can't scrape it either, basically the only thing you can do is
embed it in your pages,

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56502&topic=10021

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Mark Roberts
At 02:00 AM 3/27/2007, Sylvain Pralon wrote:
>I need to interrogate the google search api and I do not manage to do it.
>I need to do it from a local application and not from a web application.

You don't need to scrape HTML because Google provides a web services API.

You can talk to that API using the VisualWorks Web Services framework.

Some example code is provided in the Web Service Developer's Guide:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/documentation/vw7.4.1/WebServices.pdf

In particular, see the discussion of "Building a SOAP Request using a
WSDL Schema".

Also, Jim Robertson has made a screencast that shows how to do this:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/casts/stDaily/2006/smalltalk_daily-12-1-06.html

HTH,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

Re: google api communication

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: google api communication

Except google discontinued the api program and now only support ajax and explicitly disallow scraping of results, so you're pretty much limited to embedding the search into a webpage. I believe they let people with existing keys use api for a bit, but I doubt it will be for very long.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)