how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

12

how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Randal L. Schwartz

In Squeak, the preference pane includes a "smart quotes" setting
(defaulting on, so I turn it off immediately).

I don't see one for Pharo.  It appears to be stuck on.

I need to turn this feature off, or my typing speed drastically reduces,
and my annoyance level is greatly increased.

It's not under Editing (Smart Updating isn't it).

Where's the preference?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Lukas Renggli
    World -> System -> Settings -> Code browsing -> eCompletion ->
Smart Characters

Alternatively:

    ECPreferences smartCharacters: false

www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Randal L. Schwartz

Lukas>     World -> System -> Settings -> Code browsing -> eCompletion ->
Lukas> Smart Characters

No such thing in the Seaside One-click image.  Just an abbreviated
"settings" browser that doesn't include smart characters.

Lukas> Alternatively:

Lukas>     ECPreferences smartCharacters: false

I found "PreferencesBrowser open" (doit), which opens the real
preferences browser.

It's unfortunate that I had to struggle with this.  Or maybe fortunate,
so that whomever is building this crippled image learns that sometimes
you can't predict all preferences, so maybe you ought to leave them all
selectable.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Lukas Renggli
The new one-click image is based on the Pharo-Dev images. Various
people seem to have reported issues with these images, please create
bug reports (in addition to reporting them here).

You can still download the images from my build server if you want.
They are built on Pharo-Core 1.1, they are configured to my personal
likings and I use them daily. The setting in question is definitely
there. Previous one-click images were based on these images.

    http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/seaside3/*zip*/seaside3.zip

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Can you let us know which versions? image? you are talking about.
May be the preference was not created.
If this is the case create a bug entry report.

Stef

On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> In Squeak, the preference pane includes a "smart quotes" setting
> (defaulting on, so I turn it off immediately).
>
> I don't see one for Pharo.  It appears to be stuck on.
>
> I need to turn this feature off, or my typing speed drastically reduces,
> and my annoyance level is greatly increased.
>
> It's not under Editing (Smart Updating isn't it).
>
> Where's the preference?

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Mariano Martinez Peck
Once I wrote this: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/CodeEditing/SmartCharactersAutocompletion/

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you let us know which versions? image? you are talking about.
May be the preference was not created.
If this is the case create a bug entry report.

Stef

On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> In Squeak, the preference pane includes a "smart quotes" setting
> (defaulting on, so I turn it off immediately).
>
> I don't see one for Pharo.  It appears to be stuck on.
>
> I need to turn this feature off, or my typing speed drastically reduces,
> and my annoyance level is greatly increased.
>
> It's not under Editing (Smart Updating isn't it).
>
> Where's the preference?

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Stéphane Ducasse
We should create a setting for it. I opened a ticket

Stef

On 19 July 2010 14:36, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We should create a setting for it. I opened a ticket

But there is a setting. There always was a setting.

Lukas

> Stef
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Once I wrote this: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/CodeEditing/SmartCharactersAutocompletion/
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can you let us know which versions? image? you are talking about.
>> May be the preference was not created.
>> If this is the case create a bug entry report.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>>

>> > In Squeak, the preference pane includes a "smart quotes" setting
>> > (defaulting on, so I turn it off immediately).
>> >
>> > I don't see one for Pharo.  It appears to be stuck on.
>> >
>> > I need to turn this feature off, or my typing speed drastically reduces,
>> > and my annoyance level is greatly increased.
>> >
>> > It's not under Editing (Smart Updating isn't it).
>> >
>> > Where's the preference?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
>> > <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>> > Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>> > See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Randal L. Schwartz

Stéphane> Can you let us know which versions? image? you are talking about.
Stéphane> May be the preference was not created.

It's the image at
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0rc.app.zip
which is linked from www.seaside.st.

Clearly, this is a derived bundle, based on Pharo, but I don't recall
who is responsible for it.

I'm posting this for a bit wider awareness though.  First, I hate smart
quotes, and am not sure why they're enabled by default so often.

Second, please don't *hide* the preference to get rid of them.  That's
even sillier.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Stéphane Ducasse
Randall

apparently you are wrong :)
see the mail of lukas.

