headless CogVM on Windows

Torsten Bergmann
>yeah... we need a real headless mode (no systry, nothing... just a deamon >running)

The regulary Squeak VM for Windows is able to do just that.
It runs Smalltalk as an NT service by using the option "-service"
See

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/105

Dont know if this also works on Cog/Pharo standard VM.

Bye
T.

Re: headless CogVM on Windows

Igor Stasenko
On 21 September 2012 16:28, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>yeah... we need a real headless mode (no systry, nothing... just a deamon >running)
>
> The regulary Squeak VM for Windows is able to do just that.
> It runs Smalltalk as an NT service by using the option "-service"
> See
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/105
>
> Dont know if this also works on Cog/Pharo standard VM.

yeah.. but this is something different.. it registers itself as a
service in system.
Which is not the same as just running it headless.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: headless CogVM on Windows

Pavel Krivanek-3
This is the reason why I need the headless mode on Windows:
http://youtu.be/L6P6VuqDmaM

"This video shows a very simple Pharo application based on XULRunner.
We firstly start XULRunner that displays a splashscreen. During the
splash screen the XULRunner starts a new process with Pharo and starts
Zinc server in it. As soon as the server is started, it starts to
communicate to it using a WebSocket and opens the main window. When
the window is closed, the Pharo image is closed immediately too."

...so this is the way we can create seamless applications with native
GUI in Pharo without need of special VM extensions. Currently on
Windows it works the same way however the Pharo window is displayed. I
will test the Mac later.

-- Pavel

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 September 2012 16:28, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>yeah... we need a real headless mode (no systry, nothing... just a deamon >running)
>>
>> The regulary Squeak VM for Windows is able to do just that.
>> It runs Smalltalk as an NT service by using the option "-service"
>> See
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/105
>>
>> Dont know if this also works on Cog/Pharo standard VM.
>>

> yeah.. but this is something different.. it registers itself as a
> service in system.
> Which is not the same as just running it headless.
>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: headless CogVM on Windows

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Cool stuff !

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

On 21 Sep 2012, at 19:23, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is the reason why I need the headless mode on Windows:
> http://youtu.be/L6P6VuqDmaM
>
> "This video shows a very simple Pharo application based on XULRunner.
> We firstly start XULRunner that displays a splashscreen. During the
> splash screen the XULRunner starts a new process with Pharo and starts
> Zinc server in it. As soon as the server is started, it starts to
> communicate to it using a WebSocket and opens the main window. When
> the window is closed, the Pharo image is closed immediately too."
>
> ...so this is the way we can create seamless applications with native
> GUI in Pharo without need of special VM extensions. Currently on
> Windows it works the same way however the Pharo window is displayed. I
> will test the Mac later.
>
> -- Pavel

>>> The regulary Squeak VM for Windows is able to do just that.
>>> It runs Smalltalk as an NT service by using the option "-service"
>>> See
>>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/105
>>>
>>> Dont know if this also works on Cog/Pharo standard VM.
>>>

>> yeah.. but this is something different.. it registers itself as a
>> service in system.
>> Which is not the same as just running it headless.
>>
>>> Bye
>>> T.
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: headless CogVM on Windows

Pavel Krivanek-3
Well, on Mac OS X it works too but the Pharo window is always displayed.

-- Pavel

Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 18.30.06 PM.png (48K) Download Attachment

Re: headless CogVM on Windows

Igor Stasenko
Pavel,
as you may know, we wanting to make image be in control whether it
wants to display any window or not,
i.e. it should tell VM to create host window if it wants to, and VM
should not provide any window by default (or simulate that it is
there).

And we want it for a years, still nobody spent time implementing this.
As to me, it worth putting effort to make this happen , instead of
fixing broken headless mode.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.