help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

12

help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I need help with creating the stable 5.0 version in the configurations.

I wanted to get to extend the Spanshotcello, but unfortunately, I did not manage to do it and the time is since long up. So, we should just do it manually, but for that I need help.

Who can provide it?

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:22 , Tudor Girba wrote:
> I need help with creating the stable 5.0 version in the configurations.

What needs to be done?

> I wanted to get to extend the Spanshotcello, but unfortunately, I did not manage to do it and the time is since long up. So, we should just do it manually, but for that I need help.
>
> Who can provide it?

I can help with that.
Are we going to add a named version #'Moose5.0' to all configurations?

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
No. We will create a stable version of each configuration that will be versioned based on the numbering of each configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:22 , Tudor Girba wrote:
> I need help with creating the stable 5.0 version in the configurations.

What needs to be done?

> I wanted to get to extend the Spanshotcello, but unfortunately, I did not manage to do it and the time is since long up. So, we should just do it manually, but for that I need help.
>
> Who can provide it?

I can help with that.
Are we going to add a named version #'Moose5.0' to all configurations?

Stephan

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
>No. We will create a stable version of each configuration that will be versioned based on the numbering of each configurations.

Last time I was not so happy with the results of using numbered configurations. The release version stopped being usable about
a week after the release date. With a symbolic name we can fix critical bugs that stop newcomers from using Moose.
Last time we had a development version that didn't work because of significant Pharo3 surgery and a stable version that
couldn't be build because of numbered configurations. If possible I would like to avoid that this time.

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Ok. Let's give this a shot. So, we would need versions in all configurations that point to the concrete number or #stable of the other configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>No. We will create a stable version of each configuration that will be versioned based on the numbering of each configurations.

Last time I was not so happy with the results of using numbered configurations. The release version stopped being usable about
a week after the release date. With a symbolic name we can fix critical bugs that stop newcomers from using Moose.
Last time we had a development version that didn't work because of significant Pharo3 surgery and a stable version that
couldn't be build because of numbered configurations. If possible I would like to avoid that this time.

Stephan

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

demarey
Maybe you could use Versionner for that.
If your configuration depends on a #stable version, Versionner can resolve this (check box activated by default) when releasing a new version.
Versioner do not have a deep release functionality but  it should not be difficult to do if needed; At a time, I created the VSConfigurationGeneratorCommand (in Versionner repo in SH) that follows all the dependencies of a project.

Christophe

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, I would want tool support.

The configuration does not depend on #stable. It currently depends on #development, but it should be changed to #stable. Could you handle that?

Also, actually we do not necessarily need a deep release. I extended Metacello with traversal and inspector support possibilities.

Thus, you can do:
(ConfigurationOfMoose new project version: #development) allProjects

and you get all dependent projects.

This can then be used as a todo-list basis for creating configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe you could use Versionner for that.
If your configuration depends on a #stable version, Versionner can resolve this (check box activated by default) when releasing a new version.
Versioner do not have a deep release functionality but  it should not be difficult to do if needed; At a time, I created the VSConfigurationGeneratorCommand (in Versionner repo in SH) that follows all the dependencies of a project.

Christophe

Le 7 déc. 2014 à 21:21, Tudor Girba a écrit :

Ok. Let's give this a shot. So, we would need versions in all configurations that point to the concrete number or #stable of the other configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>No. We will create a stable version of each configuration that will be versioned based on the numbering of each configurations.

Last time I was not so happy with the results of using numbered configurations. The release version stopped being usable about
a week after the release date. With a symbolic name we can fix critical bugs that stop newcomers from using Moose.
Last time we had a development version that didn't work because of significant Pharo3 surgery and a stable version that
couldn't be build because of numbered configurations. If possible I would like to avoid that this time.

Stephan

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Doru,

I'd like to make transparant what needs to be done
to release Moose 5.0, so I'll write down the steps I
take.

First step is deciding which configurations need to be
changed, and what needs to be done with them.

