help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
I am on page 16 if 'Squeak by Example'. I have installed Sokoban, but I can't get the evaluation to work. I open a workspace and type 'SokobanMorph random openinWorld', click evaluate and get an message that it cannot understand 'openinWorld'.

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

SergeStinckwich
On 13/08/10 09:29, john mcelhose wrote:
> I am on page 16 if 'Squeak by Example'. I have installed Sokoban, but I
> can't get the evaluation to work. I open a workspace and type
> 'SokobanMorph random openinWorld', click evaluate and get an message
> that it cannot understand 'openinWorld'.

Which version of Squeak do you use ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

Derek O'Connell-3
  On 13/08/10 03:29, john mcelhose wrote:
> I am on page 16 if 'Squeak by Example'. I have installed Sokoban, but I can't get the evaluation to work. I open a workspace and type 'SokobanMorph random openinWorld', click evaluate and get an message that it cannot understand 'openinWorld'.

perhaps "openInWorld" with a capital "i"?

RE: help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
Thanks, I'll try it.

> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:05:13 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Newbies] help with Sokoban evaluation
>
> On 13/08/10 03:29, john mcelhose wrote:
> > I am on page 16 if 'Squeak by Example'. I have installed Sokoban, but I can't get the evaluation to work. I open a workspace and type 'SokobanMorph random openinWorld', click evaluate and get an message that it cannot understand 'openinWorld'.
> >

> perhaps "openInWorld" with a capital "i"?

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
Squeak 4.1

On 13/08/10 11:15, john mcelhose wrote:
> Squeak 4.1

SokobanMorph is no more available in this version.

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
Well, that explains it. Thanks.

> To: [hidden email]

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:18:10 +0700
> Subject: [Newbies] Re: help with Sokoban evaluation
>
> On 13/08/10 11:15, john mcelhose wrote:
> > Squeak 4.1
>
> SokobanMorph is no more available in this version.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

RE: help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
The solution is that SokobanMorph is no longer available in the version (4.1) I' using. Thanks.

On 13/08/10 11:19, john mcelhose wrote:
> Well, that explains it. Thanks.

If you read Squeak by Example, please use the image available on the
book web page: http://squeakbyexample.org/
This is based on an old version of Squeak, but every example of the book
should work correctly.

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

john mcelhose
Thanks for the tip. Is there a more recommended book for learning Smalltalk?

> To: [hidden email]

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:22:57 +0700
> Subject: [Newbies] Re: help with Sokoban evaluation
>
> On 13/08/10 11:19, john mcelhose wrote:
> > Well, that explains it. Thanks.
>
> If you read Squeak by Example, please use the image available on the
> book web page: http://squeakbyexample.org/
> This is based on an old version of Squeak, but every example of the book
> should work correctly.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: help with Sokoban evaluation

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I think Squeak By Example is a great one to start.  The wiki has some great info on it (some is outdated), and the Laser Game Tutorial at http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/ is very thorough.  Check out http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html for a list of free books.

Once you have the basics down, I find http://www.amazon.com/Smalltalk-Best-Practice-Patterns-Kent/dp/013476904X indispensable.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,