happy new ... focus

Tudor Girba
First of all, a long overdue: Happy New Year! :)

I would like to start the new year with a call to focus and collaboration. The idea is simple: I would like us to work together more explicitly around defined projects.

So, let me start. Here are some projects I would propose:
- Enhanced Glamour rendering - I need help here, especially in the Morphic rendering part
- Editor for Fame meta-models
- FameDB - database persistency for fame meta-described objects (Alberto is already interested in this)
- Editor for Mondrian graphs
- Strong JNIPort connection to Eclipse and VerveineJ - Cyrille already has a project in this area
- More Petit parsers - Fabrizio started one for SQL and JSP, and Alberto started one for Java
- Tight integration of Moose analyses in the PharoIDE - I already started the Glamorous Toolkit project and I would like to continue
- PetitParser-based text editor to support fine-grained control over different tokens
- Meta-annotations (Metanool)
- Charting engine (EyeSee)
- Mondrian interaction based on Glamour

What are your projects? Let's share them and identify collaborations.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: happy new ... focus

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes this is a good list
Good initiative

On Jan 15, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> First of all, a long overdue: Happy New Year! :)
>
> I would like to start the new year with a call to focus and collaboration. The idea is simple: I would like us to work together more explicitly around defined projects.
>
> So, let me start. Here are some projects I would propose:
> - Enhanced Glamour rendering - I need help here, especially in the Morphic rendering part
> - Editor for Fame meta-models
> - FameDB - database persistency for fame meta-described objects (Alberto is already interested in this)
> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
> - Strong JNIPort connection to Eclipse and VerveineJ - Cyrille already has a project in this area
> - More Petit parsers - Fabrizio started one for SQL and JSP, and Alberto started one for Java
> - Tight integration of Moose analyses in the PharoIDE - I already started the Glamorous Toolkit project and I would like to continue
> - PetitParser-based text editor to support fine-grained control over different tokens
> - Meta-annotations (Metanool)
> - Charting engine (EyeSee)

I should discuss with igor for the rome work.

> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>
> What are your projects? Let's share them and identify collaborations.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: happy new ... focus

Alexandre Bergel
Hi!

Excellent initiative

> So, let me start. Here are some projects I would propose:
> - Enhanced Glamour rendering - I need help here, especially in the Morphic rendering part
> - Editor for Fame meta-models
> - FameDB - database persistency for fame meta-described objects (Alberto is already interested in this)
> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
> - Strong JNIPort connection to Eclipse and VerveineJ - Cyrille already has a project in this area
> - More Petit parsers - Fabrizio started one for SQL and JSP, and Alberto started one for Java
> - Tight integration of Moose analyses in the PharoIDE - I already started the Glamorous Toolkit project and I would like to continue
> - PetitParser-based text editor to support fine-grained control over different tokens
> - Meta-annotations (Metanool)
> - Charting engine (EyeSee)
> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>
> What are your projects? Let's share them and identify collaborations.

Together with Eduardo, we've been working on
  - a SVG and TikZ exporter for Mondrian
  - A new force-based layout which produce nice results. I will release it in a couple of days

With Vanessa, we've been working on
  - cool visualizations to assess the test coverage
  - increasing the coverage of Merlin and Mondrian

With Vanessa, we plan to extend the test coverage of Moose in general. We need this for some papers.

Eduardo will have 1,5 week to work on a short and cool project.
Doru, what do you mean with:
> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour

Eduardo can work on this:
> - Editor for Mondrian graphs

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: happy new ... focus

jannik laval
Hi !

2 things for me:
- pushing Orion
- have a updating system to match model with source-code.

Jannik

On Jan 15, 2011, at 20:29 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Excellent initiative
>
>> So, let me start. Here are some projects I would propose:
>> - Enhanced Glamour rendering - I need help here, especially in the Morphic rendering part
>> - Editor for Fame meta-models
>> - FameDB - database persistency for fame meta-described objects (Alberto is already interested in this)
>> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
>> - Strong JNIPort connection to Eclipse and VerveineJ - Cyrille already has a project in this area
>> - More Petit parsers - Fabrizio started one for SQL and JSP, and Alberto started one for Java
>> - Tight integration of Moose analyses in the PharoIDE - I already started the Glamorous Toolkit project and I would like to continue
>> - PetitParser-based text editor to support fine-grained control over different tokens
>> - Meta-annotations (Metanool)
>> - Charting engine (EyeSee)
>> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>>
>> What are your projects? Let's share them and identify collaborations.
>
> Together with Eduardo, we've been working on
>  - a SVG and TikZ exporter for Mondrian
>  - A new force-based layout which produce nice results. I will release it in a couple of days
>
> With Vanessa, we've been working on
>  - cool visualizations to assess the test coverage
>  - increasing the coverage of Merlin and Mondrian
>
> With Vanessa, we plan to extend the test coverage of Moose in general. We need this for some papers.
>
> Eduardo will have 1,5 week to work on a short and cool project.
> Doru, what do you mean with:
>> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>

