horrible download speeds for LK website

LawsonEnglish
I realize that this is a work in progress, but the download speeds for
viewing even the simplest example page are incredibly slow. Is there any
work being done to cache at least some of the library so you don't have
to download the entire library with every page? Even the backbutton ont
eh browser seems to take about as long as the first access. This is
totally unacceptable, even as a demo.

Also, have you compared the speed of running LK in local host vs getting
it from a remote server?  I can think of plenty of places where having a
localhost webpage acting as a GUI for a regular application (e.g. MMORPG
game client) would be useful.

Lawson

Re: horrible download speeds for LK website

LawsonEnglish
OK, the most recent version goes much faster than the version accesible
from the home page of the website.

And the speed of access via a local file is reasonable.

Background: in a discussion of how to improve the user interface of the
second life client viewer, I suggested that they use lively kernel
rendered into their existing OpenGL user interface layer using WebKit,
which is already part of the SL client.

The challenge: someone claimed that GUIs done with a web browser were
too primitive to be able to handle the Second LIfe viewer's needs, e.g.,
a Macintosh finder-like window with a list of nested folders and items
with simple icons next tot he names.

Can someone tell me how to create such a thing in LK? I'm sure its
trivial, but I don't see quite how to begin.

Thanks.

On 2/9/11 2:58 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> I realize that this is a work in progress, but the download speeds for
> viewing even the simplest example page are incredibly slow. Is there any
> work being done to cache at least some of the library so you don't have
> to download the entire library with every page? Even the backbutton ont
> eh browser seems to take about as long as the first access. This is
> totally unacceptable, even as a demo.
>
> Also, have you compared the speed of running LK in local host vs getting
> it from a remote server?  I can think of plenty of places where having a
> localhost webpage acting as a GUI for a regular application (e.g. MMORPG
> game client) would be useful.
>
> Lawson

Re: horrible download speeds for LK website

Robert Krahn-3
Hi, Lawson --

We just improved loading. The first access to a world will be slow, afterwards a cached version of the code base is used and access should be faster. Please note that we only implemented this for the wiki (e.g. http://lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/sandbox/sandbox.xhtml).

Best,
Robert