Stef

> Stéphane> May be the preference was not created.
>
> It's the image at
> http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0rc.app.zip
> which is linked from www.seaside.st.
>
> Clearly, this is a derived bundle, based on Pharo, but I don't recall
> who is responsible for it.
>
> I'm posting this for a bit wider awareness though.  First, I hate smart
> quotes, and am not sure why they're enabled by default so often.
>
> Second, please don't *hide* the preference to get rid of them.  That's
> even sillier.

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Randal L. Schwartz

Stéphane> apparently you are wrong :)
Stéphane> see the mail of lukas.

What part of it is wrong?

If you download the image I just linked, and pull up "settings" (which
is the only preferency thing you can get from the menus) it does *not*
have any control for smart quotes.  It's a crippled version.

If you open a workspace, and then launch directly:

  PreferenceBrower open

you *can* get to a preference browser that can control smart quotes.

So, what part of what I just said is wrong?

(a) that image has smart quotes enabled by default
(b) that image has no menu access to disabling smart quotes
(c) that image is based on Pharo

Those are all *fact*.

Lukas> On 19 July 2010 14:36, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We should create a setting for it. I opened a ticket

Lukas> But there is a setting. There always was a setting.

And you can't get to it from "Settings", which is a crippled version
of the real "Preference" pane.  Seems to be only the settings that the
repackager thought was important.

Can we please remind me how that image gets created?  I've lost track of
the players.

WHO MAKES THE SEASIDE ONE CLICK?  And what is its lineage, and why is
the real preference-browser menu item removed?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I will admit that eCompletion is the first thing I disable in any new image, but if the point is that it is useful if one selects and then types, could it simply apply the smart characters only when there is a slection as the character is typed?  In that case, typing [ would do just that, typing [ when there is a selection would wrap the selection in [].  Just a thought.

Bill

On Jul 19, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Stéphane> apparently you are wrong :)
> Stéphane> see the mail of lukas.
>
> What part of it is wrong?
>
> If you download the image I just linked, and pull up "settings" (which
> is the only preferency thing you can get from the menus) it does *not*
> have any control for smart quotes.

Ok I checked and I could not find it

>  It's a crippled version.

I do not know what you mean

> If you open a workspace, and then launch directly:
>
>  PreferenceBrower open
>
> you *can* get to a preference browser that can control smart quotes.

We removed it in 1.2 :)

> So, what part of what I just said is wrong?
>
> (a) that image has smart quotes enabled by default
> (b) that image has no menu access to disabling smart quotes

(b) but you were not wrong and we will create a setting for it.

> (c) that image is based on Pharo
>
> Those are all *fact*.

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Martin McClure-2
On 07/19/2010 07:44 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Stef,
>
> I will admit that eCompletion is the first thing I disable in any new image,

Me too (well, the smartCharacters anyway).

> but if the point is that it is useful if one selects and then types, could it simply apply the smart characters only when there is a slection as the character is typed?  In that case, typing [ would do just that, typing [ when there is a selection would wrap the selection in [].  Just a thought.

I like this idea -- smartCharacters might be useful if it only took
effect with a non-null selection. As it is, trying to type 'foo' is just
too annoying to leave it on.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Nick

but if the point is that it is useful if one selects and then types, could it simply apply the smart characters only when there is a slection as the character is typed?  In that case, typing [ would do just that, typing [ when there is a selection would wrap the selection in [].  Just a thought.

I like this idea -- smartCharacters might be useful if it only took effect with a non-null selection. As it is, trying to type 'foo' is just too annoying to leave it on.

+1

It's also a frustration for those new to Smalltalk as the editor doesn't behave in the way they're used to from their current programming editors. We noticed this when we ran the introduction to Smalltalk at the recent CampSmalltalk London.

However having the "Smart Character" off when you type, but on for a selection so they magically wrap around selected text would in my view, be a perfect compromise.