In Moose we have the following 34 configurations:

ConfigurationOfAnnouncerCentricDebugger
ConfigurationOfBitmapCharacterSet
ConfigurationOfCommandShell
ConfigurationOfDeepTraverser
ConfigurationOfFame
ConfigurationOfGTDebugger
ConfigurationOfGTInspector
ConfigurationOfGTInspectorCore
ConfigurationOfGTPlayground
ConfigurationOfGTPlaygroundCore
ConfigurationOfGTSpotter
ConfigurationOfGToolkit
ConfigurationOfGlamour
ConfigurationOfGlamourCore
ConfigurationOfGrease
ConfigurationOfHashTable
ConfigurationOfMagritte3
ConfigurationOfMerlin
ConfigurationOfMetanool
ConfigurationOfMoose
ConfigurationOfMooseAlgos
ConfigurationOfNewDebugger
ConfigurationOfOSProcess
ConfigurationOfOrderPreservingDictionary
ConfigurationOfPastell
ConfigurationOfPetitParser
ConfigurationOfPetitSQLParser
ConfigurationOfPhexample
ConfigurationOfRoassal2
ConfigurationOfRoelTyper
ConfigurationOfRubric
ConfigurationOfSmallDude
ConfigurationOfXMLParser
ConfigurationOfXMLWriter

In Pharo3 30860 there are no configurations.

Of those, the maintained ones I know not under Moose control are:

ConfigurationOfCommandShell
ConfigurationOfGrease
ConfigurationOfMagritte3
ConfigurationOfOSProcess
ConfigurationOfXMLParser
ConfigurationOfXMLWriter

I assume there are  a few more. Which ones?

In those I'd suggest to not add the #'moose5.0' but pick the met fitting
current version.

Grease and Magritte3 already have named versions, so we can simply refer to
Magritte3 #'release3.2'
Grease #'release1.1'
that contains the same packages as #development=version3.1.5

CommandShell loads version469 which has a numbered OSProcess version 4.5.12
the #stable version refers to 469 so can be used.
The baseline of CommandShell looks broken.

to be continued
  Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks.

Here is a better list. If you start from ConfigurationOfMoose, then you can do:
(ConfigurationOfMoose new project version: #development) allProjects
==> and you will get 22 configurations.

For the following, we need to create new versions that will point to the existing baselines, and that point to the #stable of dependent configurations:
<>1.0-baseline [ConfigurationOfMetanool]
<>1.2-baseline [ConfigurationOfFame]
<>2.5-baseline [ConfigurationOfMooseAlgos]
<>1.6-baseline [ConfigurationOfPetitParser]
<>3.0-baseline [ConfigurationOfGlamour]
<>1.1-baseline [ConfigurationOfRoassal2]
<>2.3-baseline [ConfigurationOfSmallDude]
<>5.0-baseline [ConfigurationOfMoose]
<>1.3-baseline [ConfigurationOfPetitSQLParser]
<>0.18-baseline [ConfigurationOfGToolkit]
<>0.3-baseline [ConfigurationOfAnnouncerCentricDebugger]
<>0.2-baseline [ConfigurationOfGTDebugger]
<>2.0-baseline [ConfigurationOfGTInspector]

For rest, we have to ensure that there exists a correct #stable one, but not necessarily create one:
~3.1.5 [ConfigurationOfMagritte3]
~1.1.13 [ConfigurationOfGrease]
2.0 [ConfigurationOfHashTable]
1.8.8 [ConfigurationOfXMLParser]
2.4.8 [ConfigurationOfXMLWriter]
~1.3.0 [ConfigurationOfOrderPreservingDictionary]
~1.1.2 [ConfigurationOfBitmapCharacterSet]
4.5.12 [ConfigurationOfOSProcess]
~4.6.9 [ConfigurationOfCommandShell]

Cheers,
Doru

Christophe wrote:
>Maybe you could use Versionner for that.
>If your configuration depends on a #stable version, Versionner can resolve this (check box activated by default) when releasing a new version.
>Versioner do not have a deep release functionality but  it should not be difficult to do if needed; At a time, I created the VSConfigurationGeneratorCommand (in Versionner repo in SH) that follows all the >dependencies of a project.

