help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hello,

I have to  made this challenge as last on of the OOP book

Servers answering requests

When a server node consumes a packet, it converts the payload to uppercase,
then sends that back to the sender of the request.

This is yet another subclass which redefines the consume: method, but this
time the node is stateless, so we have no initialization or accessor methods to
write:

KANetworkNode subclass: #KANetworkServer
instanceVariableNames: ''
classVariableNames: ''
category: 'NetworkSimulator-Nodes'

KANetworkServer >> consume: aPacket
| response |
response := aPacket payload asUppercase.
self send: (KANetworkPacket
from: self address
to: aPacket sourceAddress
payload: response)

Define a test for the behavior of server nodes.

I tried but I miss something

so far as I have this :

testSendToServer
    | packet ping pong link |
    packet := KANetworkPacket from: #ping to: #pong payload: #ball.
    ping := net nodeAt: #ping.
    pong := net nodeAt: #pong.
    link := net linkFrom: #ping to: #pong.
    ping send: packet.
    pong consume: packet.

but whatever I tried I cannot think of a test that works.

I tried

assert:  ping payload equals: #BALL
assert: ping arrievedpackages equals; 1

but they all fail

It looks like ping does not recieve the package back.

What do I do wrong or what can I test better ?

my code so far : https://github.com/RoelofWobben/network

and the problem is the testToServerTest that I cannot make work

Regards,

Roelof

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

Richard O'Keefe
The first question you should ask is "What do I expect #ball asUppercase to be?"
The ANSI Smalltalk standard says
5.7.10.9 Message:  asUppercase
Synopsis
  Answer a new string which contains all of the elements of the
receiver converted to their upper
case equivalents.
Definition: <readableString>
  Answer a new string which contains all of the elements of the
receiver converted to their upper
case equivalents. Individual element of the string are converted as if
they were receivers of the
message #asUppercase.
Return Values
  <readableString> new
Errors
  none

Notice the word "string", the protocol "<readableString>", and the
entire absence of anything
suggesting that the receiver and result belong to the same class.

In my Smalltalk library, the receiver and result DO belong to the same class,
so #ball asUppercase ==> #BALL.
But the ANSI standard does not require that.
And I may change my library, because
GNU Smalltalk, Dolphin Smalltalk, Smalltalk/X, Squeak, and Pharo
all return a String.  (On the other hand, one reason I wrote my Smalltalk
was to press the edges of the ANSI standard, so maybe I'll leave it.)

So I think where you have #BALL you should have 'BALL'.
There may be other issues.

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 11:00, Roelof Wobben via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to  made this challenge as last on of the OOP book
>
> Servers answering requests
>
> When a server node consumes a packet, it converts the payload to uppercase,
> then sends that back to the sender of the request.
>
> This is yet another subclass which redefines the consume: method, but this
> time the node is stateless, so we have no initialization or accessor methods to
> write:
>
> KANetworkNode subclass: #KANetworkServer
> instanceVariableNames: ''
> classVariableNames: ''
> category: 'NetworkSimulator-Nodes'
>
> KANetworkServer >> consume: aPacket
> | response |
> response := aPacket payload asUppercase.
> self send: (KANetworkPacket
> from: self address
> to: aPacket sourceAddress
> payload: response)
>

> Define a test for the behavior of server nodes.
>

> I tried but I miss something
>
> so far as I have this :
>
> testSendToServer
>     | packet ping pong link |
>     packet := KANetworkPacket from: #ping to: #pong payload: #ball.
>     ping := net nodeAt: #ping.
>     pong := net nodeAt: #pong.
>     link := net linkFrom: #ping to: #pong.
>     ping send: packet.
>     pong consume: packet.
>
> but whatever I tried I cannot think of a test that works.
>
> I tried
>
> assert:  ping payload equals: #BALL
> assert: ping arrievedpackages equals; 1
>
> but they all fail
>
> It looks like ping does not recieve the package back.
>
> What do I do wrong or what can I test better ?
>
> my code so far : https://github.com/RoelofWobben/network
>
> and the problem is the testToServerTest that I cannot make work
>
> Regards,
>
> Roelof

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks,

That part I understand  but what I try  to say is that if I understand
the code right the string BALL  is send back to the node that send the
orginal messsgae #ball.  But as I said that one do not seem to recieve
any packages and my question is still why ?