> Eduardo can work on this:
>> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
>

> Cheers,
> Alexandre

---
Jannik Laval

Re: happy new ... focus

Alexandre Bergel
> - have a updating system to match model with source-code.

Can you say 2 sentences about it?

Alexandre

On 15 Jan 2011, at 20:29, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Excellent initiative
>
>> So, let me start. Here are some projects I would propose:
>> - Enhanced Glamour rendering - I need help here, especially in the Morphic rendering part
>> - Editor for Fame meta-models
>> - FameDB - database persistency for fame meta-described objects (Alberto is already interested in this)
>> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
>> - Strong JNIPort connection to Eclipse and VerveineJ - Cyrille already has a project in this area
>> - More Petit parsers - Fabrizio started one for SQL and JSP, and Alberto started one for Java
>> - Tight integration of Moose analyses in the PharoIDE - I already started the Glamorous Toolkit project and I would like to continue
>> - PetitParser-based text editor to support fine-grained control over different tokens
>> - Meta-annotations (Metanool)
>> - Charting engine (EyeSee)
>> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>>
>> What are your projects? Let's share them and identify collaborations.
>
> Together with Eduardo, we've been working on
>  - a SVG and TikZ exporter for Mondrian
>  - A new force-based layout which produce nice results. I will release it in a couple of days

I am looking forward to see this in action :)

> With Vanessa, we've been working on
>  - cool visualizations to assess the test coverage
>  - increasing the coverage of Merlin and Mondrian
>
> With Vanessa, we plan to extend the test coverage of Moose in general. We need this for some papers.
>
> Eduardo will have 1,5 week to work on a short and cool project.
> Doru, what do you mean with:
>> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour

It's basically like we discussed before. Glamour defines an engine for manipulating interaction and data flow. Thus, it would be interesting to look into using it for having complex interactions in Mondrian:
- the Mondrian edges and nodes should be Glamour panes
- the shapes should be presentations

> Eduardo can work on this:
>> - Editor for Mondrian graphs

That would be cool.

Cheers,
Doru

> Cheers,
> Alexandre

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: happy new ... focus

Alexandre Bergel
>> Together with Eduardo, we've been working on
>> - a SVG and TikZ exporter for Mondrian
>> - A new force-based layout which produce nice results. I will release it in a couple of days
>
> I am looking forward to see this in action :)

:-)

>> With Vanessa, we've been working on
>> - cool visualizations to assess the test coverage
>> - increasing the coverage of Merlin and Mondrian
>>
>> With Vanessa, we plan to extend the test coverage of Moose in general. We need this for some papers.
>>
>> Eduardo will have 1,5 week to work on a short and cool project.
>> Doru, what do you mean with:
>>> - Mondrian interaction based on Glamour
>
> It's basically like we discussed before. Glamour defines an engine for manipulating interaction and data flow. Thus, it would be interesting to look into using it for having complex interactions in Mondrian:
> - the Mondrian edges and nodes should be Glamour panes
> - the shapes should be presentations

Yep!

>> Eduardo can work on this:
>>> - Editor for Mondrian graphs
>
> That would be cool.

He will work on this then

> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Excellente quote!

On Jan 16, 2011, at 23:04 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> - have a updating system to match model with source-code.
>
> Can you say 2 sentences about it?

Sure,
For now it is only an idea.
But I think it will be interesting to have a model which update with the source code is really interesting in case of reengineering. Like that we can see evolution in real time.
The idea is to use Orion, to have a story of changes.

Jannik

> Alexandre
>

>> Jannik
>>
>> On Jan 15, 2011, at 20:29 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Excellent initiative

>>> Together with Eduardo, we've been working on
>>> - a SVG and TikZ exporter for Mondrian
>>> - A new force-based layout which produce nice results. I will release it in a couple of days
>>>
>>> With Vanessa, we've been working on
>>> - cool visualizations to assess the test coverage
>>> - increasing the coverage of Merlin and Mondrian
>>>
>>> With Vanessa, we plan to extend the test coverage of Moose in general. We need this for some papers.
>>>
>>> Eduardo will have 1,5 week to work on a short and cool project.
>>> Doru, what do you mean with:
>>>

>>> Eduardo can work on this:
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>>
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

---
Jannik Laval

Re: happy new ... focus

Alexandre Bergel
> But I think it will be interesting to have a model which update with the source code is really interesting in case of reengineering. Like that we can see evolution in real time.
> The idea is to use Orion, to have a story of changes.