For that we'd need Versionner to support groups and platforms.
We have dependencies on Grease and Magritte3

Stephan

Le 8 déc. 2014 à 11:44, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :

> Christophe wrote:
>> Maybe you could use Versionner for that.
>> If your configuration depends on a #stable version, Versionner can resolve this (check box activated by default) when releasing a new version.
>> Versioner do not have a deep release functionality but  it should not be difficult to do if needed; At a time, I created the VSConfigurationGeneratorCommand (in Versionner repo in SH) that follows all the >dependencies of a project.
>
> For that we'd need Versionner to support groups

groups are supported

> and platforms.
> We have dependencies on Grease and Magritte3

yes, for platforms it will be a problem. You could do Configurations with platforms by hand and other with Versionner.

Le 8 déc. 2014 à 11:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Indeed, I would want tool support.
>
> The configuration does not depend on #stable. It currently depends on #development, but it should be changed to #stable. Could you handle that?

In Versionner, I assume that the development version is a baseline. If it not, I create a new baseline that becomes the new development version (understand, the current, not yet released version, I work on).
Once Versionner has this baseline version, it resolves all kind of symbolic versions to the numbered versions for the release (but still keep the symbolic version in the baseline to use for dev version and next releases).

> Also, actually we do not necessarily need a deep release. I extended Metacello with traversal and inspector support possibilities.

ok, so it should be easy. Versionners uses a command pattern so I assume you could call the ReleaseVersion Command on all the configurations without clicking on the Versionner UI.
In this case, the only thing is to check that Versionner is happy with the current configuration.

Here is a snippet of code that you can try:
| config project |
config := ConfigurationOfVersionner.
project := MTProject
                                newFromVersion: config project development
                                inConfiguration: config.
(VSReleaseDevelopmentVersionCommand
        target: project devWorkflow
        for: nil) execute

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
I've checked and changed to have stable versions:

ConfigurationOfFame
ConfigurationOfMetanool

ConfigurationOfGlamour now uses a release version of Magritte3
but has no stable yet.

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Great. I just committed a new version of Moose-Finder. Please take it into account.

Also, I would like to add the stable of NeoCSV and NeoJSON to the ConfigurationOfMoose 5.0. Could you add these as well?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've checked and changed to have stable versions:

ConfigurationOfFame
ConfigurationOfMetanool

ConfigurationOfGlamour now uses a release version of Magritte3
but has no stable yet.

Stephan

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
Christophe wrote
>Once Versionner has this baseline version, it resolves all kind of symbolic versions to the numbered versions for the release
>(but still keep the symbolic version in the baseline to use for dev version and next releases).

You don't want numbered versions for the parts you don't control. There you want patches to be possible.
Dependent projects always need to be referred to by symbolic name. Dependent project are volatile
information.

https://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd07xx/EWD719.PDF

In Moose, there are at any time a few sub projects that are very active and are very likely to break very
soon after (or even at) release. At the moment, that could be PetitParser and Roassal2. As we'll move
to Pharo4 straight after this release, the development version is going to be fragile for a while.
If we want to be able to patch active projects, we need symbolic versions to make sure that patch
versions don't need to propagate to the configurations using them.

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
For ConfigurationOfRoelTyper it is safe to use #stable.

The configurationOfOrderPreservingDictionary had a broken baseline
with a numbered version in it. I removed the broken baseline and
changed the reference to it. It is now safe to use stable

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Stephan Eggermont-3
ConfigurationOfXMLWriter can be used as is with #stable
ConfigurationOfXMLParser baseline now uses #stable.

These configurations really should be combined
and use groups, or be made independent.

Stephan

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks.

No groups, please :). Building tooling for groups is terrible. We have to go away from them.
(But, let's have that discussion another time:))

Doru

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
ConfigurationOfXMLWriter can be used as is with #stable
ConfigurationOfXMLParser baseline now uses #stable.

These configurations really should be combined
and use groups, or be made independent.

Stephan

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: help needed with creating moose 5.0 configuration

Andrei Chis
I added a stable version for the following configurations:

ConfigurationOfGlamourCore
ConfigurationOfGlamour
ConfigurationOfGTSpotter
ConfigurationOfGTInspectorCore
ConfigurationOfGTInspector
ConfigurationOfGTPlaygroundCore
ConfigurationOfGTPlayground
ConfigurationOfRubric

I'll continue to add stable versions for the remaining configurations that belong to GToolkit.

Cheers,
Andrei