happy new year plus cogdroid news

1 message Options

happy new year plus cogdroid news

Alain rastoul
Hi Pharo guys,

First, let me wish you a happy new year, health,  and success in your
projects.

I also wanted to mention that I started the first day of this year trying
Pharo on an android tablet (sony) with my develoment image (Pharo 1.3 with
lot of stuff loaded : seaside, glorp, dbx, moose fuel and more) and it was
really nice ...
I even got a local seaside web server running on the tablet.
... 8-)
IMHO a great opportunity for Pharo,  the ONLY IDE running natively on
Android (and mac, and linux and windows), a hyped new system, new media
(back to the think pad?) ...

There is still a lot of work to make Pharo a "good android citizen" ,
including (just thoughts):
- several basic UI improvements , it is quite difficult to click on a corner
to expand a window
- keyboard improvements : no way to get alt or ctl key working so far
- new theme for tablet (bigger fonts, bigger scrollbars etc) (I started to
look at this)
- new smalltalk tools : browser, finder inspector (I will try a small
Glamourous browser )
- reduce cpu usage (suspend/awake  pharo process ? )
- interface to android content providers (audio, video, calendar data etc)
- ... and for sure lot more

Many thanks to Andreas, Dimitri and other people who worked on it

Best  regards,
Alain