help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. We are very near to release 1.1. We need help to remember all we all have been doing on it ;)

Here is the current list:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotOne

Please, feel free to add/modify actions.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Adrian Lienhard
I've added:
- native host menus for Mac to the list.
- Packages remodularization
- New help system

What are the most important improvements/changes of 1.1 that we can point out on the website and in the announcement of the new release?

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2010, at 11:33 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi. We are very near to release 1.1. We need help to remember all we all
> have been doing on it ;)
>
> Here is the current list:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotOne
>
> Please, feel free to add/modify actions.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I've added:
> - native host menus for Mac to the list.
> - Packages remodularization
> - New help system
>
> What are the most important improvements/changes of 1.1 that we can point out on the website and in the announcement of the new release?

general speed up and lot of improvements :)

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 18, 2010, at 11:33 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi. We are very near to release 1.1. We need help to remember all we all
>> have been doing on it ;)
>>
>> Here is the current list:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotOne
>>
>> Please, feel free to add/modify actions.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> I've added:
>> - native host menus for Mac to the list.
>> - Packages remodularization
>> - New help system
>>
>> What are the most important improvements/changes of 1.1 that we can point out on the website and in the announcement of the new release?
>
> general speed up and lot of improvements :)
Like the weak collections? :)

Levente

On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> I've added:
>>> - native host menus for Mac to the list.
>>> - Packages remodularization
>>> - New help system
>>>
>>> What are the most important improvements/changes of 1.1 that we can point out on the website and in the announcement of the new release?
>>
>> general speed up and lot of improvements :)
>
> Like the weak collections? :)

what do you mean?
That we do do not do it.

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Henrik Sperre Johansen

Den 19. juli 2010 kl. 15:45 skrev Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> I've added:
>>> - native host menus for Mac to the list.
>>> - Packages remodularization
>>> - New help system
>>>
>>> What are the most important improvements/changes of 1.1 that we can point out on the website and in the announcement of the new release?
>>
>> general speed up and lot of improvements :)
>
> Like the weak collections? :)
>

> Levente

The wkd in Pharo 1.1 didn't really result in a speedup :)
Better Identity hashing, encoding conversions, the other collection changes which made it in, plus rendering speedups f.ex through inlining alot of common morph extensions, and using Strike fonts by default, were though!

Cheers,
Henry

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:

The wkd in Pharo 1.1 didn't really result in a speedup :)
Better Identity hashing, encoding conversions, the other collection changes which made it in, plus rendering speedups f.ex through inlining alot of common morph extensions, and using Strike fonts by default, were though!

That's a nice euphemism. I didn't check the code thoroughly, but rehashing
seems to be O(n^2) in WeakKeyDictionary. This affects it's subclasses and
WeakRegistry which affects the whole finalization process.

(Recently I did a benchmark of Seaside 3.0, where Squeak handled 1.28x
more requests/second than Pharo under "heavy load" (50 concurrent users
flooding the server) with the Kom adaptor.)

Levente

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Lukas Renggli
> That's a nice euphemism. I didn't check the code thoroughly, but rehashing
> seems to be O(n^2) in WeakKeyDictionary. This affects it's subclasses and
> WeakRegistry which affects the whole finalization process.
>
> (Recently I did a benchmark of Seaside 3.0, where Squeak handled 1.28x more
> requests/second than Pharo under "heavy load" (50 concurrent users flooding
> the server) with the Kom adaptor.)

Seaside doesn't use any weak data structures.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> That's a nice euphemism. I didn't check the code thoroughly, but rehashing
>> seems to be O(n^2) in WeakKeyDictionary. This affects it's subclasses and
>> WeakRegistry which affects the whole finalization process.
>>
>> (Recently I did a benchmark of Seaside 3.0, where Squeak handled 1.28x more
>> requests/second than Pharo under "heavy load" (50 concurrent users flooding
>> the server) with the Kom adaptor.)
>
> Seaside doesn't use any weak data structures.

Well, not directly. But sockets are registered into a WeakRegistry when
created. I didn't check where the speedup comes in Squeak, but I'm pretty
sure that 99% is related to HashedCollection and subclasses.

Levente

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Lukas Renggli
>> Seaside doesn't use any weak data structures.
>
> Well, not directly. But sockets are registered into a WeakRegistry when
> created. I didn't check where the speedup comes in Squeak, but I'm pretty
> sure that 99% is related to HashedCollection and subclasses.

