gui painter - table question

Roelof
Hello,

I thought I could make a 4 x 4 table with the gui painter and then the
table button.
But I see nowwhere where I can tell how many colums and rows I want.

Can anyone tell me this ?

Roelof

Re: gui painter - table question

Joachim Geidel
Roelof,

working with tables is explained in the GUI Developers Guide, page 9-89, chapter „Configuring Widgets“, section „Tables“. There is also a code example.

Joachim

Am 19.04.2014 um 08:51 schrieb Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I thought I could make a 4 x 4 table with the gui painter and then the table button.
> But I see nowwhere where I can tell how many colums and rows I want.
>
> Can anyone tell me this ?
>
> Roelof

Re: gui painter - table question

Roelof
Thanks.

Still a few things that are not clear to me.

1) At point 5 (Create an initializemethod to initialize the
TableInterface.) . I have to do this into the class browser ?

2) How can I put the contents of my array grid into the table.

3)  Can I somehow change the background color of a cell based on the
contents of the cell.

Roelof

Joachim Geidel schreef op 19-4-2014 9:39:

> Roelof,
>
> working with tables is explained in the GUI Developers Guide, page 9-89, chapter „Configuring Widgets“, section „Tables“. There is also a code example.
>
> Joachim
>
> Am 19.04.2014 um 08:51 schrieb Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I thought I could make a 4 x 4 table with the gui painter and then the table button.
>> But I see nowwhere where I can tell how many colums and rows I want.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me this ?
>>
>> Roelof

Re: gui painter - table question

Paul Baumann

>> 1) At point 5 (Create an initializemethod to initialize the
>> TableInterface.) . I have to do this into the class browser ?

It would be initialization by the ApplicationModel subclass that is defining the windowSpec. Common methods to override for configuration would be #initialize, #postBuildWith:, or #postOpenWith:. A common way is to use lazy-initialization to avoid having to think about initialization sequence. Look at code that references TableInterface for ideas.

The last time I tried using a table widget was eight years ago. I think I'd discovered it wasn't flexible enough to do what I needed so I converted code of that window to use a dataset instead. None of the code that I maintain uses a table, but datasets are used everywhere. Perhaps a table is exactly what you need, but it is a widget option that I no longer even notice and I never knew of a benefit for using a table.

>> 2) How can I put the contents of my array grid into the table.

I presume that you'd use an IndexedAdaptor as aspect model of each column.

>> 3)  Can I somehow change the background color of a cell based on the contents of the cell.

I don't think there is an common way to do cell-level color configuration. I had modified DataSet* classes to be able do that. I shared those changes with this forum on 2012.11.09 in hope that Cincom might use it or create their own way to do it. I recall James Robertson had responded that he had also made modifications to add fuctionality like that. With any luck the functionality is now part of newer releases, but I doubt that is the case.

A dataSet (or table) is overkill for what it sounds like you are attempting. If you need cell-level display control and you aren't likely to vary from a 4x4 grid then it is probably better to position 16 widgets in a grid pattern. You'd have more control over each cell/widget than you would have with a cell that is deep in generic table or dataset code.

Paul Baumann

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.