gst-browser on Ubuntu/Debian dlopening the library

gst-browser on Ubuntu/Debian dlopening the library

Holger Freyther
Dear Paolo,

VisualGST can only load on Debian/Ubuntu when the -dev packages of Gtk
are installed. A dlopen of "libgtk-x11-2.0" and "libgtk-x11-2.0.so" will
not lead to open the library. The only working way is "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0".

This means that currently the calls we have in libs.def for the GTK
package will not result in a working VisualGST. In fact the gir files
of GTK also specify that one should use libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.

Do you have an idea on how that could be solved?

kind regards
        holger

Re: gst-browser on Ubuntu/Debian dlopening the library

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 17/08/2013 09:42, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:

> Dear Paolo,
>
> VisualGST can only load on Debian/Ubuntu when the -dev packages of Gtk
> are installed. A dlopen of "libgtk-x11-2.0" and "libgtk-x11-2.0.so" will
> not lead to open the library. The only working way is "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0".
>
> This means that currently the calls we have in libs.def for the GTK
> package will not result in a working VisualGST. In fact the gir files
> of GTK also specify that one should use libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.
>
> Do you have an idea on how that could be solved?

The Debian package is supposed to provide the proper symbolic links from
*.so to *.so.VERSION, in a directory that is private to GNU Smalltalk
(maybe the modules directory?  I don't remember).

Paolo

Re: gst-browser on Ubuntu/Debian dlopening the library

Holger Freyther

> On 18 Aug 2013, at 15:30, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Do you have an idea on how that could be solved?
>
> The Debian package is supposed to provide the proper symbolic links from
> *.so to *.so.VERSION, in a directory that is private to GNU Smalltalk
> (maybe the modules directory?  I don't remember).

It should but doesn't do that AFAIK.

holger