[gsoc] Advances in Code Quality

Myroslava Romaniuk
Hello,

I'm Myroslava and I'm studying Computer Science at the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv. As part of my Google Summer of Code project I'm going to work on the quality of code in Pharo. This is my proposal draft, and I would really appreciate some feedback, comments, suggestions and so on.

Thanks!

Re: [gsoc] Advances in Code Quality

Jigyasa Grover

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Hi Myroslava

I'm Myroslava and I'm studying Computer Science at the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv. As part of my Google Summer of Code project I'm going to work on the quality of code in Pharo. This is my proposal draft, and I would really appreciate some feedback, comments, suggestions and so on.

Great to have your proposal, submit it as draft at https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/ for review and feedback.

Best of luck !

Best
Jigyasa Grover
GSoC 2017 Org Admin, Pharo Consortium

Thanks!

Re: [gsoc] Advances in Code Quality

Stephane Ducasse-3
This is a super topic.
What would be good is to check the smart suggestions because they need more love.

Stef

Thanks!

Re: [gsoc] Advances in Code Quality

Uko2
Hey Guille!

Now I’m interested :) Can you explain a bit more? Because there are already some autofix suggestions. What exactly do you suggest? Is selected ast node something a rule detects or is it selected by a user?

Cheers.
Uko

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Guille!

Now I’m interested :) Can you explain a bit more? Because there are already some autofix suggestions. What exactly do you suggest? Is selected ast node something a rule detects or is it selected by a user?

What I mean by suggestions is the "smart suggestions" tool. The one that gives you a contextual menu given the selected AST in the code. Smart suggestions already allow you to show some actions given an AST node. It is used to show so far some meta-links (breakpoints, watchers), refactorings (targetting the specified node), and code navigation (senders, implementors).

It would be nice because from the text editor you can access the suggestions with (ctrl | cmd) + t. I did not see an already existing integration of renraku with this, but maybe there is.

[...]

Ah, now I understand.

So there are already inline critiques support where I highlight text and provide information on the side bar. Doing the smart suggestions won’t be super hard, because I have some critiques that know the exact node that violates the rule and can have a replacement node. So yes, the would be a nice extension.

Uko