2010/7/31 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>:

>>> but if the point is that it is useful if one selects and then types,
>>> could it simply apply the smart characters only when there is a slection as
>>> the character is typed?  In that case, typing [ would do just that, typing [
>>> when there is a selection would wrap the selection in [].  Just a thought.
>>
>> I like this idea -- smartCharacters might be useful if it only took effect
>> with a non-null selection. As it is, trying to type 'foo' is just too
>> annoying to leave it on.
>>

> +1
> It's also a frustration for those new to Smalltalk as the editor doesn't
> behave in the way they're used to from their current programming editors. We
> noticed this when we ran the introduction to Smalltalk at the recent
> CampSmalltalk London.
> However having the "Smart Character" off when you type, but on for a
> selection so they magically wrap around selected text would in my view, be a
> perfect compromise.

I don't know if we talk about the same thing, but smart characters
behave the same way in my Pharo images as they do in Eclipse and in
TextMate.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Nick

I don't know if we talk about the same thing, but smart characters
behave the same way in my Pharo images as they do in Eclipse and in
TextMate.

My apologies - I've just downloaded the latest Eclipse and you are correct the smart-characters work in a similar manor. However one important usability difference is that when entering a string, my brain won't stop my fingers from closing the quote - even though my eyes see "Smart Characters" have automatically inserted the closing quote. On Eclipse the editor infers I'm typing the closing quote/bracket etc and skips over the already inserted "Smart Character", in Pharo it inserts another set of quotes giving me three quotes at the end of my string and leaving the insertion point between the first the second quote.  I think this issue was shared by our CampSmalltalk beginners.

<aside>
I've noticed that the builds I download from http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch have a different autocomplete to the ones I download from http://pharo-project.org. The autocomplete on the builds from Lukas seem a lot faster - I find scrolling down in an autocomplete in the standard pharo build often unbearable slow. Another difference is the added useful feature of being able to view method detail from the autocomplete with right arrow. Is there a way to load the Lukas build autocomplete on-top of a standard Pharo image? Why the difference?
 </aside>

Nick

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Lukas Renggli
>> I don't know if we talk about the same thing, but smart characters
>> behave the same way in my Pharo images as they do in Eclipse and in
>> TextMate.
>
> My apologies - I've just downloaded the latest Eclipse and you are correct
> the smart-characters work in a similar manor. However one important
> usability difference is that when entering a string, my brain won't stop my
> fingers from closing the quote - even though my eyes see "Smart Characters"
> have automatically inserted the closing quote. On Eclipse the editor infers
> I'm typing the closing quote/bracket etc and skips over the already inserted
> "Smart Character", in Pharo it inserts another set of quotes giving me three
> quotes at the end of my string and leaving the insertion point between the
> first the second quote.  I think this issue was shared by our CampSmalltalk
> beginners.

That's fairly easy to adapt, please try the following version from

  Name: ECompletion-lr.126
  Author: lr
  Time: 31 July 2010, 4:10:04 pm
  UUID: 777d55d6-95e9-4630-a5ac-b35347286646
  Ancestors: ECompletion-lr.125

  - try to be smarter with smart characters

> <aside>
> I've noticed that the builds I download from http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch
> have a different autocomplete to the ones I download
> from http://pharo-project.org. The autocomplete on the builds from Lukas
> seem a lot faster - I find scrolling down in an autocomplete in the standard
> pharo build often unbearable slow. Another difference is the added useful
> feature of being able to view method detail from the autocomplete with right
> arrow. Is there a way to load the Lukas build autocomplete on-top of a
> standard Pharo image? Why the difference?
>  </aside>

oCompletion is an "extended" version of eCompletion that I use in my images.

You and I are not the only ones that prefer eCompletion, I know of
quite a few other people that think so too.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how do I turn off "smart" quotes in Pharo Seaside one-click image

Nick
Hi Lukas,

 Author: lr
 Time: 31 July 2010, 4:10:04 pm
 UUID: 777d55d6-95e9-4630-a5ac-b35347286646
 Ancestors: ECompletion-lr.125

 - try to be smarter with smart characters

Thanks for the that - it's getting there. A couple of issues:

* The change appears to have introduced odd delete behaviour. When I delete a character within smart quotes, a character *and* the ending smart quote is deleted - different behaviour to prior to your change,

* If I enter:  ('   in Eclipse when I type:  ') it skips over both the closing ' and the closing ).

Apologies for my pedantry.

Nick

12