help with autoconf...

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All,

    I need to modify the autoconf scripts in the unix build to arrange to omit the -fomit-frame-pointer flag form on e of the files in Cog.  I've asked Ian for help but he's not responded for whatever reason and I would like to solve the issue up front.  Is anyone familiar enough with autoconf and has the free time to hold my hand through the process.  I haven't got the patience to learn autoconf myself (fundamentally because I think its a heap of crap, waaaay too complicated to be worth the effort) but I would like to have the rest of the VM compiled with -fomit-frame-pointer, essentially for plugin performance, so I don't want to take the easy route and simply omit -fomit-frame-pointer throguhout, and I don't want to spend the time e.g. porting the Newspeak make framework, which would be a good thing in the long run.

TIA
Eliot

Re: help with autoconf...

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.04.2009, at 20:04, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I need to modify the autoconf scripts in the unix build to
> arrange to omit the -fomit-frame-pointer flag form on e of the files
> in Cog.  I've asked Ian for help but he's not responded for whatever
> reason and I would like to solve the issue up front.  Is anyone
> familiar enough with autoconf and has the free time to hold my hand
> through the process.  I haven't got the patience to learn autoconf
> myself (fundamentally because I think its a heap of crap, waaaay too
> complicated to be worth the effort) but I would like to have the
> rest of the VM compiled with -fomit-frame-pointer, essentially for
> plugin performance, so I don't want to take the easy route and
> simply omit -fomit-frame-pointer throguhout, and I don't want to
> spend the time e.g. porting the Newspeak make framework, which would
> be a good thing in the long run.
>
> TIA
> Eliot

Ian is on vacation.

Easiest might be to add -fno-omit-frame-pointer when your file is
compiled, this should cancel a previous -fomit-frame-pointer.

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That explains it.

Easiest might be to add -fno-omit-frame-pointer when your file is compiled, this should cancel a previous -fomit-frame-pointer.

Right.  My problem, however, is how to get autoconf to generate a specific compile rule for one file.  I can define the alternative COMPILEALT macro but I can't yet figure out how to spit out that rule for a specific source file withoput hacking it at the wrong place.  But I'm getting closer :/

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.04.2009, at 21:13, Eliot Miranda wrote:

[...]

Right.

Actually, no. -fno-omit-frame-pointer seems to *force* a frame pointer even on platforms that by default have none ... or is that what you need?

 My problem, however, is how to get autoconf to generate a specific compile rule for one file.  I can define the alternative COMPILEALT macro but I can't yet figure out how to spit out that rule for a specific source file withoput hacking it at the wrong place.  But I'm getting closer :/

Assuming you put it in the vm directory, hacking platforms/unix/vm/Makefile.in should do it, no?

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Right.  Somewhere (and I haven't found out where) the autoconf configuration decides to apply -fomit-frame-pointer, which is fine as it generates faster code, etc.  But I need (actually, want; I could work around, but shouldn't have to)  a frame pointer for one file, and a subsequent -fno-omit-frame-pointer will override a preceeding -fomit-frame-pointer with the compilers I'm aware of.

 My problem, however, is how to get autoconf to generate a specific compile rule for one file.  I can define the alternative COMPILEALT macro but I can't yet figure out how to spit out that rule for a specific source file withoput hacking it at the wrong place.  But I'm getting closer :/

Assuming you put it in the vm directory, hacking platforms/unix/vm/Makefile.in should do it, no?

Thanks for the suggestion!  tried it but no.  So I think I have to duplicate the ${srcs} collection and processing in mkmf.

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.04.2009, at 21:58, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Actually, no. -fno-omit-frame-pointer seems to *force* a frame pointer even on platforms that by default have none ... or is that what you need?

Right.  Somewhere (and I haven't found out where) the autoconf configuration decides to apply -fomit-frame-pointer, which is fine as it generates faster code, etc.

platforms/unix/config/acinclude.m4

If you change any of the autoconf stuff remember to run autoconf to regenerate the configure script.

But I need (actually, want; I could work around, but shouldn't have to)  a frame pointer for one file, and a subsequent -fno-omit-frame-pointer will override a preceeding -fomit-frame-pointer with the compilers I'm aware of.

Good.

 My problem, however, is how to get autoconf to generate a specific compile rule for one file.  I can define the alternative COMPILEALT macro but I can't yet figure out how to spit out that rule for a specific source file withoput hacking it at the wrong place.  But I'm getting closer :/

Assuming you put it in the vm directory, hacking platforms/unix/vm/Makefile.in should do it, no?

Thanks for the suggestion!  tried it but no.  So I think I have to duplicate the ${srcs} collection and processing in mkmf.

I meant to add a line for your file

myCogFile$o : myCogFile.c
$(COMPILE)  -fomit-frame-pointer $@ myCogFile.c

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:04:11PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> platforms/unix/config/acinclude.m4
>
> If you change any of the autoconf stuff remember to run autoconf to
> regenerate the configure script.

There's a Makefile in the platforms/unix/config directory. I think you
just need to cd to platforms/unix/config and then run make.

Re: help with autoconf...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Close but because COMPILE ends in "...-c -o" one can't write
 cogit$o : cogit.c
$(COMPILE)  -fno-omit-frame-pointer cogit$o $(srcdir)/vm/cogit.c

- Bert -

Re: help with autoconf...

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.04.2009, at 22:41, Eliot Miranda wrote:

[...]

how about

 cogit$o : cogit.c
$(COMPILE) cogit$o  -fno-omit-frame-pointer  $(srcdir)/vm/cogit.c

- Bert -