gsDevKitHome considerations

GLASS mailing list
Ciao,

    i have a gsDevKitHome 3.1.0.6 deployment server system ( configured in April 2015 ).

    Now i working to create a new installation of gsDevKitHome 3.1.0.6,

    on  new Ubuntu 13.04.03 LTS desktop system.

    This for manage and testing the new implementations,

     and for will ready if the server have problem.

    After cloning the repository i found errors as reported into email :

            gsDevKitHome installServer error

    Now i /GsDevKit_home       git repository

    and if i right understand the project is ready for release in the next weeks.

    Questions:

            a) What will do for update the deployment system ?

             b) I need to update the repository or only the Tode program ?

    Thanks for any considerations,

        Dario

Re: gsDevKitHome considerations

GLASS mailing list

On 09/29/2015 04:23 AM, [hidden email] via Glass wrote:
Ciao,

    Now i /GsDevKit_home       git repository

    and if i right understand the project is ready for release in the next weeks.
Not quite ready for release - shooting for November for release --- I'm probably a day or so away from having the scripts and minimal documentation ready for early adopters ...

    Questions:

            a) What will do for update the deployment system ?
GsDevKit_home is an overhaul of the basic scripts ... the functionality is pretty much the same, but I've reorganized/renamed the scripts and reduced the number of script and hopefully made things clearer:

  createStone
  startStone
  stopStone
  deleteStone

  createClient
  startClient
  deleteClient

A client can be installed without the "server modules" and clients can be gemtools, jade, or tode (only tODE is fully functional at the moment). The client scripts will run on mac, linux, or windows (using a bash shell from Github Desktop for windows)...

For both the server and client modules I am expecting that the core GsDevKit repositories will be cloned to local disk (I have a script for this) ... if you already have local clones for these repos (Metacello, FileTree, GLASS1, Tode, RB, Ston) it should be straightforward to swap them in ... of course the documentation for this has not been written yet:) but I am attempting to structure things to make it straightforward ..

             b) I need to update the repository or only the Tode program ?

today I plan to work on an `attachServer` script that will allow one to use the the "client modules" and/or "server modules" with an existing stone ... With GsDevKit_home I have made a few minor changes to the disk structure relative the GsDevKitHome on the dev branch ... so I expect to be able to automate the attachment process (thanks to Mariano for being a pioneer in this area ... Most of the significant changes in tODE[1] have been made on the client, but there are some changes that will probably need to be in the server as well, so a tODE update is probably required.

I will send mail on this list when I think things are ready for folks to try it out on an experimental basis and kick the tires.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/compare/dev...dev_dev