I debugged it several times but I do not see the reason.

Roelof

Op 30-10-2019 om 01:38 schreef Richard O'Keefe:

> [...]
>>      packet := KANetworkPacket from: #ping to: #pong payload: #ball.
>>      ping := net nodeAt: #ping.
>>      pong := net nodeAt: #pong.
>>      link := net linkFrom: #ping to: #pong.
>>      ping send: packet.
>>      pong consume: packet.
>>
>> but whatever I tried I cannot think of a test that works.
>>
>> I tried
>>
>> assert:  ping payload equals: #BALL
>> assert: ping arrievedpackages equals; 1
>>
>> but they all fail
>>
>> It looks like ping does not recieve the package back.
>>
>> What do I do wrong or what can I test better ?
>>
>> my code so far : https://github.com/RoelofWobben/network
>>
>> and the problem is the testToServerTest that I cannot make work
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Roelof

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

I solved that part but I wonder if  some one can give me a hint how I
can read the package send from the server

consume seems to return a node and not a package.

Roelof

Op 30-10-2019 om 06:56 schreef Roelof Wobben:

> [...]
>>>      packet := KANetworkPacket from: #ping to: #pong payload: #ball.
>>>      ping := net nodeAt: #ping.
>>>      pong := net nodeAt: #pong.
>>>      link := net linkFrom: #ping to: #pong.
>>>      ping send: packet.
>>>      pong consume: packet.
>>>
>>> but whatever I tried I cannot think of a test that works.
>>>
>>> I tried
>>>
>>> assert:  ping payload equals: #BALL
>>> assert: ping arrievedpackages equals; 1
>>>
>>> but they all fail
>>>
>>> It looks like ping does not recieve the package back.
>>>
>>> What do I do wrong or what can I test better ?
>>>
>>> my code so far : https://github.com/RoelofWobben/network
>>>
>>> and the problem is the testToServerTest that I cannot make work
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Roelof

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

I did already and noticed that the text is changed.
and I noticed that the payload is only avaible at a link.

or if I made the node that sends is a Node and not a Workstation or  whatever because they do not store the payload somewhere.

Roelof

Op 30-10-2019 om 10:06 schreef Stéphane Ducasse:
Put a breakpoint.

What you are learning is how to help yourself and this is 80% of programming.

S.

From: Roelof Wobben <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.
Date: 30 October 2019 at 08:30:14 CET
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Did find two possibly solutions but I think difficult to implement

or

but on the second I see that every time the package is on another place.

So someone some tips how to implement one of the two ?

Roelof

Op 30-10-2019 om 12:20 schreef Roelof Wobben:
I did already and noticed that the text is changed.
and I noticed that the payload is only avaible at a link.

or if I made the node that sends is a Node and not a Workstation or  whatever because they do not store the payload somewhere.

Roelof

Op 30-10-2019 om 10:06 schreef Stéphane Ducasse:
Put a breakpoint.

What you are learning is how to help yourself and this is 80% of programming.

S.

Re: help bij one of the last challenges of the chapterof network simulation of the oop book.

Richard O'Keefe
We don't know what you are actually trying to do.
WHICH book has the problem you are trying to solve?
I spent some time looking at the code in your repository,
and the KA* classes look very "passive".  I don't really
see any simulation going on anywhere but in the test
cases, and that just feels wrong.

I would expect a network simulator to model network nodes
as Processes with SharedQueues of messages coming in
and responding by sending messages through other SharedQueues.