hot standby: first impressions

Georg Gollmann
Me again, after a morning playing with the new hot standby feature.

A few things in the description of the logsender in the SysAdminGuide-3.1 seem to be misleading:
Page 287: the address of the slave system.
Page 290: startlogsender -P 57222 -A slaveNode -T $GEMSTONE/data
Probably should be the IP address or DNS name of the master system not of the slave.

Page 411: -A listeningAddress the interface(s) on which the logsender will listen for
According to my observations it should be the IP address or DNS name not the interface.

Running without a slave stone:
If the logreceiver does not talk to a slave stone the tranlogDir needs to be seeded with a tranlog, otherwise the logreceiver requests tranlog number 1, which might not exist:
> client 0 CMD_SEND_FILE, 1.0
> Error opening file 1 , No valid logs were found.

Security implications:
I believe the logsender will happily service any logreceiver that is able to connect. Therefore access to the port of the logsender needs to be carefully controlled.
Furthermore I didn´t find any information whether the tranlog transfer is encrypted. If not, a secure network has to be used.

Any comments or clarifications ?

Kind regards
Georg

H group