Ok, I see. To have a kind of an active bridge between a moose model and the source code in Pharo. That would indeed be useful. At each modification of the code, reimporting everything is painful.

Alexandre

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> ---
> Jannik Laval

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: happy new ... focus

jannik laval
Iep, that is the idea :)

Jannik

On Jan 17, 2011, at 13:48 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> But I think it will be interesting to have a model which update with the source code is really interesting in case of reengineering. Like that we can see evolution in real time.
>> The idea is to use Orion, to have a story of changes.
>
> Ok, I see. To have a kind of an active bridge between a moose model and the source code in Pharo. That would indeed be useful. At each modification of the code, reimporting everything is painful.
>
> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

---
Jannik Laval

Re: happy new ... focus

Nicolas Anquetil

> >> But I think it will be interesting to have a model which update
> >> with the source code is really interesting in case of
> >> reengineering. Like that we can see evolution in real time.
> >> The idea is to use Orion, to have a story of changes.
> >
> > Ok, I see. To have a kind of an active bridge between a moose model
> > and the source code in Pharo. That would indeed be useful. At each
> > modification of the code, reimporting everything is painful.

JDT does that in Eclipse for Java projects.
And of course VerveineJ is based on JDT, ...
;-)

I think Moose focuses a lot on source code and forget a bit the environnement:

- configuration management
  Veronica is working on this

- tests
  Alex and Vanessa

- Database and persistency tools

- but may be also less technical things: models (as in UML models, not meta-models), documents, people, ...

- maybe dynamic information too

And all this nicely packaged in an easy-to-use plugin system (yeck :-( )

Re: happy new ... focus

Tudor Girba
Hi,

On 18 Jan 2011, at 13:44, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

>>> Ok, I see. To have a kind of an active bridge between a moose model
>>> and the source code in Pharo. That would indeed be useful. At each
>>> modification of the code, reimporting everything is painful.
>
> JDT does that in Eclipse for Java projects.
> And of course VerveineJ is based on JDT, ...
> ;-)

> I think Moose focuses a lot on source code and forget a bit the environnement:
>
> - configuration management
>  Veronica is working on this
>
> - tests
>  Alex and Vanessa
>
> - Database and persistency tools

This is what FameDB should be about.

> - but may be also less technical things: models (as in UML models, not meta-models), documents, people, ...

Here, it would be great to have translators from EMF, UML to FM3, and XMI / GXL importers.

> - maybe dynamic information too

Indeed, I forget to mention that we should re-implement Dynamix in Pharo.

> And all this nicely packaged in an easy-to-use plugin system (yeck :-( )

I thought we already have things like that :). Or what exactly do you mean?

Cheers,
Doru

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: happy new ... focus

Stéphane Ducasse
>> I think Moose focuses a lot on source code and forget a bit the environnement:
>>
>> - configuration management
>> Veronica is working on this

What is it?

>> - tests
>> Alex and Vanessa
>>
>> - Database and persistency tools
>
> This is what FameDB should be about.
>
>> - but may be also less technical things: models (as in UML models, not meta-models), documents, people, ...
>
> Here, it would be great to have translators from EMF, UML to FM3, and XMI / GXL importers.

Good luck.
Sara and Pierrick did a EMF support for Moose in 2006. This is in VW but EMF is so bloated that I would not go this road.

>> - maybe dynamic information too
>
> Indeed, I forget to mention that we should re-implement Dynamix in Pharo.

Doru do you remember for what I mentioned that the last time we talk about taking part of adrian lienhart model?

Re: happy new ... focus

Nicolas Anquetil

> >> I think Moose focuses a lot on source code and forget a bit the
> >> environnement:
> >>
> >> - configuration management
> >> Veronica is working on this
>
> What is it?

I don't know, you are her supervisor :-)

Does not she work on a metamodel to handle versions, patch, etc?

On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

>> What is it?
>
> I don't know, you are her supervisor :-)
>
> Does not she work on a metamodel to handle versions, patch, etc?

Yes indeed we should talk.

Stef