Ahh, sure. That might be it.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Where is the code that we should check to be included in 1.2?

Stef

On Jul 19, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> The wkd in Pharo 1.1 didn't really result in a speedup :)
> Better Identity hashing, encoding conversions, the other collection changes which made it in, plus rendering speedups f.ex through inlining alot of common morph extensions, and using Strike fonts by default, were though!
>

> That's a nice euphemism. I didn't check the code thoroughly, but rehashing seems to be O(n^2) in WeakKeyDictionary. This affects it's subclasses and WeakRegistry which affects the whole finalization process.
>
> (Recently I did a benchmark of Seaside 3.0, where Squeak handled 1.28x more requests/second than Pharo under "heavy load" (50 concurrent users flooding the server) with the Kom adaptor.)
>

> Levente

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Where is the code that we should check to be included in 1.2?

Basically in Squeak, but I'm sure most of them are in the Pharo
bugtracker.

Levente

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Where is the code that we should check to be included in 1.2?
>
> Basically in Squeak, but I'm sure most of them are in the Pharo bugtracker.
Thanks but
well...
tell me that this is too boring to report it which I can understand but not that
kind of answer because this is certainly not the case since I'm nearly the only one
to look at squeak fixes.

Stef

> Levente
>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:

>>> The wkd in Pharo 1.1 didn't really result in a speedup :)
>>> Better Identity hashing, encoding conversions, the other collection changes which made it in, plus rendering speedups f.ex through inlining alot of common morph extensions, and using Strike fonts by default, were though!
>>>

>>> That's a nice euphemism. I didn't check the code thoroughly, but rehashing seems to be O(n^2) in WeakKeyDictionary. This affects it's subclasses and WeakRegistry which affects the whole finalization process.
>>>
>>> (Recently I did a benchmark of Seaside 3.0, where Squeak handled 1.28x more requests/second than Pharo under "heavy load" (50 concurrent users flooding the server) with the Kom adaptor.)
>>>

>>> Levente

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Where is the code that we should check to be included in 1.2?
>>
>> Basically in Squeak, but I'm sure most of them are in the Pharo bugtracker.
> Thanks but
> well...
> tell me that this is too boring to report it which I can understand but not that
> kind of answer because this is certainly not the case since I'm nearly the only one
> to look at squeak fixes.
The code of HashedCollection and subclasses in Pharo and Squeak are too
different now, there are no patches/changesets that can convert one to the
other. So a brave soul has to do it by hand.

Levente

Den 20. juli 2010 kl. 02:04 skrev Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Basically in Squeak, but I'm sure most of them are in the Pharo bugtracker.
>> Thanks but
>> well...
>> tell me that this is too boring to report it which I can understand but not that
>> kind of answer because this is certainly not the case since I'm nearly the only one
>> to look at squeak fixes.
>
> The code of HashedCollection and subclasses in Pharo and Squeak are too different now, there are no patches/changesets that can convert one to the other. So a brave soul has to do it by hand.
>

> Levente

I've been meaning to for the longest time, but work/other bugs/holiday keeps getting in my way :(

If my friends start leaving me alone, I might finally get some time at the end of this last holiday week though ;)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse
>>> The code of HashedCollection and subclasses in Pharo and Squeak are too different now, there are no patches/changesets that can convert one to the other. So a brave soul has to do it by hand.
>>
>> Levente
>>
> I've been meaning to for the longest time, but work/other bugs/holiday keeps getting in my way :(
>
> If my friends start leaving me alone, I might finally get some time at the end of this last holiday week though ;)
>>>

> Cheers,
> Henry

friends are important :)

Re: help to update actions done in Pharo 1.1

ok
We will see if this happens before october else we will check that with the guy we will hire.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Den 20. juli 2010 kl. 02:04 skrev Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Basically in Squeak, but I'm sure most of them are in the Pharo bugtracker.
>> Thanks but
>> well...
>> tell me that this is too boring to report it which I can understand but not that
>> kind of answer because this is certainly not the case since I'm nearly the only one
>> to look at squeak fixes.
>
> The code of HashedCollection and subclasses in Pharo and Squeak are too different now, there are no patches/changesets that can convert one to the other. So a brave soul has to do it by hand.
>

> Levente

I've been meaning to for the longest time, but work/other bugs/holiday keeps getting in my way :(

If my friends start leaving me alone, I might finally get some time at the end of this last holiday week though ;)

Henry, do you know if there is a ticket for that?  at least we won't forget it ;)

Cheers,
Henry