how pass an instruction in an already running image

how pass an instruction in an already running image

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I have a running image that I trigger from the command line. What ways are there to make this running image react to some other command sent from the command line?

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how pass an instruction in an already running image

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Doru,

On 05 Nov 2012, at 10:31, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have a running image that I trigger from the command line. What ways are there to make this running image react to some other command sent from the command line?

Cheers,
Doru

The ideal solution, IMO, would be some local telnet access that gives you a REPL.

What I do with server images, is to install a small, protected Seaside application that groups a number of the tools already present in Seaside into a control panel: a browser, an inspector that can also execute code and some status views. This gives you a primitive but effective interface to see what is going on. It works surprisingly well.

You can find the code here:

MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/BetaNinePublic'
user: ''
password: ''

BetaNine-Seaside-Pi-SvenVanCaekenberghe.2

Here are some screenshots:

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: how pass an instruction in an already running image

Tudor Girba-2
Nice. I already thought about the Seaside interface.

But, what do I do if I want to script the commands? For example, I would like to orchestrate the building of a new image in the background, and when the second one is ready to shut down the first one.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how pass an instruction in an already running image

Pavel Krivanek-3
Maybe some more complex version of this:

http://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel-2.0/OSProcessEvaluator.st

-- Pavel

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
Interesting.
We will start a project a bit similar where we can build images….

Stef

On Nov 5, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Maybe some more complex version of this:
>
> http://gitorious.org/pharo-build/pharo-build/blobs/master/scripts/pharo/Kernel-2.0/OSProcessEvaluator.st
>
> -- Pavel
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice. I already thought about the Seaside interface.
>
> But, what do I do if I want to script the commands? For example, I would like to orchestrate the building of a new image in the background, and when the second one is ready to shut down the first one.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Doru,
>
> On 05 Nov 2012, at 10:31, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a running image that I trigger from the command line. What ways are there to make this running image react to some other command sent from the command line?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>
> The ideal solution, IMO, would be some local telnet access that gives you a REPL.
>
> What I do with server images, is to install a small, protected Seaside application that groups a number of the tools already present in Seaside into a control panel: a browser, an inspector that can also execute code and some status views. This gives you a primitive but effective interface to see what is going on. It works surprisingly well.
>
> You can find the code here:
>
> MCHttpRepository
> location: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/BetaNinePublic'
> user: ''
> password: ''
>
> BetaNine-Seaside-Pi-SvenVanCaekenberghe.2
>
> Here are some screenshots:
>
> <Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 10.52.23.png>
>
> <Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 10.59.41.png>
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how pass an instruction in an already running image

Tudor Girba-2
Interesting indeed.

I tried it on Windows, but it does not work:
Startup Error: FileWriteError: File stdout is closed

Any idea of what the problem is?

Cheers,
Doru

--